Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

kingpaul

Send a message via AIM to kingpaul Send a message via MSN to kingpaul Send a message via Yahoo to kingpaul

Old March 25th, 2007, 08:51 AM
I use Firefox as my primary browser, yet when I call up the manual in HL, it starts IE. Is there a way to change this?
kingpaul is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Sigil

Old March 25th, 2007, 09:22 AM
I use Firefox also and it would be nice not to have to use IE. So I second that question/request.
Sigil is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
DannyBoy2k

Old March 25th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Ummm...easiest way around this is to open the manual straight in Firefox. Works for me.

-------------
By Lenin's Beard Gel!
DannyBoy2k is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
kingpaul

Send a message via AIM to kingpaul Send a message via MSN to kingpaul Send a message via Yahoo to kingpaul

Old March 25th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Ah, but if you try to call up the *.htm* files in HL itself, it automatically grabs IE. I'd like to change that default setting if its possible.
kingpaul is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 25th, 2007, 03:13 PM
At 09:51 AM 3/25/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
I use Firefox as my primary browser, yet when I call up the manual in HL, it starts IE. Is there a way to change this?
Yes. You need to configure Windows so that Firefox is your primary browser. When you launch the manual within HL, it tells Windows "launch the default program configured for viewing HTML files". By default, that is going to be IE.

To fix this, you actually need to do TWO things. First, you need to configure Firefox to make sure it is the default browser. This is done by going to the Tools menu and selecting Options. On the Main tab, there is a checkbox at the bottom that controls this behavior. Make sure it is checked.

The second thing you need to do is tell IE *NOT* to be the default browser. You see, Microsoft prefers you use its tool, so it likes to steal back control unless you tell it not to. So, with at least some versions of IE and Windows, you have to go into IE and disable the same behavior. Go to the Tools menu and select Internet Options. You should be able to configure it there.

This will ensure that Firefox is truly your default browser for all purposes, and with all programs.

Hope this helps,
Rob
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 25th, 2007, 04:14 PM
At 04:12 PM 3/25/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
Ah, but if you try to call up the *.htm* files in HL itself, it automatically grabs IE. I'd like to change that default setting if its possible.
HL does NOT grab IE. HL tells Windows:
*** Here is a .HTM file. Launch the configured default tool for this file.

Then Windows looks up its default program for .HTM files and launches that tool. On every system of mine, it automatically launches Firefox, because I have successfully configured Firefox to be the default browser AND I've managed to configure IE to not constantly re-assert itself as the default browser. It's this last bit that can sometimes be a pain in the keister, thanks to Microsoft's arrogant insistence that you must use IE.

Go into Windows Explorer. Navigate to any HTM file on your computer. Double-click on it. Whatever browser is launched is what Windows believes is the default browser. HL uses the EXACT SAME method as Windows Explorer for launching the browser to view HTM files. When you get things working correctly within Windows Explorer, then try it in HL. It should then work.
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
kingpaul

Old March 25th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Now I'm truly confused. I went into both browsers, and Firefox says is set to be the default and IE is not. I click on *.htm* files, and Firefox comes up. I restart HL, click "View Manual", and IE opens.
kingpaul is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
sppeterson

Old March 25th, 2007, 07:32 PM
It's coming up in Firefox for me -- this is both for View Manual off the Configure Your Hero popup and off the Help >> d20 system menu item.
sppeterson is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
kingpaul

Old March 25th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Aha! I found the problem. Firefox was set to be the default browser, IE was set to not be the default browser. However, *.htm files were still set to use IE, while *.html files were set to use Firefox.

Once I got that item taken care of, Firefox now launches.

I see what you mean by the insistence to use IE. What part of "Firefox is default" does XP not understand?
kingpaul is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 25th, 2007, 09:49 PM
At 08:49 PM 3/25/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
Aha! I found the problem. Firefox was set to be the default browser, IE was set to not be the default browser. However, *.htm files were still set to use IE, while *.html files were set to use Firefox.

Once I got that item taken care of, Firefox now launches.
Excellent!

Quote:
I see what you mean by the insistence to use IE. What part of "Firefox is default" does XP not understand? [img]./modules/mdforum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Yep. And it's particularly obnoxious to products like HL that do everything possible to be properly behaved Windows programs, yet Microsoft's crapola ends up making it look like we're doing it wrong.

That's why I switched to the Windows Explorer suggestion. If you can get a file to open with the correct program by double-clicking it within Windows Explorer, you've basically got the battle won. Until that works, there's no point trying it from within another program like HL.
rob is offline   #10 Reply With Quote