Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Canine

Old February 21st, 2015, 04:50 PM
The only other thread I found was from over a year ago so I thought I'd revisit the issue. I was thinking about buying Realm Works, but without a trial version I can't tell for sure if I'll be able to use it on Linux under Wine. Have any of you recently made any effort to do this? How well did it work?
Canine is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old February 21st, 2015, 07:55 PM
Attached is a snipit from another thread from a user IMO has reliable knowledge concerning your question.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by parody
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Originally Posted by Barwickian
(2) One of my players can't get Realm Works running under Wine on his Mac.
To save further time: Realm Works doesn't work with WINE.
sorry for the bad news, but there has been a lot of that lately
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old February 21st, 2015, 10:28 PM
To clarify: I have not personally tried WINE, as all of my modern machines run Windows except for my file server (FreeBSD). However, nothing I know of has changed that would indicate Realm Works would work under WINE, and every post others have made indicates it does not.

Last edited by Parody; February 22nd, 2015 at 07:27 AM.
Parody is online now   #3 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old February 22nd, 2015, 08:06 AM
Thanks for follow up Parody
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old February 22nd, 2015, 09:36 AM
The RW FAQ is always a good resource. I know the OP was looking at running under Linux via WINE which likely means they are knowledgeable enough to read between the lines of the explanation regarding a Mac version.

Porting is likely on the agenda still but given that calendars are almost a year out still, I'd honestly estimate a realistic date for a port as several years out unless something dramatically changes within .NET and/or Mono.

Quote:
When will Realm Works work on the Mac?

The answer to that is unknown at the moment. When we first began development of Realm Works, we chose C# and .Net as our environment for a number of reasons. One of those reasons was the existence of the Mono project, which would allow us to readily port Realm Works over to the Mac. Unfortunately, our latest assessment of Mono revealed that a few portions of .Net that we leverage within Realm Works are not supported by Mono, which means we aren’t able to perform the port as we had intended. We’ll be investigating this more fully now that Realm Works is released, after which we’ll hopefully have more accurate information on where things stands vis-à-vis our use of Mono.
AEIOU is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Seregil

Old February 22nd, 2015, 11:05 AM
I would like it to work in WINE as well, to free me from using Windows as much as possible (it's a form of cancer, didn't you know?).

However, as indicated above, it's not in the cards for the foreseeable future. A virtual Machine is the best way to use in in another environment. Still need a license for Windows though....
Seregil is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old February 22nd, 2015, 07:20 PM
While nothing is for certain, I personally doubt OS X and the Linux variants will have a native client. The web client will be their solution.

Rob's two posts starting here (Mac/iPad/Android Integration) are (as far as I know) the most direct on the subject.

Last edited by Parody; February 22nd, 2015 at 07:24 PM.
Parody is online now   #7 Reply With Quote
LudoBermejo

Old February 23rd, 2015, 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
While nothing is for certain, I personally doubt OS X and the Linux variants will have a native client. The web client will be their solution.

Rob's two posts starting here (Mac/iPad/Android Integration) are (as far as I know) the most direct on the subject.
I'm not sure. Now that Microsoft has opensourced the .NET framework, perhaps it would be possible. I don't know how many private components has the code, but it could be possible.

What do you say, Realmworks developers?
LudoBermejo is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old February 23rd, 2015, 05:16 AM
We had a small thread on the open sourcing of .NET Core 5: Microsoft releases .NET as open source.

.NET Core 5 is a subset of the full .NET Framework, and does not include many of the components you need for a desktop application. (See the first picture in the announcement blog post about .NET Core 5 being open-sourced.) Much of this part of the Framework was already reimplemented in Mono. Bringing them closer together should help anyone developing .NET applications, if that's the direction the Mono folks want to go.

More importantly, there are non-Framework things that Realm Works needs that aren't working properly or aren't responding the way Realm Works expects under WINE+Mono or WINE+.NET. WMI, for example.

I've started working on getting virtual machines set up with WINE+Mono and WINE+.NET installed so I can see what happens for myself, but I'm no Linux expert so it's a learning process. :(

Parody is online now   #9 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old February 23rd, 2015, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LudoBermejo View Post
What do you say, Realmworks developers?
Lol
Sorry this made me laugh.
Ludo, being new to the forum, you may have not noticed threads discussing developer work overload.
This feature, unless Rob changes his mind AGAIN, is not likely to occur in the next couple of years.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #10 Reply With Quote