Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

BillytheCrayon

Old September 5th, 2014, 02:49 AM
Hello. I am new to RW, and kind of new to DMing period (I DM'd 2 sessions of a campaign, and that's it)

I am trying to write my own campaign, and keeping track of everything in Realm Works.

I Know how to create all my game elements, and world and everything, like creating people, places, groups, events, and so on. But where do I tell my story from?

The Story Board only seems to be for creating small plot descriptions, and map out where my story is going, which works fine, but where do I start my story from? Like giving the intro to the world, or game, and explaining to the players the specific scene that is playing out?

I don't know if that made any sense, but I suppose i just don't know how to put all of this together, to tell my story.

In summary: I got the world building down. But how do I tell my story using Realm Works? I understand the basics of the plots and storyboard, but I don't see where to put the bulk of the text I will be reading while telling my story.
BillytheCrayon is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Ladyofdragons

Old September 5th, 2014, 04:16 AM
When I'm using RW at the table, I already have a sense of what's in it, and what I'm expecting to read from that night. I might have several tabs open before the session starts, for quick reference. The bulk of the text I am reading is split into multiple topics. Based on what the PCs do, when they get to the next topic I bring that topic up and read the text from it. So on that topic I'll have the text to read to the PCs, some DM notes about things that they won't get to know, and maybe some other things that may or may not be revealed.

Does that help?

-------------------------------------
"...You're going to backstab him with a ballista?"
Ladyofdragons is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 5th, 2014, 04:33 AM
The majority of the encounters and other similar material that comprises the "story" will most likely be Scene topics (a type of Event). You can create Storyline topics to encapsulate a collection of related Scenes. One scene might be expository to describe what the PCs see as they approach the shining city of Oz. Another scene might be an encounter as the PCs are attacked by a group of flying monkeys. Etc.

You can then use the scenes to reference all of the people, places, and things within your world. This effectively weaves all those elements together into the actual story that you're telling.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old September 5th, 2014, 12:06 PM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B38...it?usp=sharing

That's a screenshot of an example Scene. I made the decision to create each building (no matter how many floors) of the keep as a separate Scene for the above-ground areas; but each room underground is a separate Scene.

The text in gray I will use for telling my story to the players: "The northwest tower appears to have been damaged..."

The text in yellow is for my information or things that may not be obvious without actually examining things: "The 'back door' is locked with a large iron padlock"

I can click the little bluish bubble to the left of text snippets to turn them green and thereby reveal the gray text to players. Please note that in the upcoming player client, this won't be visible to players until you synch your realm again.

You can create the yellow GM text with CTRL-G for a full block or CTRL-D to attach GM text to a normal text block. I used the latter option for the areas in my example.
AEIOU is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old September 5th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of DMing! It's a challenging and rewarding craft, so much luck!
Aaron is offline   #5 Reply With Quote