Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Dark Lord Galen

Old March 26th, 2015, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking2054 View Post
.............. However, it looks to me like Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast actively protect their Intellectual Property and have the lawyers to make peoples lives miserable.

So, when people ask you not to ask for IP from lawyer heavy mega corps, then you should consider the possibility that they are trying to protect the product they've spent their hard earned money on.
And this (not to put words into AEIOU nor Viking's mouth) isn't to say that these "mega corps" aren't overzealous in their pursuit at times. I have a friend that successfully battled WOC over Greyhawk IP, but it took TIME and doing it the right way. And because Casey chose not to "winky-winky" (LOVE THAT BY THE WAY) we the community have the Bandit Kingdoms Summary.
Located here (for the GH'ers following along) http://www.amazon.com/Casey-Brown-BD...ngdoms+summary

To WOC Credit, they did acquiesce when pressed for the betterment of the community as a whole.

Quote:
So, again, there are no shortcuts. You might be able to see how others have done it but because of the way RW was set up, at least for now, you can't drop in a file into some directory and restart RW to get someone else's content without either destroying or else renaming your database. In any case you wouldn't be able to use your content and the shared content at the same time.
@ Viking... Well Put to the entirety of your response...

Quote:
Although you see AEIOU as calling you a bad guy, I see him as trying to help protect LWD and the rest of us that are willing to pay a small fee for legal access to content.
EXACTLY... and did like the "winky winky" part
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
storeyl

Old March 26th, 2015, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfseeney View Post
I own the books, that should allow me to work with another that does so we do not have to duplicate the effort.
No one is stopping you doing anything you may be legally entitled to do. You can get together with your friend and collaborate in whatever medium you so want. Duplication of effort avoided. Write your own program if needed to facilitate such a thing.

But you having a right is entirely different to expecting others (e.g LWD) to provide you with the means to do it easily without regard to the legalities or commercial issues that they might face to get the go-ahead for such features.

It is also not the same as asking someone else to just privately copy stuff to you and ignore legal issues.
storeyl is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
MintMMs

Old April 3rd, 2015, 08:41 PM
As someone who's started to put some simple 5E stuff into RW, I would suggest adding the topics to the Mechanics Reference. FIRST put entries for the Conditions, Skills, general gameplay topics (dying, falling, exhaustion, ....) BEFORE you start entering in spells and monsters.

I did try creating specific 5E spell & monster templates but found it was easier to use the standard Spell/Power and Monster/Enemy classes when I cut-n-paste from my working Word docs as it wasn't worth the extra effort right now. I had originally thought, "oh, it'd be cool to search for all Lawful Good creatures," which I could do with a custom template but realized that I'd just be perusing the books for ideas anyways.

Maybe I might reorganize in the future, but it's working quite well for now.
MintMMs is offline   #13 Reply With Quote