Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

dragonladytoo

Old October 28th, 2012, 08:34 PM
How dare MS not consult with Lonewolf and check to see if you wanted overtime!!

Windows 8 was released this weekend and myself (and I am sure many others) installed it onto their Herolab licensed machines. The program works (as far as I can tell), but the license sensing mechisism kicked in, and requires a license renewal on the machine. And of course things being what they are, lonewolf had several updates the past month so the process gets stopped by the 'Uhoh you already did this in the past 120 days' you have to ask for special permission from Lonewolf to do this.

I know you guys are busy enough getting all the database updates that have been heading your way via the publishers into your products. But don't blame us for Microsloths wonderfull planning to roll out their new OS on the weekend! (hey at least they didn't wait till Wednesday of Thanksgiving week, right?).

So dead in the water till you boys (and girls) get back in the office Monday morning and reset those permissions for us.
dragonladytoo is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 29th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Be very careful with which license number you use on each computer.

Each copy of Hero Lab is licensed for use on two computers, but each of those computers must have a different license number, or you will get the behavior you're describing - if you use the same license number to install Hero Lab on a second computer, Hero Lab thinks you're done using it on computer #1, now you're using it on computer #2. Then, the next time you update computer #1, Hero Lab says "OK, you're done using it on computer #2, now you're using it on computer #1".

In the license menu, choose "Obtain Secondary License" to get a number to use on a second computer.

If you've already done so, the "Send my Licenses to me" option in the license menu will remind you what numbers you have available.

If you want to check what license numbers you're using on each computer, go to the help menu, and choose "About Hero Lab".
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Giddoen

Old October 29th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Mathias you just saved me a world of grief! Thank you, while I knew this I almost just went and did the rereg....glad I stopped myself and checked the forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Be very careful with which license number you use on each computer.

Each copy of Hero Lab is licensed for use on two computers, but each of those computers must have a different license number, or you will get the behavior you're describing - if you use the same license number to install Hero Lab on a second computer, Hero Lab thinks you're done using it on computer #1, now you're using it on computer #2. Then, the next time you update computer #1, Hero Lab says "OK, you're done using it on computer #2, now you're using it on computer #1".

In the license menu, choose "Obtain Secondary License" to get a number to use on a second computer.

If you've already done so, the "Send my Licenses to me" option in the license menu will remind you what numbers you have available.

If you want to check what license numbers you're using on each computer, go to the help menu, and choose "About Hero Lab".

I have faith!...my character sheet says so!
Giddoen is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
freeAgent

Old October 30th, 2012, 08:57 AM
I bought all four licenses so I can juggle them between my personal desktop and laptop plus my work laptop. I upgraded both of my personal computers and only had to get Lone Wolf to manually allow one of my activations (and you guys were pretty quick, even on a weekend).

Still, it would be nice to be able to manually free a license from inside the software so I didn't have to bug Lone Wolf so much
freeAgent is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
dafrca

Old October 31st, 2012, 11:36 AM
So does this mean HL will work with the new Windows Tablets?
dafrca is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Nanan00

Old October 31st, 2012, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafrca View Post
So does this mean HL will work with the new Windows Tablets?
Windows 8 RT is not an x86/64 platform and thus no standing software will work on it much like the ipad os and mac osx programs. Can it be done? yea sure, they would need to recompile for the ARM platform with whatever build structure and to get the Windows Tiles UI stuff to work they would have to buy a windows certification from Microsoft so they can get the dll needed to make that stuff work.

Last edited by Nanan00; October 31st, 2012 at 04:31 PM.
Nanan00 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
dafrca

Old October 31st, 2012, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanan00 View Post
Windows 8 RT is not an x86/64 platform and thus no standing software will work on it much like the ipad os and mac osx programs. Can it be done? yea sure, they would need to recompile for the ARM platform with whatever build structure and to get the Windows Tiles UI stuff to work they would have to buy a windows certification from Microsoft so they can get the dll needed to make that stuff work.
So the Surface Pro 8 is not running Windows 8 but some kind of fake Windows 8? That is not good, they are telling lies to those who are pre-ordering the Pro.
dafrca is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Krimson

Send a message via MSN to Krimson Send a message via Yahoo to Krimson Send a message via Skype™ to Krimson

Old October 31st, 2012, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafrca View Post
So the Surface Pro 8 is not running Windows 8 but some kind of fake Windows 8? That is not good, they are telling lies to those who are pre-ordering the Pro.
From what I see the Surface Pro 8 has an Intel processor as opposed to its ARM counterpart that runs Windows RT. Meaning you should be ok to run Hero Lab on it.
Krimson is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 1st, 2012, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimson View Post
From what I see the Surface Pro 8 has an Intel processor as opposed to its ARM counterpart that runs Windows RT. Meaning you should be ok to run Hero Lab on it.
That's our understanding of things as well. The Surface RT, which is out now, runs a different chip and entirely different operating system. It's similar to the iPad running iOS and the Mac running OSX - two completely different systems and no compatibility of programs.

When the Surface Pro comes out, it will run a full version of Windows 8, which means it should run applications like Hero Lab smoothly. Note the operative word here is "should".

We don't have access to a Surface Pro, so we have no idea how well things will actually work at this point. All we have is the info Microsoft has published thus far. We'll know for sure when the Surface Pro is actually released.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
dafrca

Old November 1st, 2012, 07:36 AM
Great, then I will just have to wait and see.

Thanks for the feedback/input guys. :-)
dafrca is offline   #10 Reply With Quote