Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Shadowrun

Notices

zeepee

Old January 18th, 2016, 03:13 PM
Hi Lone Wolf Development,

I am curious to know if there still are any development or support plans on the Shadowrun 4th Edition ruleset for Hero Lab, or has it been unofficially been put “on hold” ?.

Back in June 2012, when we were still reporting bugs through the forums, I reported a bug in the official Shadowrun 4th edition bug report thread for Hero Lab.

http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=21750

My original bug report was post 7 in that thread, which was followed later in post 74, 75 and lastly in post 83, all in the same thread.

It was a very basic bug, that wrongfully calculated the prices of all the playable character races, except humans, due to rule changes back in 2012. So this bug impacts everyone that uses the KarmaGen system to create characters within Hero Lab for Shadowrun 4th Edition.

In June 2015, three years later, the bug were not fixed.
So I opened a new support case (case 73861) through the new bug report system and reported the bug again and also uploaded screendumps from the official books highlighting the rule changes, since the answer from the forums back then, were that you hadn’t access to the rule erratas at the time.

I received an answer from you, where you acknowledges the bug, and puts in on your “to-do” list.

Approximately 14 days later I open another support case (case 76630) regarding miscalculations on the magic attribute during character creation, which affects all magic using characters, which choses to use any augmentations in the game.

Again, I receive an acknowledgement that it is a bug, and you will put it on the “to-do” list.

We are now in 2016, another half a year has passed and still none of mentioned bugs have been fixed.

Now, I understand that your primary focus is on Realm Works, with the Content Store and the Web based client coming soon and all.
Also, I understand that the customer base on Hero Lab for Pathfinder and maybe Shadowrun 5th Edition as well, are bigger, and a lot of new books have arrived recently that you need to incorporate.
However, since we are not talking about a single quality or piece of equipment here, but miscalculation bugs that are affecting almost all chosen races.
I mean, it is a base part of the character creation process, which is the most basic function of Hero Lab and affects all users using this system (KarmaGen), shouldn’t this be a priority, since you are still selling the product.

Now, I am aware that I can “workaround” the bugs, by manually going through all characters created with Hero Lab and then subtract the costs where Hero Lab does it wrong, but this really shouldn’t be necessary. If I enjoyed doing that, I wouldn’t have bought Hero Lab in first place.

So Lone Wolf Development, I think we have been more than patient in this regard. Are these issues ever going to be fixed and will we see any further development (it is now over a year since we have seen any enhancements) like basic calculated wound penalties, like we have for the other Hero Lab systems for example, or are all future focus on the 5th Edition of Shadowrun from now on..?

Kind regards
Zeepee

PS:
Before anyone asks, yes I am aware that the 5th Edition of Shadowrun has been released and most of the core supplementals “Run & Gun”, “Street Grimoire” “Data Trails” and “Chrome Flesh” are out as well.
You may prefer 5th edition of Shadowrun and think it is the best edition to date, but please bear in mind, that other players don’t.
We, like many others in our rpg community, still prefers to play Shadowrun 4 Anniversary Edition. We don’t think the continuing dumping/simplifying down the rules, equipment capping, and weird wireless bonuses is the way to go. We like that they brought back the initiative system from 3rd edition, fixed the broken spells, the fleshed out addiction system and so on, which we have incorporated into our games as well. But all in all, this edition is not for us, and we are not the only people thinking that way.

Last edited by zeepee; January 18th, 2016 at 04:16 PM.
zeepee is offline   #1 Reply With Quote