Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

xangpow

Old November 10th, 2016, 08:23 AM
Are there any plans to include "Volo's Guide to Monsters"?
xangpow is offline   #291 Reply With Quote
dropbear8mybaby

Old November 10th, 2016, 02:09 PM
I'm sure there are, but it's a lot of work. I would volunteer but I can't even figure out how to make one of the races myself so I'd probably be more of a hindrance than anything else.
dropbear8mybaby is offline   #292 Reply With Quote
xangpow

Old November 10th, 2016, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropbear8mybaby View Post
I'm sure there are, but it's a lot of work. I would volunteer but I can't even figure out how to make one of the races myself so I'd probably be more of a hindrance than anything else.
I feel the same way. I don't even know what program to use.
xangpow is offline   #293 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old November 10th, 2016, 03:10 PM
The PC races are 99% done and working.

https://github.com/Sklore/HL_DD_5e_C...ive/master.zip

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #294 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old November 10th, 2016, 03:19 PM
Races are dead-set easy. For the sake of learning, install the file linked above.

From HL click Tools > Show Editor. Then File > Open Data File.

Open COM_5ePack_VGtM - Races.user

Click the Race tab then the Race tab and just have a look at the races listed. Have you copy of the book next to you and compare the two. You will notice very quickly how it works.

Probably the hardest bit about Races is the Racial Special Abilities. If you click that button you will see it links to other 'things'. You can see those other things by changing to the 'Racial Special' Tab.

Of course there are complex parts of the editor. But just opening the editor and looking at pre-existing things can teach you a hell of alot.

Even if you enter in the skeleton of something and don't put any Eval scripts in. That's still useful to the Community as we can just ask the more experienced users to finish it off and get the coding elements functional.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #295 Reply With Quote
dropbear8mybaby

Old November 10th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Probably the hardest bit about Races is the Racial Special Abilities.
That's where I run into issues. Everything else is easy, but figuring out how to implement specials requires scripting knowledge which... I just don't have the brain for and find very confusing.

Quote:
Of course there are complex parts of the editor. But just opening the editor and looking at pre-existing things can teach you a hell of alot.
That's what I do but I still find a lot of it confusing. It just took me an hour to figure out how to do something as basic as putting in the Long-Limbed feature for a bugbear. Now that I know how to put in a new racial feature so that it pops up on the list, it'll be quicker, but the fact that it took so long to figure out in the first place, is the stumbling block of learning an entirely new paradigm.

I think this is something that people who have gone through this process, or who have a fundamental understanding of how things like this work from other experiences or knowledge, like with a programming background, forget. And as helpful as a forum can be, it's not the same as having ready access to a teacher whose job it is to help you learn. For regular Joe's, spending hours figuring these things out without the aid of a teacher, isn't exactly fun or rewarding, especially if you already have a full-time job.
dropbear8mybaby is offline   #296 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old November 10th, 2016, 04:02 PM
You greatly over-estimate my programming experience lol.

I have next to no programming experience. Everything I do is copying something that someone else has already done.

My process for doing scripting is:

1. Open up the Github and use the search function to look for the name of the thing i want to mess with. 90% of the time the thing I'm trying to achieve has already been done. I simply copy it.
2. If I find something that works I copy it into the Github Wiki so I can copy it again in the future.
3. Beg someone more experienced for help

so far it's worked quite well.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #297 Reply With Quote
dropbear8mybaby

Old November 10th, 2016, 04:11 PM
Quote:
You greatly over-estimate my programming experience lol.
But all of that requires the impetus and drive to get it done. Most people, including myself, don't have that because they want the program to work for them, not them have to work to make it work.

I only get that motivation when I'm so frustrated that something isn't available or working as I think it should, that I decide the investment of time and energy tips the scales towards being worthwhile.

Not trying to belittle you or anything by saying this. If anything it's a compliment to your dedication and passion. I'm just saying that most people don't have that and just want to click buttons to get things to work.
dropbear8mybaby is offline   #298 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 10th, 2016, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropbear8mybaby View Post
For regular Joe's, spending hours figuring these things out without the aid of a teacher, isn't exactly fun or rewarding, especially if you already have a full-time job.
This is exactly the same it is for everyone that starts out in HL editing. NO ONE even those with a programming experience sit down and just does HL scripting.

It takes time to learn. And why the forums and the YouTube Videos exist. Plus why LW does seminars at every Gen Con. I don't forget how many hours it took me to learn HL scripting and the "wording". Which is exactly why the FAQ and Glossary of Terms I put together even exist. To attempt to make it easier for the next person.

My question would be have you read the Glossary of Terms for the Editor. Then check out FAQ#2 for all the places to learn about the editor including YouTube videos.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #299 Reply With Quote
xangpow

Old November 10th, 2016, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Races are dead-set easy. For the sake of learning, install the file linked above.

From HL click Tools > Show Editor. Then File > Open Data File.

Open COM_5ePack_VGtM - Races.user

Click the Race tab then the Race tab and just have a look at the races listed. Have you copy of the book next to you and compare the two. You will notice very quickly how it works.

Probably the hardest bit about Races is the Racial Special Abilities. If you click that button you will see it links to other 'things'. You can see those other things by changing to the 'Racial Special' Tab.

Even if you enter in the skeleton of something and don't put any Eval scripts in. That's still useful to the Community as we can just ask the more experienced users to finish it off and get the coding elements functional.
Looks challenging and a bit confusing. I think I might have to try it out. Its been a while since I scrambled my brains.
xangpow is offline   #300 Reply With Quote