Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

kbs666

Old July 30th, 2019, 09:11 AM
I explained it in real terms and I've explained it simply. I do not know what else to say to make it clear to you.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
Randall Jhen

Old July 30th, 2019, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I would be very opposed to different capitalization forms being different names.

As an example in my SF realm I have the "Alderson Jump Drive," with "Alderson Drive" as an alternate name, as the name of the topic that describes the device. The device is referred to, in various other entries, as the Alderson jump drive, The Alderson Drive and the Alderson drive. I also do things like this all over my Pathfinder realm but I was just working on the SF one so it came to mind first.
Okay, so in this real example, you would have:

Topic name: Alderson Jump Drive (case matching: None)
Alternate name: Alderson Drive (case mstching: None)
Possible alternate name: The Alderson Drive (case matching: None)

These two names would capture every instance you've outlined. My proposed change would have zero effect on this topic.
Randall Jhen is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 30th, 2019, 12:39 PM
!

Yes, it would! I do not understand why this is so hard to make clear. Your proposal is that every capitalization form of any string be a distinct name. That means that ignoring case would no longer possible, at all! AB would not match ab ever under any circumstance. They are separate names! To make my existing topic work, and that is just one example, would need at minimum 2 additional aliases. Which would require me, and every other person affected to go back through and add those aliases to every topic with no idea which are affected and which are not until something fails to link. And lord help the people who have case matching set to auto correct. Just so you can use auto accept, no thanks.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
Randall Jhen

Old July 30th, 2019, 12:44 PM
That... is not my proposal.

My proposal is to let a name with Case Matching set to Sensitive be distinct from another identically spelled but differently capitalized name with Case Matching also set to Sensitive.

A name with case matching set to None would still find every capitalization variant.
Randall Jhen is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old July 30th, 2019, 02:19 PM
Ok, let's take a step back.

Currently, I can create multiple topics and give them same alias, with different capitalizations or the same capitalizations:

Topic 1 Main Name: "Topic 1", case-insensitive.
Topic 1 Alias: "Topic One", case-sensitive
Topic 1 Alias: "Topic 2", case-sensitive.
Topic 2 Main Name: "Topic 2", case-sensitive.
Topic 2 Alias: "Topic Two", case-insensitive
Topic 3 Main Name: "Topic 1", case-insensitive.
Topic 3 Alias: "Topic One", case-sensitive

The GUI will warn me that I am re-using a name without a suffix to differentiate, but one of the options is "Save anyway" (amounting to a response of 'I understand, do it anyway'). This will cause the the GUI to stop and request that I select which Topic text of "Topic 2" should link to, as there are two match candidates. Likewise, text of "Topic 1" would present two possible matches.

What I cannot do is this:
Topic 1 Main Name: "Topic One" , case-sensitive
Topic 1 Alias: "Topic one", case-sensitive. <-- THIS IS NOT ALLOWED

Regardless of the case sensitivity settings, the alias is seen as a case-insensitive duplicate of the main name.

Because these aliases CAN be created across topics, I cannot see how honoring the case sensitivity of the aliases breaks anything in any way that is not already "broken" by allowing the aliases to exist on what amounts to the wrong topic. The only effect I can foresee is that there may be an additional match candidate suggested for certain text (which is exactly what I want).
Silveras is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 30th, 2019, 03:03 PM
Each topic title and alias is a name. Names can point to multiple topics. Having the same name twice in one topic makes no sense.

What the op wants, and I'll repeat I've never ever seen a time where this is a good idea, is to create a topic with a common name and then use auto accept so he can do a mass import and not have to spend any time at the keyboard during the linking process.

I'm starting to wish that tool had never been created. It has resulted in multiple requests for features that would make life harder for people who enter their own data by hand.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 30th, 2019, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Jhen View Post
That... is not my proposal.

My proposal is to let a name with Case Matching set to Sensitive be distinct from another identically spelled but differently capitalized name with Case Matching also set to Sensitive.

A name with case matching set to None would still find every capitalization variant.
Which is exactly what I've written a bunch of times and is succinctly in your title. You want every capitalization of a token to be distinct from every other capitalization which breaks all my realms.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
Randall Jhen

Old July 30th, 2019, 03:26 PM
Having two different case sensitive names in a topic makes sense when a topic name may be capitalized in some instances and not capitalized in others. Take, for instance, these examples:

1. The Green is renowned for its abundant, explosive life.
2. Settlements are hard to find in the Green, because whole forests may spring forth from the ground overnight.

Linked topic name: Green Sun
Linked topic alternate name: The Green (case sensitive)

This name combination will capture example 1, but not example 2. If I add "the Green" (case sensitive), in an effort to capture examples 1 and 2, the OK button is grayed out.

Also, I'm not using an import tool. I'm copy-pasting from a PDF. And this isn't about auto-accepting links; it's about preventing false positives.

Silveras, thank you for understanding and explaining my meaning.
Randall Jhen is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 30th, 2019, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Jhen View Post
Having two different case sensitive names in a topic makes sense when a topic name may be capitalized in some instances and not capitalized in others. Take, for instance, these examples:

1. The Green is renowned for its abundant, explosive life.
2. Settlements are hard to find in the Green, because whole forests may spring forth from the ground overnight.

Linked topic name: Green Sun
Linked topic alternate name: The Green (case sensitive)

This name combination will capture example 1, but not example 2. If I add "the Green" (case sensitive), in an effort to capture examples 1 and 2, the OK button is grayed out.

Also, I'm not using an import tool. I'm copy-pasting from a PDF. And this isn't about auto-accepting links; it's about preventing false positives.

Silveras, thank you for understanding and explaining my meaning.
Why include the article at all? Your entire problem is that you have added something to the name that doesn't need to be there.

If you were not doing a mass import then this wouldn't be an issue. Clicking ok few times per article is nothing.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old July 30th, 2019, 04:52 PM
I guess I'm dense.

Sounds to me like you have a couple of scenarios.

1. article named 'Green Sun' with an unspecified number of aliases with the word 'Green' in the alias name fields. Then you could have other articles use either the main name or the aliases to link back to the main article.

2 you have several different articles that contain the word 'green', 'Green', 'gReen', etc that are supposed to be different articles with different aliases and you don't want those to become interlinked.

if it's the first case, I don't see a need for this.

If it is the second case, I'd find this highly confusing and a pain to remember what linked where or when and I don't think you or anyone would want to have auto-linking turned on at all in this case. Also, I wouldn't want to import a realm like that into my version of realmworks, even if it was distributed free of charge (provided it isn't violating any copyright or Intellectual Property issues).

In my opinion, it would be more useful to put some kind of descriptor in the name or alias field that makes it clear what it is. 'Green Sun (organization)', 'Green Sun (leader)', 'Green Sun (war master)', 'Green Sun (economist)', 'Green Sun (weapons)', 'Green Sun (ships)', etc.

I also suppose this could be more of an organizational issue then a naming issue. 'Green Sun' should probably then be at the top of the article hierarchy with nested sub-articles breaking down the information. As an example you could have 'Green Sun personal equipment' and then under that hierarchical branch you would have 'firearms', 'melee weapons', 'armor', 'uniforms', 'communications', etc. In this case, I wouldn't want the words 'green' or 'sun' in any case to link except as a full field matches with or without case sensitivity.

So, by the examples given, I'd probably have to come down on KB666's side. Mostly because I can see this becoming so convoluted and confusing as to make the entire work useless.
Viking2054 is offline   #40 Reply With Quote