Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

thaX

Old February 16th, 2020, 07:07 AM
Though HLO is not quite up to par with HLC, it will improve and get to that point. Surpassing it, that remains to be seen.
Something to keep in mind is that HLC is in the same position as Etools was when that company was working on a new character generator (and all around RPG tool). This was before the license yank.
The bugs for HLC right now is no where near what Etools and PC Gen had at the end of their run.
thaX is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
Krothos

Old February 16th, 2020, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaX View Post
Though HLO is not quite up to par with HLC, it will improve and get to that point. Surpassing it, that remains to be seen.
Something to keep in mind is that HLC is in the same position as Etools was when that company was working on a new character generator (and all around RPG tool). This was before the license yank.
The bugs for HLC right now is no where near what Etools and PC Gen had at the end of their run.
Sorry, I don't find this really helpful as a user of HLC that is upset by the lack of support and updates.

Most users of HLC are using this software because their platforms aren't supported on HLO (aside from the other issues, such as no Community Pack or Editor support, no offline mode when server is down or Internet isn't available). eTools was produced by Wizards of the Coast. PCGen by Bryan McRoberts. The last 2 aren't associated with LW and don't have any relevance to how LW manages their product.

LW has always had an excellent level of support, which is why I invested so much in them and their software. Further, LW promised to keep HLC alive and not allow it to die. Now, it's a pittance of an update every few months, and "yes, that is a bug, we'll report it to the developers" with nothing further.

Last edited by Krothos; February 16th, 2020 at 08:36 AM.
Krothos is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
thaX

Old February 16th, 2020, 02:23 PM
What I am saying is that HLC has reached a plato just as the other examples had. There is only so much the older program can do and has already reached some limits that parallels what the previous programs had.

There was a decision that this company had reached when faced with the same issues of limitations of the older program that likely can not be patched or worked around, especially looking at the rules from the latter books of the edition.

The online model isn't really my cup of tea, but has advantages that the older program simply can't compete with, though I question whether or not the App in a web portal was the best solution for a device driven character generator, or if it could have been accessed in a different way using programed portals on various platforms. (The PC being primary for my own uses)

Right now, Printing a character sheet for HLO is the biggest issue that is preventing my purchase of the new product. I could not care one wit about the campaign mode of the thing.
thaX is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old February 16th, 2020, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
I very much expect that it is at an impasse. Apple don't want apps to sell in-app purchases outside of the App Store; since Apple doesn't get a cut of the sales.
If that's the reason (and we're all just guessing since LW hasn't said a peep about it), then the big boys who are working around Apple (Fortnite, Netflix, others) are somehow making it work. It might be that they're so big (and entrenched) that Apple feels they can't cut off all of those customers...

Quote:
LWD don't want to lose their iPad customers; which they will have to do if they want to release the very latest PF data sets (see other threads where LWD have said that they can't provide the latest PF until they can update the client on all platforms).
Or they get rid of the license key inside the app and switch to some scheme that requires an online sign-in to use.

That doesn't really help them much, though; the whole reason for using the iPad app is that it's great for at-the-table gaming when you may not have network access.

One option would be to simply check within the app — if you have network access, then authenticate with the LW server. If you don't, let the user use the software for the time being and set a (30 day?) timeout on it.

(I want to point out that I would not want a 30 day timeout; what happens when the LW servers are decommissioned? Every user is cut-off from their app and their data...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaX
There is only so much the older program can do and has already reached some limits that parallels what the previous programs had.
As a programmer, I want to point out that there's nothing that software can't do. (Well, given capable hardware, at least. Software can't make your coffee in the morning unless you've got hardware connecting your computer to your coffee pot.)
Azhrei is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
thaX

Old February 16th, 2020, 03:58 PM
Etools did have some programming blocks that could not be overcome, though, I know that just from the overall discussions at Codemonkey forums and what the program was doing before it got yanked from their hands. I believe HLC isn't to that point, yet, but it does have some things that have needed workarounds fignegaling to figure out.

Not being a programmer, I don't know how close HLC is to the point that Etools was at, but I believe this was one of the factors going into the creation of HLO.
thaX is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old February 17th, 2020, 11:34 AM
Yeah, I was mostly being facetious. Sorry.
Azhrei is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
taks

Old February 17th, 2020, 01:19 PM
I just want the other half of Tyrant's Grasp released. We start book 4 next week.
taks is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
Krothos

Old February 27th, 2020, 08:34 AM
Nothing from LW? The silence is speaking loudly. Can only assume LW is now completely ignoring PF1 users, and nothing more is to be expected from them on this product. Feel sorry for their customers that purchased the Tyrant's Grasp AP and haven't received the data packs for the last 3 books.
Krothos is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
Meatpuppet

Old February 27th, 2020, 10:10 AM
Man I miss the days when this app was supported...

Watching it slowly dying like this makes me sad

I went through the same thing with Dm Genie in 2007 ):
Meatpuppet is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old February 27th, 2020, 11:32 AM
Yep. So much for promises that the product will be supported even though it's not being further developed.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #40 Reply With Quote