Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Parody

Old January 10th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Daelda, hopefully by now you've filed a bug report using the online form, as the developers are the ones who can help you figure out what's going wrong.

But for what it's worth, here's a couple of notes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daelda View Post
In addition, I got some new pdfs released by the publisher and wanted to add them to Realm Works, but I keep getting "An error has occurred" when I try to add them. I know there is a file size limit - but these don't exceed that.
Are you storing sourcebooks in your Realm Works database? I would recommend not doing that. It bloats up your database for no real good reason. If you need a way to sync those sorts of files between machines, use a file-oriented service like Dropbox. (I just copy the files between my file server and a flash drive and/or my tablet's SD card. No service needed.)

Quote:
... My computer has 8GB of RAM, so I would hope I'm not running out of RAM....
Realm Works is a 32-bit application, so it'll only use 2 GB of RAM.

Edit: See how long it takes me to write things sometimes? A dev showed up! :)

Parody is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Dakadin

Old January 10th, 2015, 12:34 PM
I've encountered this with other 32-bit programs. Once the commit memory size gets to about 1.7-1.8 GB the program will crash. You can try checking it by doing the following:
  • Start Task Manager by right clicking your task bar
  • Click the Processes tab
  • Click the column for Memory so it sorts it with the highest memory usage at the top
  • Load up RealmWorks and try to repeat the process that is causing your issue
  • Watch the memory as it increases to around 1.7-1.8 GB for the RealmWorks process

It will at least let you know if you are hitting the limit.

Last edited by Dakadin; January 10th, 2015 at 12:37 PM.
Dakadin is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Daelda

Old January 12th, 2015, 11:44 PM
Update: For whatever reason, the program "fixed" itself and is now working fine. I wanted to wait a while to make sure it wasn't just a fluke. Weird that it did that for a while and then stopped. Dunno what changed.

As to storing Sourcebooks - I run a Harn game and I want to share many things with my players (as they are unfamiliar with Harn). I have attempted to use Google Drive and other solutions and been met with...less than enthusiasm (I think that, of my 10 players between my two weekly games, I got perhaps 3 people that ever used it). However, once I got them the Player Edition of Realm Works, even my most reluctant Player has been fairly enthusiastic about using Realm Works.

I still keep my larger files off of Realm Works (for many reasons, including the file size limitations). But even doing that, I have a lot of files (maps, location information, Guild details, etc) that I keep on Realm Works.
Daelda is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old January 13th, 2015, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Update: For whatever reason, the program "fixed" itself and is now working fine. I wanted to wait a while to make sure it wasn't just a fluke. Weird that it did that for a while and then stopped. Dunno what changed.
Memory allocation stuff can be sensitive to what else you have running on the machine. If you had other intensive apps open, you might not have had 2 gig to allocate...
MaxSupernova is offline   #14 Reply With Quote