Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Acenoid

Old July 6th, 2014, 09:17 AM
For me neither the Calendar update nor the player edition would change alot.

The Calender I can track also via a few dedicated topics and links if I want to. (But the complexity of my games is probably just a 1/100th of what you guys are all up to

The player edition is probably of zero use to me as well. Iam almost 100% sure that none of the players in my group would like to spent money on this product. And why should I buy it for them? They are making their own notes during the games and if they want to know something, I can still look it up in RW (or my own notes). But this is completely my own point of view and it is no problem at all for me if this is the "next big feature" that is being released. I'm happy if you're having a success story with your product.
Also I don't plan to use the cloud service as well, so I will miss out on a few great features I think as well, but a monthly for storing my own data, that no one else will ever look at? I would share my stories / campaigns for free though if it would be posisble to make partial imports into other Databases. I hope that such support will be added one day.

Well just a short comment from me about this no harm done :P
Acenoid is offline   #101 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 8th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
If Kickstarter can create time or provide programmers that are already up-to-speed, I'm sure they'd be all over it.... Money is always good but I don't think it's the limiter right now.
I couldn't have said it any better...
rob is offline   #102 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 8th, 2014, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
True, and while its easy to wish for the moon, its another to plan the trip.... perhaps Liz could set up a polling to at least be a weather vane of other features and there importance to the community?
This already exists in the form of the "Feature Requests" forum. The more +1's that a particular feature gets, the higher it ends up on our priority list. Of course, there are other factors at play that I mention in my earlier post, so it's not the ONLY criteria we use, but that forum is a major influence.

Quote:
Although I am personally confused, on the release of the RW Kickstarter the calendar was listed as "nearly complete" even the beta testers have seen it... where did it digress so from "nearly complete" to " what sounds like total rebuild?
There are two distinct pieces to the calendar. There's the inner mechanisms that drive it and there's the interface that users will leverage to create and customize their personal calendars. The inner mechanisms are basically done, needing on a few tweaks based on feedback from the Beta team. The interface, however, is really poor and needs a complete rewrite. So we need to redo PART of the calendars mechanism - not the whole thing.
rob is offline   #103 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 8th, 2014, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Whilst I'm keen to have an in-game Calendar, it is only to tag diary/journal entries. I've no interest in linking calendars together, I just want to be able to enter a date into RW in a "world calendar" format.
All the logic for linking calendars together is completed and working well. So that's not going to slow anything down. We need to redo the interface for letting users create and customize their personal calendars. And that's fundamental to supporting custom calendars in any manner whatsoever.
rob is offline   #104 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old July 8th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
All the logic for linking calendars together is completed and working well. So that's not going to slow anything down. We need to redo the interface for letting users create and customize their personal calendars. And that's fundamental to supporting custom calendars in any manner whatsoever.
And as fate would have it, rob, the features that users are begging for are the ones that give you the most design/programming problems.
ruhar is offline   #105 Reply With Quote
boojumbunn

Old July 17th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Well, drat. I guess add my name to those looking forward to the Calendar feature. I was just about to start entering world data for Golaria in for the Emerald Spire game I'm going to be starting in a few months and the first thing I went to was Calendar.
boojumbunn is offline   #106 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old July 18th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
There are two distinct pieces to the calendar. There's the inner mechanisms that drive it and there's the interface that users will leverage to create and customize their personal calendars. The inner mechanisms are basically done, needing on a few tweaks based on feedback from the Beta team. The interface, however, is really poor and needs a complete rewrite. So we need to redo PART of the calendars mechanism - not the whole thing.
Ah... Thanks Rob, for clarifiying......that sheds alot of light on calendar status...
Side bar, indirect question......

Once the calendar aspects come to fruition, will they also be incorporated into the player software?

Clarifying,,, Say I have a player that has one character that keeps a diary but uses the elvish calendar, while another character (used by same Player) uses the common calendar (ie local) for the same purpose.... would this be possible?
Curently in my campaign, we have 7 different calendars based on different cultures.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #107 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 18th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Once the calendar aspects come to fruition, will they also be incorporated into the player software?
Calendars are considered "structure". That means they are treated like categories and tags. If they are defined, they exist everywhere for the content to build upon. So yes, players will have full access to calendars and will be able to leverage different ones for journals. That's something the Beta team had access to before we realized that journals needed a revamp to be more versatile and flexible, and it will definitely be included once calendars and journals get their needed overhauls.
rob is offline   #108 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old July 26th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Just read the stuff in the July email. I have been, and still am, an enthusiastic proponent and backer of this program and I think rob and his team are doing great work and I almost never say anything negative.

However, given how important calendars and time are to campaigns and given the extensive response here, not to mention that this was at one point a 1.0 feature, I must confess deep disappointment that the calendars are not listed in the Path Forward area.

I really hope that this functionality makes it to us by end of summer.
weogarth is offline   #109 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 26th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Calendars are part of the "other valuable features in parallel" that are mentioned in the Path Forward section. The biggest and highest profile capabilities are the two that were called out specifically. Then there is "everything else", and that list needs to be prioritized AFTER we get Player Edition out the door. That stuff will be worked on in parallel with the big capabilities. So absolutely nothing has changed from what I've indicated previously.

Please don't read into the newsletter anything extra. It's a high-level overview suitable for users of all of our products and kept brief for the massive newsletter.
rob is offline   #110 Reply With Quote