Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

daplunk

Old January 14th, 2017, 02:35 PM
Yeah my mb and cpu are relatively new while the HDD was not upgraded last time so that's exactly the first thing I was going to do.

The price per TB makes me weep though.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 14th, 2017, 03:07 PM
Don't get a TB size SSD. That's completely unnecessary.

If you look at your windows folder and you programs folders they probably run a fun hundred Gigabytes. I got a 250 gig SSD for well under $100 USD that substantially improved load times for pretty much everything I run.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old January 14th, 2017, 03:32 PM
Looks like a random benchmark agrees with your recomendation.

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/2565637

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old January 14th, 2017, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollution View Post
FYI. I had that issue.

SSD made it SOOO much better.
I just replaced my Thinkpad x230 (hated it, never buying another Thinkpad, after many years of brand loyalty, Lenovo ruined the Thinkpad) with a Dell XPS 13 9350.

The SSD and doubling the RAM to 16 GB seems to have made a big difference. No crashes yet, loads mush faster, and opening, switching, and closing tabs is much better. Ran my first game on the new machine today. Worked well.

My only issue is that this laptop has a high-DPI screen, so RW looks a little washed out and is no where near as sharp as high-DPI-aware programs.

Funny, my memories from back in college in the early 90s put me off of Dell for a long time. A sales engineer I respect recommended the XPS to me and I've been very happy happy with it. Nice little laptop. Still miss the old Thinkpad keyboards, but the touchpad is nice enough that I don't miss the trackpoint style pointer.

Anyway, whatever you get, SSD and lots of RAM will help a lot with RW.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote

Last edited by MNBlockHead; January 15th, 2017 at 08:17 AM. Reason: fixed the most embarrassing typos, no substantive changes
MNBlockHead is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old January 14th, 2017, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Don't get a TB size SSD. That's completely unnecessary.

If you look at your windows folder and you programs folders they probably run a fun hundred Gigabytes. I got a 250 gig SSD for well under $100 USD that substantially improved load times for pretty much everything I run.
Yeah, I'm finding that most of my data for work and personal use is stored in various cloud services (Azure, O365, Google Drive, SpiderOak, etc.), I don't need as much HD space.

One program I've been using for several months now that I feel comfortable recommending is O Drive. It gives you one interface and data-management for multiple cloud sources. I have it linked to multiple Google Drive accounts, multiple FTP sites, etc.

You can have some folders sync ALL data to your local drive, for others you can have stubs, and you can set it so that documents not accessed in X amount of time are replaced on your local drive with a stub.

There are other services like O Drive and if you only use DropBox or only use Google Drive, you can just use their client, but if you use a lot of services, it is nice to have a single app that lets you access and manage them all via Windows Explorer.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote

Last edited by MNBlockHead; January 15th, 2017 at 08:20 AM. Reason: typos fixed...I shouldn't post late at night...
MNBlockHead is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 14th, 2017, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
Yeah, I'm finding that most of my data for work and person is stored in verious cloud services (Azure, O365, Google Drive, SpiderOak, etc.), I don't need as much HD space.

One program I've been using for several months now that I feel pretty comfortable recommending is O Drive. It give you one interface and datamanagement for multiple cloud sources. I have it linked to multiple Google Drive accounts, multiple FTP sites, etc.

You have have some folder synch ALL data to your local drive, other can have stubs, and you can set it so that documents not accessed in X amount of time I replace on your local drive with a stub.

There are other services like O Drive and if you only use DropBox or only use Google Drive, they you can just use their client, but if you a lot of services you use, it is nice to have a single app that lets you access and manage them all via Windows Explorer.
For a laptop 256 gigs is probably sufficient as long as you use cloud storage.

For my desktop I really do need a TB of storage but I have all my programs and windows on a 256M SSD. It makes booting and loading stuff a lot faster.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old January 14th, 2017, 07:34 PM
deleted

Last edited by Pollution; February 17th, 2017 at 09:38 AM.
Pollution is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 14th, 2017, 07:34 PM
I have a 1TB SSD for my desktop and it is nice having games on it. Over Christmas I installed a 512MB M.2 drive in my son's computer and it makes my computer feel like it's running on hard drives again.... Storage tech is finally shifting from size to speed again.
AEIOU is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old January 14th, 2017, 07:51 PM
deleted

Last edited by Pollution; February 17th, 2017 at 09:38 AM.
Pollution is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old January 15th, 2017, 01:55 AM
On my desktop my boot SSD isn't big enough to hold all of my software and still have room for Windows updates, much less games, documents, and other files. I've got things split up between an SSD, hard drive, and my home network's file server. I have access to multiple online storage services, but haven't had much of a need for them.

Minor quibble: Don't forget that M.2 is a connector that provides access to multiple interfaces, not a speed standard. USB 2 is one of those interfaces, though one mostly used for wireless cards instead of drives. I'm sure that M.2 PCIe drives are very fast if you need that sort of thing. :)

Parody is offline   #20 Reply With Quote