Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Kalladar

Old January 5th, 2015, 06:40 AM
I am trying to create a dagger that would grant a user 2d6 sneak attack damage if they have no levels in a class that would give them sneak attack. If they are in a class that grants them the sneak attack feature, they would increase their sneak attack damage by 1d6. I looked at the sneak attack class feature, but am not sure how to script it to add it to the weapon. I searched through the forums and found one thread talking about increasing the damage, but not the number of dice. Could someone point me to a script I could look at to get an idea of how to do this?

Thanks.

Kal
Kalladar is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old January 7th, 2015, 04:37 AM
I believe each 'die' of sneak attack is added as an additional pick to the hero. You may be able to simply have the weapon, when equipped, bootstrap the sneak attack ability onto the hero twice.
Fuzzy is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Kalladar

Old January 7th, 2015, 07:10 AM
I will try that. It seems that if I do that it would double the sneak attack damage and I just want to add a small amount to it. Kind of like bane but without using bane.
Kalladar is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old January 7th, 2015, 12:27 PM
I think bootstrapping the class ability version to an item won't work so well. Try bootstrapping the racial ability version instead.
Aaron is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Kalladar

Old January 7th, 2015, 12:36 PM
I will try that. Thank you.
Kalladar is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old January 7th, 2015, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalladar View Post
I will try that. It seems that if I do that it would double the sneak attack damage and I just want to add a small amount to it. Kind of like bane but without using bane.
Sorry, I didn't notice that you want to add 2d6 if originally NO sneak attack, or 1d6 if already having sneak attack. that's going to be a bit tougher, as you'd have to check for presence before adding one or both of the sneak attack abilities.
Fuzzy is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Kalladar

Old January 8th, 2015, 05:55 AM
I still am no closer to figuring this out. Maybe I will sidetrack it for another item for now.
Kalladar is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old January 8th, 2015, 08:24 AM
Okay, so I did find a sort of example of what you are trying to do. The Mantis Blade, from Serpent's Skill, along with many other abilities, grants a 1d6 sneak attack (that stacks with an existing sneak attack feature). It does this by bootstrapping in the raSneakAtt, and setting it's abValue to 1 (this is the number of dice this particular pick adds). You can see how this is done by making a copy of the mantis blade, and looking in the bootstraps button.
Fuzzy is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Portilis

Old January 8th, 2015, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Sorry, I didn't notice that you want to add 2d6 if originally NO sneak attack, or 1d6 if already having sneak attack. that's going to be a bit tougher, as you'd have to check for presence before adding one or both of the sneak attack abilities.
Not really much more tricky.

You can do a bootstrap that adds +1d6 sneak attack automatically, then a second bootstrap that also adds +1d6 sneak attack one tick earlier on the timing that adds +1d6 sneak attack if no sneak attack is already present on the character.

Combined with your later comment, this should allow for the workings.
Portilis is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old January 8th, 2015, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portilis View Post
Not really much more tricky.

You can do a bootstrap that adds +1d6 sneak attack automatically, then a second bootstrap that also adds +1d6 sneak attack one tick earlier on the timing that adds +1d6 sneak attack if no sneak attack is already present on the character.

Combined with your later comment, this should allow for the workings.
I was just attempting to do that - and it's difficult. There isn't a good way to check if the hero already has sneak attack before bootstrapping in raSneakAtt, because raSneakAtt has an eval script that runs at First/5000. This means you cannot use a bootstrap conditional that runs AFTER that timing. Class sneak attacks would be added much later than that, so there's no way to check for it. Also, raSneakAtt, unlike cSneakAtt, doesn't check for multiple instances of itself, so bootstrapping it twice creates two Sneak Attack +1d6 abilities on the character, instead of a single Sneak Attack +2d6.

Because of this, I can't make it work right in 'all' situations.

Here is what I have done. I created the weapon that bootstraps in raSneakAtt, with an abValue of 1. I then created an Eval Script on the weapon that checks for the presence of Ability.cSneakAtt, and if it is not present, adds 1 to onr of the raSneakAtt pick's abValue. This will work in nearly all situations - the only time it won't work right is when something else is granting raSneakAtt (only thing I found that did that other than the Mantis Blade is the Morlock 'race'), and nothing is granting cSneakAtt. In which case, the raSneakAtt shows up from the race, and a separate 2d6 sneak attack entry from the weapon. Multiple raSneakAtt only gets cosolidated when cSneakAtt is present.

Pre-Levels/10000
Code:
doneif (hero.tagis[Ability.cSneakAtt] <> 0)

hero.child[raSneakAtt].field[abValue].value += 1

Last edited by Fuzzy; January 8th, 2015 at 10:19 AM.
Fuzzy is offline   #10 Reply With Quote