Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Merion

Old December 1st, 2019, 10:33 AM
As you probably know, there are many handy lists of things for GMs on the internet. Like here https://www.reddit.com/r/d100/ for example.

Some lists I'd like to have in Realm Works. Preferrable with a topic for each list and a snippet for each list entry. That way I can reveal the ones I already used and thus keep track of them.

Does anyone know how to achieve this without copy-pasting every single entry into a new snippet? Can Farling's tool be coaxed to do this?
Merion is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 1st, 2019, 01:11 PM
If you are referring to the D100 tables...

If you can get each list converted into a single row of a CSV (or excel spreadsheet), then you can use it to create all the snippets from the single row into a single topic.

You could then use one row per topic.

For the first step, you would do this using the "Multiple" field of a snippet: drag the first column into the main part of the snippet, and the last column into the "Multiple" field of the snippet. This will then create one snippet for each column of the CSV table.

The only problem I could see if that the snippets won't be numbered (unless you put the number at the start of each text field in the CSV).

Of course, if you did create the relevant CSV, then it would be nice to share it with the community :-) (or maybe even the RW import file?)

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal

Last edited by Farling; December 1st, 2019 at 01:15 PM.
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old December 1st, 2019, 06:52 PM
As a note, random tables and Realm Works work really well with Inspiration Pad Pro integration.

Using Inspiration Pad Pro To Generate Random Table Results

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old December 2nd, 2019, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
As a note, random tables and Realm Works work really well with Inspiration Pad Pro integration.
To be honest, I usually don't use random table by really rolling randomly on them. But I like having them as pools of ideas and when I need one, I pick one that seems most appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
If you are referring to the D100 tables...

If you can get each list converted into a single row of a CSV (or excel spreadsheet), then you can use it to create all the snippets from the single row into a single topic.

You could then use one row per topic.

For the first step, you would do this using the "Multiple" field of a snippet: drag the first column into the main part of the snippet, and the last column into the "Multiple" field of the snippet. This will then create one snippet for each column of the CSV table.

The only problem I could see if that the snippets won't be numbered (unless you put the number at the start of each text field in the CSV).

Of course, if you did create the relevant CSV, then it would be nice to share it with the community :-) (or maybe even the RW import file?)
Thanks for the help!
Getting the data into a csv is simple with excel, but for some reason the "generate" button is greyed out (see attached).

I only used your tool once or twice before - it's fantastic, but I just haven't had the need so far. I should probably read through its own thread, but it's sooo long
Attached Images
File Type: png RWImport.PNG (56.5 KB, 6 views)
Merion is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 2nd, 2019, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion View Post
Thanks for the help!
Getting the data into a csv is simple with excel, but for some reason the "generate" button is greyed out (see attached).

I only used your tool once or twice before - it's fantastic, but I just haven't had the need so far. I should probably read through its own thread, but it's sooo long
I'm not quite sure what is wrong.
Is the title of the topic some fixed text, or is it a column from the data?

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Farling is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old December 2nd, 2019, 01:15 PM
I made that the first column.

I zipped the csv and my structure file and attached it for your examination. It's a legacy realm I've been using since I bought RW in 2012. It resisted any attempts to convert it to pathfinder, despite hardly any customization (only a few tags I think).
Attached Files
File Type: zip Long Rest Encounters.zip (25.5 KB, 2 views)
Merion is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 7th, 2019, 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion View Post
I made that the first column.

I zipped the csv and my structure file and attached it for your examination. It's a legacy realm I've been using since I bought RW in 2012. It resisted any attempts to convert it to pathfinder, despite hardly any customization (only a few tags I think).
Hi Merion,

The tool thinks that the CSV file has no data.

The first line in the file needs to be the column names.

The second line would then contain the data for the columns.

Even doing something as simple as just having a number for each column name should be enough for you to get the column names used as part of the topic definition.

I should have guessed this from your original image, since you had the full text of a snippet being displayed on the topic view side of the window rather than just a short column name.

Farling

Last edited by Farling; December 7th, 2019 at 11:28 AM.
Farling is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old December 10th, 2019, 11:42 AM
That did it! Thank you very much for your help!

RW crashed, but the import still worked.

For those interested, you find the zipped .csv attached. (the forum does not like .csv files and the import file is likely useless for you as it uses my outdated realm structure).
Attached Files
File Type: zip Long Rest Encounters.zip (6.0 KB, 2 views)
Merion is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old December 12th, 2019, 01:02 PM
I expanded the list a bit further. It now contains the following:
Long Rest Encounters
Dungeon Encounters
Scary Forest Encounters
Beach Encounters
Nordic/Viking Encounters
Travel Encounters
Aerial Encounters
Social Encounters on the Road
Tavern Encounters
Forest Encounters
Desert Encounters
Sea Travel Encounters
Sailing Conditions
Jungle Encoutners
Forest Locations
Uncharted Islands
Cavern Curiosities
Natural Landmarks
Art along the path
Mountain Encounters

You can find the .csv and the .rwexport attached.

DISCLAIMER:
I cannot stress enough that I do not claim any authorship to these lists! Except the last one, which comes from https://www.reddit.com/r/d100/, I took all of them from http://dndspeak.com/ - they have even more great lists, check them out.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Encounters.zip (345.3 KB, 2 views)
Merion is offline   #9 Reply With Quote