Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Prince of Morgoth

Old October 2nd, 2014, 07:29 AM
It would be handy to have the option to display not only the Pin itself but the text label on the player screen. That way players can see a pin and know what is is.
Prince of Morgoth is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
llothos

Old March 12th, 2015, 12:11 AM
I would have second this. I did notice in Realm Works player edition that if you mouse over the pin it will show the label but that doesn't work in player view (and it's not always showing). Having a toggle to turn on or off the labels would be great.

Further to this I would have a Player facing description which could be different then the GM facing one.

I was just setting up for my next session and though it would be great if I didn't have to edit the maps to put the descriptions physically on the map. It would be so much easier if we could either have the pin label show up or even the ability to manually add a label to the map. I know RW is not a mapping or image editing software but this isn't a big request...it may be on a programming stand point I guess and I do hope this becomes a feature as it will make the GM's life a lot easier.

I will grab a map and put in in RW and start adding pins and then realize I should really add labels, now I have to edit the image and reattach it to RW then re-add pins only to have to do it all over again when I realized I either missed or want to add something more.
llothos is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 12th, 2015, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by llothos View Post
I will grab a map and put in in RW and start adding pins and then realize I should really add labels, now I have to edit the image and reattach it to RW then re-add pins only to have to do it all over again when I realized I either missed or want to add something more.
Realm Works lets you swap out the map image with a new image of the same size without blowing away the pins. So adding labels would be a matter of editing the original image, add the labels and then replace the image in Realm Works and shouldn't entail re-adding pins.
davidp is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Tocath

Old April 28th, 2015, 12:15 PM
A huge +1 to this.

When I mentioned this issue to LW support, this was the response.

Quote:
Player View (i.e. showing on a separate monitor on the same monitor in a different window) does not allow interaction with the content, it is a view only experience.

It is assumed that the Player View could be on a monitor that the GM cannot even see (such as a monitor facing the players in front of him, acting as a GM screen, also, or as a TV mounted on the wall behind him) where it is inconvenient to turn around and manipulate the mouse to see where the mouse is on the second monitor.

So having anything interactive there would be problematic for at least some arrangements and so we made the decision that it is view only and non-interactive.
Regardless of whether GMs can see the player screen or not (in my setup I most certainly can), when we show a map on the player screen, players will want to know what the pins represent. GMs need to have some way to show the content of those pins to the players.

Potential Solution / Feature Request: When in player preview mode, allow the GM's mouse interactions inside that preview window to have an effect on the real display. IE, if a GM rolls over or clicks on a pin, it should show in both the preview and the player view on the second monitor. This functionality is already present for resizing and moving windows around, why not for other interactions? And best of all, this solution would work equally well for GMs who can see the screen and those who cannot.

Ideally this functionality would even extend to being able to click on links in articles inside a window. If I have a window showing a list of murder suspects they identified last session, it would be great to be able to click through directly to each suspect rather than bringing up a new window for each, making it visible, resizing it, moving it, etc.
Tocath is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
GThiel

Old May 23rd, 2015, 10:07 AM
+++++1

I use RW during gaming sessions using two monitors, and it would really really really be useful if a pin in the Player View could have it's Name/Label displayed. It does little good to have just a pin showing leading to the following:

P: What's the pin over there mean?

GM: Which over there, the North over there or the West over there.

P: No the one down in the South east .. .. ..

Perhaps an additional field could be added to Pins that could contain Short text label that can be revealed to players. Each pin could have 3 states; Not shown, just pin, and pin plus text.

Or if nothing else, give each pin an automatic number on the image and that is automatically displayed, then player(s) could ask to know what revealed pin #6 is.
GThiel is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old May 23rd, 2015, 12:12 PM
Definitely. Pins need development. Text labels, colors, shapes, icons, GM only text....
AEIOU is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
JustinThomason

Old May 23rd, 2015, 01:21 PM
I would also love to see the pin labels on the player view. We use pins on the player viewable map on a big screen that we can all see. It's sort of annoying to not have the labels pop up on mouse over.

And I agree whole heartedly with @AEIOU - I'd love to see more options for customizing pins. Additional colors, shapes, or icons would be most appreciated to help key different types of content.
JustinThomason is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old May 23rd, 2015, 03:08 PM
I'm planning a game with the Milky Way split into about 30 sectors, each with a number of pins representing star systems. Maybe up to 100 systems per sector. That would easily get crowded...

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old May 24th, 2015, 01:59 AM
I think the RW map tool is not ready for that much contents.

Link and list in RW have everything sorted by sector and quadrants, put smaller pieces of maps and navigation in RW with smart images:

- Whole map (30 pins) containing sectors
- 30 Sector maps that contain either subsectors with 25 sytems each or all systems in it.
- Create on pin at the border to navigate out.

This way you can create your regions and easily navigate (zoom in and out) in your world.

Then you need the player map, which the player can use: Either search for something like this already online or: Download google earth, upload a custom picture in Google earth containing a high resolution map of all your systems, save it under my places. Add one more layer for your planets and naming of the sectors, build everything in there.

Now you have a GM map for your linking and navigation pleasure (and it does not have to look super friendly theoretically a B/W map with dots and description is nice enough. While you could share on 2nd screen or via kmz file from Google earth a nice complete star map.

Obviously it does not work if you would like to present each "secret system" on your interactive map. For such special cases you can use your RW map and add a few more pins were arppropiate (and it is not cluttered for the players, because your RW "GM pins" are still unrevealed - only you need those).

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old May 24th, 2015, 02:02 AM
PS I htink creating such a detailed and complete map is overkill. I would suggest that you just create what you will need in the forthcoming sessions in detail and only make a short paragraph about the far away sectors....

Imagine if you have added 100 star systems, but the players are going to visit in the next 6 session only 3 of those systems. For my SR adventures, I am also only adding those districts that are currently needed for the campaign

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #10 Reply With Quote