Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 31st, 2016, 11:11 AM
My thoughts is I "love" the idea of a web based player version of RW. This will be of great use both at a game session and away as my players are not all locked into Windows and laptops. In addition during the work week some of my players have no access to computers (ie Window based Laptops) but do have access to tablet/phones. Several have voiced the desire to read up on the last games information but can't do it on the phone/tablet devices. RW Web Based player edition will be most welcome.

As a DM I admit I am not too excited about a web version for the DM. The desktop software already runs slow and I can't imagine it running faster on a web server. Like others would hate to suddenly have "internet" connection issues during a game. I am glad to hear that the desktop version is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #81 Reply With Quote
wurzel

Old October 31st, 2016, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
You can have my desktop version when you pry it out of my cold, dead tentacles.
Well said. +1

DM: Tol'Uluk - game system independent homebrew world (so far AD&D 2, D&D3.5, Fate, Pathfinder, D&D5)
Tools: RW, CC3+, CD3, DD3, HL
RL: Retired senior IT manager. Now just housewife, grandma and fantasy author.
wurzel is offline   #82 Reply With Quote
Ladyofdragons

Old November 3rd, 2016, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
My thoughts is I "love" the idea of a web based player version of RW. This will be of great use both at a game session and away as my players are not all locked into Windows and laptops. In addition during the work week some of my players have no access to computers (ie Window based Laptops) but do have access to tablet/phones. Several have voiced the desire to read up on the last games information but can't do it on the phone/tablet devices. RW Web Based player edition will be most welcome.
I had exactly this discussion with players last night, hoping to get a way for them to see the content wherever/whenever. Player web view would be awesome, DM web tools isn't something I'm interested in.

-------------------------------------
"...You're going to backstab him with a ballista?"
Ladyofdragons is offline   #83 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old November 3rd, 2016, 11:02 AM
EightBitz and Shadow speak for me.

On this, at least.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #84 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old November 4th, 2016, 04:49 PM
Agreed, I have not really a need for a web based version for DMs...

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #85 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old November 5th, 2016, 08:23 AM
While I can see a use for a web based DM version for those moments when I have an idea or time to kill away from my desktop unit, I have to agree that it is not a priority for me. Having the player's able to see revealed information on tablets and phones is much more useful.
Gord is offline   #86 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old November 5th, 2016, 11:44 AM
This needs to follow the new concept of.. Give the people working read only player Web access asap and develop it over time. I would kill for the version shown in the video over a year ago just so I can start to get my players into my world without the need for a standalone application.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #87 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 5th, 2016, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
This needs to follow the new concept of.. Give the people working read only player Web access asap and develop it over time. I would kill for the version shown in the video over a year ago just so I can start to get my players into my world without the need for a standalone application.
This was never a "new concept". The plan was always to start with the web version for players, then make it a tool for in-game use for GMs, and then evolve the entire product to the web. Each of those stages opens up RW to a much wider audience in a systematic manner.

And we NEED a web-based version for GMs to support folks who either (a) aren't Windows users or (b) don't want the bulk of a laptop at the table during play. Yes, there are gamers out there like that!
rob is offline   #88 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old November 5th, 2016, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
This was never a "new concept". The plan was always to start with the web version for players, then make it a tool for in-game use for GMs, and then evolve the entire product to the web. Each of those stages opens up RW to a much wider audience in a systematic manner.

And we NEED a web-based version for GMs to support folks who either (a) aren't Windows users or (b) don't want the bulk of a laptop at the table during play. Yes, there are gamers out there like that!
Is it really worth the work for the GM web tool for those 23 possible buyers?

I jest of course.

Player web view would be a boon, especially if it could connect live/real time to the GM tool.

But I want to voice my support of the windows GM tool, for the rest of the millions who do use Windows, this is the shiznat! I personally am little despondent at the regression of apps to web. Oh sure bejeweled is cool, but it is no Skyrim. Likewise, I would not want to see RW GM client be the next bejeweled web app.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #89 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old November 6th, 2016, 04:46 PM
Tablet support would be fantastic. And that's what the GM version on the web would provide. It's also a good option for older laptops as the processing and loading would be limited by the internet rather than the CPU/memory.
AEIOU is offline   #90 Reply With Quote