Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

King Chicken

Old December 23rd, 2015, 05:24 PM
I was wondering if there were any way to link something from higher up in an article/topic to a wordier descriptor later in the same article/topic.

Example:
I am entering text for 5e campaign, and am building an article for player classes. The progression table is just words, for instance "Ability Score Improvement". Can I make this word link to a snippet further down in the same article?

I envision this working the same way an anchor link works in HTML so that it allows you to navigate directly to where you need to be in a long page of text from an index.

Alternately, I could simply make a number of "sub-articles" to the main articles so that they link appropriately, but creates a lot of extra articles not necessarily required.
King Chicken is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old December 23rd, 2015, 05:39 PM
No, not at this time. You can make each keyword its own article. Or if there aren't many, you may make an article with a numbered list of the contents and then add sections for each. It won't link but it will give you both a short summary at a glance and more info if you scroll down to the numbered section.
AEIOU is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
King Chicken

Old December 23rd, 2015, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the quick response.

Going to have to ponder if I want to rebuild my articles to have sub-article links through the keyword from the parent article. Might be more work to start, but more friendly for reference long term. Hard to say. I mean the article isn't that big. Ponder ponder.

RW: D&D 5e Sandbox campaign - Faerun
RW: Pathfinder Sandbox in Greyhawk - waiting for Marketplace for PF rules
Using Fantasy Grounds for VTT, Waiting for Roll20Pro(Mage Hand) Release
RW: Paizo - Strange Aeons AP

Last edited by King Chicken; December 23rd, 2015 at 07:23 PM.
King Chicken is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 23rd, 2015, 06:13 PM
Always takes some thought on whether to break an article up. In the beginning, I tended to get to granular until I decided it was often easier to just scroll down than have to leave the article to jump to another or open the linked article in a new tab. My rule of thumb now is that if I have a many articles that will link to the same thing AND the explanation requires quite a bit of text, then I will make it into its own article. Otherwise, cutting and pasting is probably easier as a reader.

Even in encounters, I'll over copy over statblocks for monsters rather than just link to the article for that monster, unless the monster is more complicated with lots of special abilities and legendary effects. I like that in a pinch I can just type in a monster name and have it hyperlink to the monster article, but at the table, it is nice to just have the statblock in the encounter.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
King Chicken

Old December 23rd, 2015, 07:28 PM
I can see how my RW-fu has changed over time. I used to be super granular, thinking "wikipedia" depth of linkage. But it got tedious, and since I use a lower powered laptop at the table, the number of windows I was switching through became a real distraction. Hence the hope that since we have been working with RW going HTML compliant, we might get all the cool linkages that work in HTML.

Has Lone Wolf considered a "Source Editor" to allow you to switch from WYSIWYG to an html source, like this BBCode board I'm looking at, and you could drop html code into the links? Obviously it would be optional, I can't imagine a lot of people would leverage it. But, since the source is html it might be a possibility.

RW: D&D 5e Sandbox campaign - Faerun
RW: Pathfinder Sandbox in Greyhawk - waiting for Marketplace for PF rules
Using Fantasy Grounds for VTT, Waiting for Roll20Pro(Mage Hand) Release
RW: Paizo - Strange Aeons AP
King Chicken is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old December 24th, 2015, 07:40 AM
I'm hoping for css editing, even if only for specific things. A source editor would be awesome but I'm really doubtful.
AEIOU is offline   #6 Reply With Quote