Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

johnstrasser

Old June 8th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Hi Folks,

I've searched the forums and didn't see this addressed anywhere.

As the "proud" owner of several thousand dollars of software I can't use any longer (the companies no longer exist) I have some concerns.

1. What happens when your core group of people decides to stop paying the domain fees or maintaining your licensing servers? Can I still install the software? Do you have a patch stored in escrow somewhere so that we can reinstall our software after you folks get hit by a bus/have unexpected health or family problems? Unlike IBM or Microsoft, I'm willing to bet that Lone Wolf can't survive without the founders/senior team.

2. Given that the game system data files are licensed by you, what happens if (for example) paizo decides to pull your license? I'm thinking specifically of the example where Lucas pulled the star wars license from WOTC. Can I still install the game data files I've paid for on a new machine or rebuild of my current one?
2b. In the scenario described above, do you deactivate the current data files I've purchased?

3. Is an internet connection required every time I use the software? When using my laptop, I often do not have access to the internet. This is also related to the "thousands of dollars" of software I mentioned above, where I can reinstall a backup drive image on the computer (which I still have) BUT the software starts - doesn't see the servers - and then quits.

4. Have you considered the possibility of a hardware dongle (usb drive type thing) as an optional licensing tool (maybe at an extra cost for those of us concerned you might get hit by a bus and disappear)?

Thanks
johnstrasser is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 8th, 2011, 05:40 PM
1) I believe both Rob and Colen have said that should the company go into dire straits, they will release a code to unlock everyone. It's unlikely to be a problem though. Lone Wolf dates back to 1998. And there are at least three people with access to the source code that I know of, so short of a bus hitting the company picnic, it's very unlikely that things would happen that suddenly.

2) Actually, they went through something like that with Cortex. They had to stop selling it while they resolved it, but the people who had already bought the data retained the right to keep it and redownload it.

3) Only when installing or upgrading. The rest is completely offline.

^_^ Can't answer 4, but I suspect that, small as the market is, that would be cost prohibitive. Dongles are generally for software that costs thousands.

I should add the caveat that I am not an employee of the company, merely a devoted fan and contributor, so my statements should not be construed as official in any way. This is all publicly available information here and there on the forum. Rob and Colen do read the forum though, so you may also get an official response.

Last edited by Duggan; June 8th, 2011 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Adding caveat
Duggan is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 8th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Duggan's answers were pretty much what I would have said. The company itself actually dates back to 1994, and we've been selling our software tools for gamers since 1998. We don't have unlock codes in escrow anywhere, but we're also certainly not in any jeopardy of going under. We've grown by about 30% every year for the past bunch of years, we're preparing to launch some major new products, and we're in the process of hiring multiple new members on the team. If we do decide to pull the plug for some inexplicable reason, we have promised to unlock the software for everyone. Beyond those additional details, Duggan's answers basically nailed it.
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
johnstrasser

Old June 9th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
<snip> If we do decide to pull the plug for some inexplicable reason, we have promised to unlock the software for everyone. Beyond those additional details, Duggan's answers basically nailed it.
Awesome. Thank you for the quick response. Then when I get home from work to get to my "fun" credit card I'll be purchasing.

Thanks again.

JS
johnstrasser is offline   #4 Reply With Quote