Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

EightBitz

Old November 18th, 2014, 01:28 PM
I would like to have a Dresden Files data set. Looking through the comments, it seems like some others would as well. I've tried figuring things out for myself, and as usual, I'm stuck at certain points.

I've already checked the documentation. I've already tried experimenting and finding resolutions on my own. But I'm stuck again, and was wondering if I could get some guidance. I'm not expecting anyone to write me a book or to write large chunks of code for me. The basic types of answers I'm expecting here are something akin to the following:

a) "yes, here's a simple way to do that ..."
b) "as things stand, that can't be done."
c) "that can be done, but it's not simple."

And if it's not simple, I'll understand if you don't want to offer a more complete answer.

Thanks in advance.

1) How can I automatically add a 4th and 5th aspect. I know how to add the phases, and I know how to allow for 5 aspects, but I want all 5 aspects automatically added as well.

2a) I've added a "Social" stress track. When I add a consequence, I can only select "Physical" or "Mental". How can I add "Social"?
2b) I'd also like to add "Any" as an option.

3) Say I have a character who is allowed 3 consequences
3a) How can I automatically add a certain number of consequences?
3b) How can I limit the number of consequences?

4) I'd like to be able to add character templates, where there would be a dropdown list or scrolling list or something where a template can be picked, and that would then add certain skills/stunts, and maybe require skill A or skill B. Is there a way to add such an option to list and choose templates?
EightBitz is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old November 20th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Never mind. I've made more progress on my own, and I've found more help elsewhere. Sorry if I've been a pest.
EightBitz is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
KingFrog

Old November 26th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Please don't be sorry! I, for one, learn a lot from your posted questions and the responses you get.

I learned to program in the 1980s. Yes, that was a very long time ago, and my languages of choice are things like REXX. I've never worked in an environment where /I/ had to know HTML, XML, or any scripting language that looked even vaguely like this one. As a result, I'm an experienced programmer who is having /fits/ trying to decipher how to get Hero Lab's Authoring Kit to do what I want.

I'm not complaining about the product - it's FANTASTIC. I really like it. I love the flexibility. I'm pleased that I can be confident that /somewhere/ there is a way to do what I want. But the combination of dense code, cryptic syntax and incomplete doc means it can take me a LONG time to find things. Sometimes I literally go through files, one by one, searching for strings out of error messages I'm getting to find the file where something is happening. How some things are linked is still a mystery to me, and I will admit to not fully understanding the author's ways of splitting data and function - sometimes I think there /must/ have been a way to do it that would be easier to decipher, but since I'm not the guy who had to make it all work, I can't say for certainty.

I also hesitate to ask too many questions. For any question I ask, there are generally several days of pounding my head against a wall before I post my query, and if the answer is simple it's...well, discouraging.

So, don't despair. There are a lot of us learning from what you're asking, and the responses are helping more people than just you.

I, for example, am trying to get "Advances" to allow me to add a new skill to a character. I have five files open in editors at the moment, chasing the pieces around, and still can't figure out why what I've done is giving me the results it is. I don't doubt that somewhere I don't grok the syntax correctly.

Oh, and as a final aside, if you ever get Dresden Files working, I'd love to see that - I've played in a campaign of that before, and may again, so I'd love having functional files for it. And if I ever get them working, I'll try to make the Traveller stuff available, if I can.

KingFrog
KingFrog is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Wombat1965

Old September 4th, 2015, 07:31 AM
Hi I am new to hero lab and I am running a game which is not a strict Dresden files campaign and I am using it as a base in the fate core option on hero lab (I have no idea how to code) I am looking for simple ways to add both social stress track and add "custom" languages could some one tell me if this is possible

thanks
Wombat1965 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
thornlord

Old November 6th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Hi EightBitz, would it be possible to view your finished files, please?

I've been trying to teach myself how to use the authoring kit but cannot really get an idea where to begin.

And with Dresden Files being a favourite game of mine this sounds very helpful.

T.
thornlord is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old January 30th, 2016, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
1) How can I automatically add a 4th and 5th aspect. I know how to add the phases, and I know how to allow for 5 aspects, but I want all 5 aspects automatically added as well.
I don't know if you already figured this out, but I found it out.

Add this to your Campaign thing:
Quote:
<autoadd thing="aspCustom" portal="baAspect4"></autoadd>
<autoadd thing="aspCustom" portal="baAspect5"></autoadd>
That should add a Aspect to each of the new History phases.
TCArknight is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old January 30th, 2016, 09:26 PM
Hey, thanks. Yes, I got it working a while ago, but I very much appreciate your reply.

I'm now waiting for social consequences to be added. And I have to fix a lot of "Description" fields. Other than that, I think my Dresden Files set is functional ... if a bit awkward.

Working on Numenera now.
EightBitz is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Rifkind

Old May 11th, 2016, 06:04 AM
EightBitz, I'd also be interested in seeing your Dresden File mods - I'm working on this myself .
Rifkind is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old May 12th, 2016, 08:34 AM
I would like feedback and/or suggestions. It kinda gets frustrating when someone asks to look at my work then never tells me whether or not they liked what I did or how I might be able to improve it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DresdenFiles.zip (73.6 KB, 18 views)
EightBitz is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Rifkind

Old May 25th, 2016, 06:07 PM
Following up, EightBitz, I have to say that I find it completely delightful! I've made all of my NPCs using your templates and campaigns with no trouble at all. I'm hoping to run a session soon (sadly, my players have been out of town) and see how useful having everything in Hero Lab is, as compared to paper and also as compared to using it on Pathfinder, and then I'll report back again.

Thanks very much!
Rifkind is offline   #10 Reply With Quote