Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

kbs666

Old December 1st, 2019, 06:20 AM
Coding has a fairly steep learning curve. One of the benefits of open source projects is someone can download the source for the entire project and look through the code and see how things are done. Of course the quality of code is all over the place. Some people write plenty of comments and document their code, some use variables named x all over the place with no rhyme or reason.

Further discussion of any thoughts on an open source project might be better on Discord. I do not want to annoy our gracious hosts.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old December 1st, 2019, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
I played around recently trying to make a replacement for Hero Lab. I want something like Improved Initiative but an actual application. Database driven and something that can trigger from Realm Works similar to HLC does now.
hmm... is using PCGen as a starting point an alternative? It's open source and already does the character building kinda like HL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Further discussion of any thoughts on an open source project might be better on Discord. I do not want to annoy our gracious hosts.
Which discord would that be?
As with others, time is the most limiting factor for me, but I'd try and contribute where possible.
Merion is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old December 1st, 2019, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion View Post
Which discord would that be?
As with others, time is the most limiting factor for me, but I'd try and contribute where possible.
https://discord.gg/gwFK5W

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 1st, 2019, 01:17 PM
Quote:
There's quite a few people who have played around with the idea. Honestly I think there's skill set in the community but time and commitment is the issue.

Your idea sounds like a solid way to start though.

Just wish i was a coder. I played around recently trying to make a replacement for Hero Lab. I want something like Improved Initiative but an actual application. Database driven and something that can trigger from Realm Works similar to HLC does now.

Alas though, It takes me a full day just to figure out how to do simple tasks.
I actually found Combat Manager to be an excellent tool for managing combat, you can import a HL portfolio directly into the "enemy" list of the tool.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old December 1st, 2019, 06:46 PM
I've been using Improved Initiative. It does almost everything I want. The only thing that's missing is the ability to trigger from Realm Works which I can get used to.

And it took me 20 minutes to upload an entire monster manual into the tool. That included the time I took to create the dataset. Granted I already had the table to work from but the benefit there is I use the same table of data for both Realm Works and Improved Initiative.

As for annoying our hosts... do they even read this? Havn't seen Rob in the forums since he announced the hack and slashes.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 1st, 2019, 11:37 PM
Quote:
I've been using Improved Initiative. It does almost everything I want. The only thing that's missing is the ability to trigger from Realm Works which I can get used to.

And it took me 20 minutes to upload an entire monster manual into the tool.
Can you not store each encounter's worth of monsters in RW, so that clicking on the "external tool" icon (whatever it's called) will launch II and load your file?

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old December 2nd, 2019, 11:48 AM
It doesn't work on files. It's got database in the back end that it pulls everything from.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #17 Reply With Quote