Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Krothos

Old June 13th, 2017, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Other people consider us updating things to the latest rules to be a service. It's all tradeoffs, Dwayne. Unfortunately things didn't go your way this time, sorry.
I kinda feel a bit like Dwayne, and felt things should have stayed the same from other material. Further on that, I don't remember seeing anything official from Paizo that these duplicated items in AG are actual updates/errata to previous sources. Is this official Paizo errata (if so, from where/whom) or just a decision of LW team?
Krothos is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old June 13th, 2017, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
It's ok. I do understand. I just wish there was an option to choose to keep previous versions.
Perhaps that could be a project for the community files?
Aaron is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Minous

Old June 13th, 2017, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Perhaps that could be a project for the community files?
I requested a copy of the original items (because they are from non-core sources they cannot be copied) but my requests where ignored. Moving them to a community project would be an ideal solution.
Minous is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Lord Magus

Old June 15th, 2017, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minous View Post
I requested a copy of the original items (because they are from non-core sources they cannot be copied)
They cannot be copied, but can be recreated by transcribing the original. If you still have an older, pre-AdvGui version of the PF files, install it in a newly created folder to have access to those original items in that system's editor.
Lord Magus is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Minous

Old June 15th, 2017, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Magus View Post
They cannot be copied, but can be recreated by transcribing the original. If you still have an older, pre-AdvGui version of the PF files, install it in a newly created folder to have access to those original items in that system's editor.
They can be copied via LW staff. Transcribing these is asinine, LW should be able to release a copy of them for the community. Having to re-code a bunch of items when it has already been done, is a waste of time easily avoided.
Minous is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old June 15th, 2017, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minous View Post
They can be copied via LW staff. Transcribing these is asinine, LW should be able to release a copy of them for the community. Having to re-code a bunch of items when it has already been done, is a waste of time easily avoided.
I'll bring the idea up to my boss, but I am a bit uncomfortable with the precedent that would set.
Aaron is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 15th, 2017, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
It's ok. I do understand. I just wish there was an option to choose to keep previous versions.
Pathfinder is now pushing 10 years of existence, Dwayne. It's not a long stretch at this point to think that they'd start making changes. If you like the old version of something you can just add it into Hero Lab as a variant option yourself in the editor. There is nothing to keep you from adding the older version if that's your preference. Its not a perfect "Fix" but you can always get the prior version readded and get it into the community packs for everyone to use.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old June 15th, 2017, 10:19 PM
Quote:
I'll bring the idea up to my boss, but I am a bit uncomfortable with the precedent that would set.
Aaron,

I understand your point of view, but you need to remember that some game masters will not switch the new version of class as soon as its out. Keeping depreciated versions of changed material would help people who might choose to keep running the old version of a class. I know this may sound odd coming from me, but over the 5e playtests the "Revised" ranger class has had many mixed reviews. I'd be pretty miffed myself if they updated it in a future release and my software accounted for the change without keeping the original. Especially when Mr. Mearls originally called it a variant class. If a Gamemaster doesn't like or agree with the changes in a revision, they have a Rule 0 right to rule a player cannot use it. For consistency keeping the old versions as community data pack data might be helpful.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old June 16th, 2017, 09:15 AM
I talked it over with Colen, and we don't think it's a good idea to give out old data files on demand. If you feel a particular thing from Avg should have been split rather than updated, you can submit a bug report and we'll take a second look, or you can reproduce them yourself and perhaps submit them to the community files. Hope that helps!
Aaron is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old June 16th, 2017, 09:45 AM
Quote:
I talked it over with Colen, and we don't think it's a good idea to give out old data files on demand. If you feel a particular thing from Avg should have been split rather than updated, you can submit a bug report and we'll take a second look, or you can reproduce them yourself and perhaps submit them to the community files. Hope that helps!
To be perfectly honest I am not sure I want to open that door either. Maintaining a whole separate set of Classes/Feats/Abilities would suck. I can see where lots of issues with Pre-Req and Archetypes will cause problems and error reports. It means trying to "trick" HL into thinking these "Custom" versions are the same as the "Real" versions.

I quickly see this not being maintained by the person who wants it and dropping it in my lap. I can't speak for anyone else but I simply have NO time to add this to the my current work load. Sorry....

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #20 Reply With Quote