Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Pilgrim

Old April 29th, 2016, 11:34 PM
I have no real experience with Realm Works, but I run some GMíng for Pathfinder Society.

Is it easy to use the PFS scenario's and implement them into Realm Works? And how hard would it be to maintain it all?
Pilgrim is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 29th, 2016, 11:40 PM
I don't play PF but if your talking about simple modules that you have access to in PDF format then it's a simple task. You simply copy the content in.

What type of maintenance are you look to make? The tool lets you make all sorts of notes, keep images, make tables, dot points and then there's the storyboard.
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Pilgrim

Old April 30th, 2016, 12:43 AM
Society has scenarios available, they have the stats for the npc's / monsters etc, maps are in there as well.

just wondering how and if it would be beneficial to get. The overal idea is to have it all neatly there so I can swap between realm works and the scenario during game time.

if it isn't any added value then I will skip getting it for now
Pilgrim is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 30th, 2016, 01:22 AM
You would take the scenario and copy it into RW. Story, maps, npc's, monsters, everything. Then instead of reading the module as you DM, you use RW in it's place. Everything becomes linked and must easier to jump around to the information you required.

Personally I would suggest getting both HL and RW and use HL to manage the combat.

Have a read of the link below where I discuss some of the reasons why i now user these two applications in place of physical books.

http://downunderdm.blogspot.com.au/2...-why-i-no.html
daplunk is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Pilgrim

Old April 30th, 2016, 01:37 AM
hmm good readup... now I will need to get me a laptop so that I can use realm works for society... I might get it for the pc for now... but it is nice that everything can be implemented...

thanks for the answers daplunk
Pilgrim is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old April 30th, 2016, 07:52 AM
I have RW, HL and have been a PFS GM. I do not think it is worth the effort to do the data entry for a PFS scenario if you are only going to run it once ATM. The reason is the amount of time it takes to do that work versus how long it takes to actually prep a PFS scenario these simply aren't AP's or the like.

However once the content market is available and all of the Pathfinder books become available and you can integrate the PFS scenarios into a more complete Golarion then I think doing the data entry might be worth the effort even for a single run through. The integration with all that other content would give your players more info to sink their teeth into.

Also if you are going to be running a scenario more than once then I would do the prep work of entering the PDF into RW and HL.
kbs666 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Faerie

Old April 30th, 2016, 05:54 PM
I can see the uses for RW in PFS organized play. I'd imagine you could use it to track scenarios you've GMed for Core or Standard and what players you ran through it. Though it wouldn't be as useful a tool as it is in a homebrew campaign. PFS sessions tend to jump around in chronology since scenarios can be (mostly) played in any order.

Would make for a really odd campaign timeline.
Faerie is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
pyremius

Old April 30th, 2016, 09:31 PM
Our local GMs frequently complain about significant information being in odd places that are easy to lose track of during the game. I assume that putting everything into Realm Works would resolve a lot of that, because even if the structure were the same you'd have that list of links to show you where else the NPC was referenced, etc. Likewise, having a keyed map that you can use to navigate to the text could be a bit quicker then flipping through the printout.

The Content Market, though, would be very helpful for those scenarios that like to showcase one or more "uncommon" rules that nobody is familiar with - just follow the link to gull details (and if that isn't enough, add your own example during prep).
pyremius is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 30th, 2016, 11:36 PM
I'm assuming these PF Pathfinder Society adventures are short similar to the D&D one night adventures? If so then it really wouldn't take long to enter an adventure into the tool.

Ctrl-Enter to separate a chunk of text into a new snippet is a huge time saver.
daplunk is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Pilgrim

Old May 1st, 2016, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
I'm assuming these PF Pathfinder Society adventures are short similar to the D&D one night adventures? If so then it really wouldn't take long to enter an adventure into the tool.

Ctrl-Enter to separate a chunk of text into a new snippet is a huge time saver.
Yeah, they are, only the PFS scenarios run close to 5hrs (and modules even longer). I will get Realm Works and see how easy it is to combine and what you can do with it, seeing as I have some modules / scenarios available.

What is the Content market? I have seen it mentioned a few times but no idea what it is
Pilgrim is offline   #10 Reply With Quote