Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 6th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Although looking at the problem to be solved, I think it's best to use an eval rule to remind the user "hey, you've entitled to a free d6 skill, but until you add the skill to the Skills list, you won't have it" (use a better phrasing, but you get the idea).

The main problem here is that many characters who want to take advantage of this sort of thing will have already added the skill before adding this edge - or, they're adding the edge during character advancement, and already have the skill. So, if you're bootstrapping the skill, there are a number of questions about how it should interact with the version that's already present, and those questions go away if you rely on the user to add the skill themselves.
Mathias is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old December 6th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
The existing method for conditional bootstraps is not well documented, but it's there. Are you asking for a better explanation of how to use it, and an easier-to-find method for controlling them in the editor?
Really? I know several of us have been wondering about ways to do it for a very long time now. Although come to that I think you had mentioned something about some piece of code that had to be added first? Something that was in the Pathfinder stuff but not in Savage Worlds, if I remember right... I could look that up again if you like, but I do remember checking it after the last update and whatever it was wasn't in yet.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 6th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlor View Post
Really? I know several of us have been wondering about ways to do it for a very long time now. Although come to that I think you had mentioned something about some piece of code that had to be added first? Something that was in the Pathfinder stuff but not in Savage Worlds, if I remember right... I could look that up again if you like, but I do remember checking it after the last update and whatever it was wasn't in yet.
Why don't you start a new thread and explain something you'd like to do with conditional bootstraps, and I'll see if I can get it to work. (a note - I'll be away fom the internet all day Saturday, and probably won't be able to get back to you until Sunday).
Mathias is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old December 7th, 2013, 05:08 AM
Ok, cool! No rush, that's for sure. All of my data files are done so anything I conditionally bootstrap would just be done as an update.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Darq

Old December 7th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Is it possible to remove a skill / edge? If so another option is add both and remove the one I don't need.
Darq is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old December 7th, 2013, 08:34 AM
I can't think of a time where I would ever have needed to do that and I'm not sure that's even possible, really. But if it were that could be a way to do a conditional bootstrap. Still, I guess we can just see what Mathias has for us. If he says there is a way then he'd be the guy to know!

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Darq

Old December 8th, 2013, 06:02 AM
I have need to do it twice right now for two different settings I am working on:
World of the Dead has a racial trait that gives the character the choice of d6 Fighting or d6 Shooting.

Lowlife allows an Oofo character to pick 3 of 5 racial abilities.
Darq is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old December 8th, 2013, 06:05 AM
Oh, I can think of of a TON of reasons to do conditional bootstraps, I just meant I couldn't think of a reason to normally remove a skill/edge from within another Edge/Hindrance, really.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Darq

Old December 8th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Ah I understand - If it's easier to accomplish it provides the same functionality as conditional bootstrapping - the mirror, conditional un-bootstrapping, so you add the list through normal bootstrapping and remove the ones they don't want leaving the selections - same net effect.
Darq is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old December 8th, 2013, 10:18 AM
I wouldn't think it would be easier to do, particularly since Mathias seems to think conditional boostrapping is already possible, so if it's already something we can do (and that he'll let us know how to do) then removing something probably wouldn't really be needed. I've started the other thread for him so maybe he'll get back to us soon with how to do it and, if so, I'll add what he come up with to the code snippets thread, too.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #20 Reply With Quote