Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

MaxSupernova

Old September 26th, 2016, 07:39 AM
Oh, I agree. I just detailed the 7 years so the recent front end recode and the lack of the "big feature" could be seen in context of the life of the software. They've had 7 years to do the major things they talked about. We've only been waiting for 3 years.

And I also find it rather amusing that we're discussing the fact that it's only THREE YEARS overdue, as if that were actually acceptable.
MaxSupernova is offline   #131 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old September 26th, 2016, 11:36 AM
It's a good thing we have a new public relations person onboard at LWD to help manage our expectations and to throw us carrots. With GenCon coming up, I'm sure we'll have a major update soon.

Yes, I'm being facetious. I hope the ability to share of files is moving forward quickly and smoothly.
AEIOU is offline   #132 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old September 26th, 2016, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSupernova View Post
Oh, I agree. I just detailed the 7 years so the recent front end recode and the lack of the "big feature" could be seen in context of the life of the software. They've had 7 years to do the major things they talked about. We've only been waiting for 3 years.

And I also find it rather amusing that we're discussing the fact that it's only THREE YEARS overdue, as if that were actually acceptable.
You have two crowds here, not one. The kickstarter crowd (I am not one of them) and the purchase since release crowd (I am one of these).

So the kickstarter promises mean little to me, because they were not made to me.

On top of that, RW is the best product I have ever used hands down. bar none, for a world creationist. I realize I am probably in the minority, but I don't play canned worlds, I have, since like high school, always created my own campaign worlds. This meant showing up to the game with as many as seven binders.

Add HL into the RW fold; now its a computer laptop and tablet. Players can sync historical play info, no more "Who was that guy from that city that gave us that info?".

RW for me personally is missing only two things, proper custome calendars, and ability to merge/copy realms. Calendars is easily done with out RW, really would love it to be there, but not really and endgame issue. I really really am looking forward to being able to copy realms or info between realms. Far more than calendars.

Side note, the Sept newsletter had a screenie from a product other than Runelords..... That to me springs hope, that the initial content market is getting close. But, RW offers me so much I never had? Delays for these are a minor irritant.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #133 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old September 26th, 2016, 08:54 PM
I'm in the same boat as Exmortis. Not having backed it on kickstarter, I find the complaints tiresome, but not as tiresome as having to wait years for features that may have been deciding factors in the decision to back the kickstarter. And I do have to thank the original backers for helping support making this great piece of software come into being.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #134 Reply With Quote
monsterfurby

Old September 26th, 2016, 09:51 PM
There is another divide though - those who would actually use the content market (namely players from a more module-oriented, D&D/Pathfinder-focused gaming culture) and those who probably won't (players from a more storygame-heavy gaming culture who wouldn't play adventures made by others or published commercially). I realize that the reasons for focusing on the content market are commercial first and foremost, but to some, the delay it causes in fixing or expanding on other aspects of the software is problematic.
monsterfurby is offline   #135 Reply With Quote
wurzel

Old September 27th, 2016, 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
...for a world creationist. I realize I am probably in the minority, but I don't play canned worlds, I have, since like high school, always created my own campaign worlds.
RW for me personally is missing only two things, proper custome calendars, and ability to merge/copy realms. Calendars is easily done with out RW, really would love it to be there, but not really and endgame issue. I really really am looking forward to being able to copy realms or info between realms. Far more than calendars.
It may be a minority, but we are not alone. For me it is absolutely frustrating that I have to wait for a feature I don't need and will probably never use (the content market) to get what I need (copy/merge/extract/...).

I know a lot of people here see it differently. And I fully understand the intention of making money that drives LWD's decisions. Still, it is frustrating.

DM: Tol'Uluk - game system independent homebrew world (so far AD&D 2, D&D3.5, Fate, Pathfinder, D&D5)
Tools: RW, CC3+, CD3, DD3, HL
RL: Retired senior IT manager. Now just housewife, grandma and fantasy author.
wurzel is offline   #136 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 27th, 2016, 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
It may be a minority, but we are not alone. For me it is absolutely frustrating that I have to wait for a feature I don't need and will probably never use (the content market) to get what I need (copy/merge/extract/...).

I know a lot of people here see it differently. And I fully understand the intention of making money that drives LWD's decisions. Still, it is frustrating.
Even as a world creator I hold out hope that I will be able to use the CM.

While I certainly won't be buying whole modules, AP's or setting material there certainly are people out there producing things like individual setting pieces, villages, taverns, ships etc., that I hope I can occasionally drop into my world.

Further if the CM is sophisticated enough to let you really pick and choose what to take from what you buy there are some usable bits and pieces in some modules and AP's.
kbs666 is offline   #137 Reply With Quote
wurzel

Old September 27th, 2016, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Even as a world creator I hold out hope that I will be able to use the CM.
Ah, yes. I might have one notable exception. If they ever manage to publish Ravenloft here in the content market I'll probably be among the first to buy it.

While most published adventures are simply boring (at least as far as I know them as a player) Ravenloft in all variations is simply great entertainment.

DM: Tol'Uluk - game system independent homebrew world (so far AD&D 2, D&D3.5, Fate, Pathfinder, D&D5)
Tools: RW, CC3+, CD3, DD3, HL
RL: Retired senior IT manager. Now just housewife, grandma and fantasy author.
wurzel is offline   #138 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old September 27th, 2016, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
Ah, yes. I might have one notable exception. If they ever manage to publish Ravenloft here in the content market I'll probably be among the first to buy it.

While most published adventures are simply boring (at least as far as I know them as a player) Ravenloft in all variations is simply great entertainment.
LOL I just decided to shelve the Q1-3 series in lieu of entering I6 Ravenloft into RW, my all time favorite 1e adventure.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #139 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old September 27th, 2016, 11:52 AM
Just to point out that there is more to the Content Market then published adventures.
  • Your ability to copy/merge/etc. is based on the Content Market
  • System-agnostic tools can be published (example: "Masks")
  • Rules system references can be published (Mechanics-only Realms for merging into your adventure Realms)

So, yeah, the Content Market is a big part of how RealmWorks can stay financially viable for LoneWolf to continue to work on it, but it is also necessary for other important uses.
Silveras is offline   #140 Reply With Quote