Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

eponette

Old October 25th, 2016, 11:45 AM
I'm not sure to catch the subtle difference between storyline (in the event group) and plot hooks (in the Other group). Someone can help me?
eponette is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old October 25th, 2016, 12:27 PM
A story line is a precis of a large story. I tend to use them as a container to organize multiple adventures that are part of a greater theme. I might use a storyline topic to have the summary of an adventure path like Storm Kings Thunder or Curse of Straud, etc.

A plot hook is a just a record of how you are going to get your part involved in an adventure. I suppose you could have a plot hook as a sub-topic of an entire storyline, but usually, I have it as part of an adventure.

I don't use plot hooks much, as I look to put plot hooks as snippets in a quest topic. I do use plot hooks for brain storming though. Sometimes I think of a cool plot hook without having fleshed out any of the adventure the plot hook will lead to.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Joe
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 26th, 2016, 08:55 AM
Storylines are a much newer edition to Realm Works than plot hooks. Early on, Realm Works was more focused on "build your own content", and Plot Hooks make more sense in that context. As we moved on to working on traditional published material for the Content Market, we realized we needed Storylines to handle the arcs that are common in Adventure Paths and so on.
Joe is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 26th, 2016, 12:39 PM
This is my perspective on it...

Plot hooks are envisioned as more of a collection of story fragments that represent pending ideas you may want to include in your campaign. Storylines are envisioned as @MNBlockhead described them above. So a storyline is something concretely integrated into your campaign, usually woven across lots of different aspects of the campaign and encompassing many scenes, while plot hooks are isolated ideas that are not yet officially part of the campaign but may ultimately be pulled from to create storylines.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
DaFranker

Old October 26th, 2016, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eponette View Post
I'm not sure to catch the subtle difference between storyline (in the event group) and plot hooks (in the Other group). Someone can help me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
This is my perspective on it...

Plot hooks are envisioned as more of a collection of story fragments that represent pending ideas you may want to include in your campaign. Storylines are envisioned as @MNBlockhead described them above. So a storyline is something concretely integrated into your campaign, usually woven across lots of different aspects of the campaign and encompassing many scenes, while plot hooks are isolated ideas that are not yet officially part of the campaign but may ultimately be pulled from to create storylines.

Hope this helps!
What rob said is pretty much the use that feels most natural to me in practice. I mostly use RealmWorks for Shadowrun, and whenever I come across, say, a little tidbit in a document, in a sourcebook, or online that acts as a small "plot hook" from which you can take inspiration to build a shadowrun (a "quest" or "mission", if you're not familiar with SR), I create a new Plot Hook topic and dump the info there, and that's it, I'm done.

A Storyline, on the other hand, is this big connected thing that is actually the story arc, whether it's what actually happened or what I'm planning for the next arc / rest of the arc.

Here's an example of what my Navigation panel would look like:
  • Storyline: G.R.I.M. 2.0
    • First run ("Quest" type topic)
      • Scene 1
      • Scene 2
    • Second run
      • Etc.

• Plot Hooks
    • Job offer from a dead man
    • Humanis traitor

In this example, the plot hooks are each just a blurb I copy-pasted from a sourcebook or a couple ideas I jotted down that I could use to maybe come up with a quest or possibly a story arc later on, but "G.R.I.M. 2.0" is an entire story arc with multiple missions inside it (not necessarily with a preset chronological order, but definitely with a timeline that evolves and updates as the campaign moves along).

Eventually those plot hooks either get discarded, or turned into a 'run, or I integrate the idea into a plot of some kind. When that happens, I mark off the plot hook and move on (it stays there, for future reference, but I know not to pull the same hook on my players).

Last edited by DaFranker; October 26th, 2016 at 08:40 PM.
DaFranker is offline   #5 Reply With Quote