Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - World of Darkness

Notices

PsychoJon

Old December 24th, 2007, 12:20 PM
IS there any way to have a character with an out of clan discipline pass a validation?
PsychoJon is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 25th, 2007, 02:26 AM
At 01:20 PM 12/24/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
IS there any way to have a character with an out of clan discipline pass a validation?
Are you trying to create a character with two or more dots assigned to out-of-clan disciplines?

According to the rules, you can select one dot in an out-of-clan discipline from the initial pool of three dots. The other two must be spent on favored disciplines of the clan. So that's what HL checks for in its validation. If you have only one dot spent on an out-of-clan discipline (or zero dots), you should NOT get any validation errors.

I just did a few quick checks and HL appears to be working correctly on this. If you're running into a specific situation where HL is doing things incorrectly, please let me know how to reproduce the problem on my end so I can get it fixed.

Or am I completely misunderstanding the question?
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
PsychoJon

Old December 25th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Well I've created a gangrel who purchased Auspex with XP after character creation
PsychoJon is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 14th, 2008, 11:08 PM
At 07:32 AM 12/25/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
Well I've created a gangrel who purchased Auspex with XP after character creation
Ah! I was focused on creation, where HL is working correctly. It seems disciplines taken during advancement are applying the same logic as for creation and they need to be made exempt. This is now on the todo list to be fixed in the next update.
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
PsychoJon

Old February 17th, 2008, 10:18 PM
If I might make a suggesion, add the ability to ignore Pre-Requisite Errors
PsychoJon is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 20th, 2008, 02:39 PM
At 11:18 PM 2/17/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
If I might make a suggesion, add the ability to ignore Pre-Requisite Errors
Turning off all prereqs on a blanket basis seems like a pretty big stick to me. Do you really want to turn them all off? Or are there certain ones that you want to disable? And in what situations would you want to turn them off? Please help me to understand so that we can better adapt the data files to do the sorts of things users want.
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
PsychoJon

Old February 26th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I don't mean turn them off, but rather acknowledge the errors and be able to selectively disable them as they come up.
PsychoJon is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
krathen

Old March 7th, 2008, 04:42 AM
How does that help GM's who want to force you to follow the rules if you can just dismiss things?
krathen is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
PsychoJon

Old March 11th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Who is going to force the GM to look and make sure you not violating a Pre-Requisit? I could just as easily put it on a character sheet and do the same thing on paper, but that's not the issue here. My issue is I have learned an out of clan discipline (Auspex in this case) and I don't want to continualy see the error. I would rather dismiss it and see it only if I create other errors.
PsychoJon is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
krathen

Old March 12th, 2008, 08:44 AM
PsychoJon: I as a GM would /dislike/ the ability for my players to dismiss errors, it means that they can go and hide an error, I'm using this tool so that I don't have to triple check character sheets for inconsistancies, why would I want a player to remove the ability for me to do that? Especially for new players, this is a nessicary thing to happen, now if you had the pre-requisits to learn the out of clan discipline I don't see why it's showing up as an error, that is what you should be looking for.
krathen is offline   #10 Reply With Quote