Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

dungeonguru

Old October 11th, 2017, 09:50 AM
What I've done is made copies of the SRD & community .stock files in the hero labs 5e folder.

C:\ProgramData\Hero Lab\data\5e\ - anything ending in .stock that is SRD or COM (I ignore the KP stuff).

- SRD Creatures Aboleth-Doppelganger.stock (etcetera, etc.)

You CAN edit the .stock files and stick portraits on each creature in Hero Labs. I made copies because each program and community update overwrites these stock files and I lose my pictures every update otherwise.

The downside is that the encounter builder now shows two of every creature in the builder, one with a picture, one without. UNLESS, you get around that by MOVING the existing .stock files to a backup folder on your desktop, or somewhere away from the 5e folder.

The .stock files are exactly the same format as your portfolio files.
dungeonguru is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Conandy

Old October 11th, 2017, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conandy View Post
Hey, guys. Was just trying to deal with this issue so that I can have monster pics show up in my Tactical Console in Hero Lab.

For me, if the monster has a picture set up in Realm Works, it doesn't transfer over into Hero Lab when I send that monster to the portfolio via the button in RW.

Having pictures in the Tactical Console would help me dramatically when trying to find a specific monster during a fight, to apply damage, etc.
I guess I just figured out, via daplunk's vids, that I have to put the pic into the HL portfolio when I create it from within RW if I want it to have a pic in HL Tactical Console. Would be nice if the HL portfolio would automatically grab the RW pic if it doesn't have one. That may be asking too much.
Conandy is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Conandy

Old October 11th, 2017, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
What I've done is made copies of the SRD & community .stock files in the hero labs 5e folder.

C:\ProgramData\Hero Lab\data\5e\ - anything ending in .stock that is SRD or COM (I ignore the KP stuff).

- SRD Creatures Aboleth-Doppelganger.stock (etcetera, etc.)

You CAN edit the .stock files and stick portraits on each creature in Hero Labs. I made copies because each program and community update overwrites these stock files and I lose my pictures every update otherwise.

The downside is that the encounter builder now shows two of every creature in the builder, one with a picture, one without. UNLESS, you get around that by MOVING the existing .stock files to a backup folder on your desktop, or somewhere away from the 5e folder.

The .stock files are exactly the same format as your portfolio files.
I can't seem to get HL to edit the .stock files. How do you go about this?
Conandy is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old October 11th, 2017, 10:40 AM
Something to consider with all this. If I understand it correctly. Once Hero Lab Online arrives the Realm Works work around won't work anymore. Hero Lab snippets will be replaced by links that trigger the monster in Hero Lab Online so we won't be able to modify anything from the Realm Works end.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Conandy

Old October 11th, 2017, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Something to consider with all this. If I understand it correctly. Once Hero Lab Online arrives the Realm Works work around won't work anymore. Hero Lab snippets will be replaced by links that trigger the monster in Hero Lab Online so we won't be able to modify anything from the Realm Works end.
Hmm. Not sure if I followed that completely, but basically I think you are saying that Hero Lab Online will have it's own files and links that reside in the cloud, and won't be pulling from the local computer data anymore, right?

Sounds like a good justification not to use HLO. What would you do about custom content at that point?

Andy
Conandy is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old October 11th, 2017, 11:47 AM
From what I understand so far. And I don't have access yet so can't confirm this.

The Hero lab online files will be stored in the cloud instead of locally. Instead of having a local portfolio stored in Realm Works we will use links that when clicked trigger the monster to be added to you active hero lab online session. Customisation will need to be done within Hero Lab Online therefore. I'm sure there will be a way to do everything we do now. But it will be done from the Hero Lab Online end and not stored inside Realm Works like some of us do now.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old October 11th, 2017, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
The Hero lab online files will be stored in the cloud instead of locally. Instead of having a local portfolio stored in Realm Works we will use links that when clicked trigger the monster to be added to you active hero lab online session. Customisation will need to be done within Hero Lab Online therefore. I'm sure there will be a way to do everything we do now. But it will be done from the Hero Lab Online end and not stored inside Realm Works like some of us do now.
Hmm, wonder if we can still put in the hero lab classic portfolio as a foreign object, forcing it to open Hero Labs "Classic" - it reduces the usefulness of having Classic and auto-editting/integration though.

This is beginning to sour me on hlo and realm works as a combo, I play in one of the rural states where wifi and internet connections are not a guarantee everywhere. My hometown is well connected but I regularly go to areas without even decent cellular coverage. Anyway, rant off.

Conandy, I just go to File.. and Open Portfolio... and can choose any of the .stock files. Not sure what you're doing different.
dungeonguru is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old October 11th, 2017, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
Hmm, wonder if we can still put in the hero lab classic portfolio as a foreign object, forcing it to open Hero Labs "Classic" - it reduces the usefulness of having Classic and auto-editting/integration though.

This is beginning to sour me on hlo and realm works as a combo, I play in one of the rural states where wifi and internet connections are not a guarantee everywhere. My hometown is well connected but I regularly go to areas without even decent cellular coverage. Anyway, rant off.

Conandy, I just go to File.. and Open Portfolio... and can choose any of the .stock files. Not sure what you're doing different.
I very much doubt the Hero Lab Classic Snippets within Realm Works are going anywhere. They will leave them as they are for those people still using Hero Lab Classic.

The difference I imagine will be the official content will come with both versions and as users we can then choose which one to use and which ones to add.

Nothing to rant about here

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #18 Reply With Quote