Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Steve
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 6th, 2014, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryQuandary View Post
I'm having an issues with the Search feature. I think it seems to be searching on type, but not name. For example, if I search for Ogre, I get several monster, including an orgekin, but not an Ogre. If I search for Giant, I get several creatures with the Giant subtype, like an Ogre, but no Giants (as Hill, or Stone).
This can happen if you do not have the package containing the creature. For example, the Stone Giant and the Ogre are both from the Bestiary.

Does the creature appear if you scroll down, rather than using search?

You can also change "Hide characters..." at the bottom to "Show all...". This will show you all creatures, even if you do not have their package.

Last edited by Steve; March 6th, 2014 at 10:45 PM.
Steve is offline   #51
Steve
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 6th, 2014, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by casiel View Post
Is it possible to import .por files into the Encounter so that custom-created characters can be included in an encounter? That way we could add a Boss NPC to a group of monsters for an overall encounter.
If you save *.por portfolio files in the Game System Data Folder, they will appear the next time you launch the Encounter Builder.

You can locate the Game System Data Folder through the Tools menu by selecting Explore Folders -> Game System Data Folder.
Steve is offline   #52
Steve
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 6th, 2014, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorzatTheGray View Post
You can quickly import PC's from the portfolio/encounter they were last in by using this:

Portfolio->Import Hero From Portfolio...

This allows you to only import the PCs from the saved portfolio. So save the encounter/portfolio they are leaving, open new encounter portfolio and then import them with the current stats that they were last saved with. Takes just a few clicks of the mouse.
You could try doing this the other way around. First, build each encounter, and save each portfolio. Second, load the portfolio with the heroes.

Then as the heroes reach each encounter, load creatures from that encounter, and when the encounter is over, delete the imported creatures.

Last edited by Steve; March 6th, 2014 at 11:00 PM.
Steve is offline   #53
plays2many_rps

Old March 7th, 2014, 02:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
You could try doing this the other way around. First, build each encounter, and save each portfolio. Second, load the portfolio with the heroes.

Then as the heroes reach each encounter, load creatures from that encounter, and when the encounter is over, delete the imported creatures.
If I am understanding you correctly; I would create encounter portfolios for each encounter & as the PCs came up to them import each encounter into the main portfolio for the PCs?

**Edit to add**
On a separate note:
I have downloaded the Pathfinder data file multiple times from the link provided in the email & each time I get the message that the file is corrupt and can't be used.

Last edited by plays2many_rps; March 7th, 2014 at 02:27 AM.
plays2many_rps is offline   #54
CorzatTheGray

Old March 7th, 2014, 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plays2many_rps View Post
If I am understanding you correctly; I would create encounter portfolios for each encounter & as the PCs came up to them import each encounter into the main portfolio for the PCs?
Correct. Then it's just house cleaning the previous encounter from the main PC portfolio before importing the creatures from the next.

Portfolio containing the PCs created before your group meets, combined with the various encounter portfolios created before hand and you're running your group through the adventure with only the main PC portfolio open, but with liberal use of the options found under the Portfolio-> button.

Import, run encounter, delete, repeat. All from the main PC portfolio.

Currently Playing: Pathfinder - Skull & Shackles AP
Current Character: Legendary Gunslinger 11
Currently DMing: D&D 5E - AAW Games A-Series
CorzatTheGray is offline   #55
CorzatTheGray

Old March 7th, 2014, 06:44 AM
As I'm playing around with the EB a little more, I have yet to encounter any bugs with what I've been doing, so that's good!!

After importing A LOT of stock creatures and several of my own unique characters, I'd like to see an option much like the "include enemies already in portfolio..." for the party's APL as well. Essentially this would be tracking the APL of all allies in the portfolio. So while keeping track of the "Enemies" side it would also keep track of the "Allies" side as well. Allowing an even more custom tailored encounter for the party. This might even allow for a target APL tracker/budget as well.

I'm envisioning on the left for the Allies a "Target APL" ticker, once ticked up, a check box to include Allies already in Portfolio and on the right side for the Enemies just what we have now with a CR ticker and check box. In the center the Encounter difficulty for various APL much as it is now and Current CR and Current APL tracker.

As it stands now, the Allies get no love in the EB. Once imported into the portfolio as an ally, the EB doesn't account for what is in the portfolio already in any way.

Currently Playing: Pathfinder - Skull & Shackles AP
Current Character: Legendary Gunslinger 11
Currently DMing: D&D 5E - AAW Games A-Series
CorzatTheGray is offline   #56
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 7th, 2014, 06:10 PM
Thanks for everyone's feedback! A new thread will be opening shortly to mark the second encounter builder beta release.
Colen is offline   #57
Closed Thread