Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

kineticmedic

Old August 19th, 2018, 04:26 PM
I'm trying to add a new Monastic Tradition but I'm finding the editor extremely unwieldy and there doesn't seem to be any specific tutorials I can follow specific to Monastic traditions. Can anyone point me in the right direction or willing to be my guru?

Thanks!

-KM
kineticmedic is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old August 21st, 2018, 03:50 PM
Subclasses can be tricky, depending on the complexity. The Way of the Four Elements monk is tough because it has standard class abilities and then a ton of secondaries. The Way of Shadow monk is a lot easier to implement.

So depending on which one you're looking at mirroring you could go into the editor and look at the way both are set up.

In the editor, on the Class tab - all subclasses (tradition, archetypes, etc.) are always defined in the Custom Ability subtab.

In a fresh file, you can do a New (Copy) and bring up one of the above monastic traditions and scroll through the bootstraps and buttons to see how a basic subclass gets defined.

The majority of the traditions abilities are likely to be defined on the Class Special tab. You create each of the class special abilities there and after you save and test them, you can bootstrap them to the tradition you define over on Custom Ability.

The weird secondary special abilities, like the Way of the Four Elements styles, or the Arcane Archer's arrows and even Favored Terrains are defined under that Custom Ability tab - this is where the eval script on Way of the Four Elements comes in. It defines what the secondary abilities are called and how many you get at what level. It's a bit much to wrap your head around. However, you can still do the New (Copy) trick on this page and bring up secondary abilities from Wot4E to see how they are defined - these don't get bootstrapped and only show up after you reload the system or create a new monk to put your tradition on.

Tip: If an ability you are creating doesn't show up, try reloading HL - the Test button is just buggy that way.
dungeonguru is offline   #2 Reply With Quote