Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

FaeruN

Old March 6th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Hey people, I don't know if I have to post this on here but, whatever...

The problem is that I've just created almost 6 races and now I wanna check if they work, the editor compiles but when I try to add a race, hero lab crashes and closes... I've readed around there that I someone deleted his temp folder files, but I cannot find them... anyone knows where it is supposed to be? or any other way to fix the crashing problem
FaeruN is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 6th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Is it a specific race or any of the 6 races or any race at all?

If you can narrow it down to just one race then you can maybe figure out what strange thing your doing on that race that is causing the issue. Back many versions you could have bootstraps that bootstrap themselves but I am pretty sure HL checks for that now.

So you could start by removing one bootstrap or eval script at at time until you can find the one that HL is not liking.

That would be my advice anyways.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
FaeruN

Old March 6th, 2012, 04:40 PM
it is a crash to desktop, as soon as I click to load all the races, it freezes and crashes...

For those races I didn't use any eval script, but for one of them I had to create a racial special ability and a new spell
FaeruN is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 6th, 2012, 04:45 PM
"...click to load all the races..." Do you mean when you click the "Choose Race" option on the Background tab? Does it finish bringing up the list before it crashes?
Mathias is online now   #4 Reply With Quote
FaeruN

Old March 7th, 2012, 10:37 AM
(sorry if I don't speak a proper english xD) yeah that's what I mean, and it doesn't finish bringing up the list
FaeruN is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 7th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Can you find all the .user files you've created, and temporarily move them out of the folder they're in, then within Hero Lab, use the "Quick Reload Data Files" option within the Develop menu (you may need to enable everything on the develop menu by checking the first item on it).

Then, try adding a race - does it work?

If so, put your .user files back into their original folder one at a time, quick reloading HL each time.

What I'm trying to accomplish here is that first, I want to make sure something's not damaged about your HL install by making sure a clean copy still works, then we'll work on narrowing things down to exactly what's causing this error.

Once you've narrowed it down to a specific file, my email address is my user name here, @wolflair.com. I'd appreciate it if you could send me that file, and I'll try to figure out exactly what's causing the problem.
Mathias is online now   #6 Reply With Quote
FaeruN

Old March 7th, 2012, 11:59 AM
I've created only one user file (I will send it to you)

I've tried checking deleting races (and obviusly saving them somewhere else before) and when I reached the 4th race I've got the problem, but I didn't prove yet with the 5th and 6th race, and I don't remember if I checked the 3rd race or I've deleted before doing it...

Mathias I am sending you the .user right now, thank you, so you can check it is me, my email is fezero1@hotmail.com
FaeruN is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 7th, 2012, 12:48 PM
In the description that's presented in HL, there's an internal limit (I think it's 5000 characters) as to how much text can be presented. I think something's happening with the very long description texts you've copied for your races - either the length of it is breaking something, or the 5000 character limit happens to hit at a bad place for at least one of those races.

By taking the file you sent me, and deleting all the description text for each race past the History section, I got it to load properly.
Mathias is online now   #8 Reply With Quote
FaeruN

Old March 7th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
In the description that's presented in HL, there's an internal limit (I think it's 5000 characters) as to how much text can be presented. I think something's happening with the very long description texts you've copied for your races - either the length of it is breaking something, or the 5000 character limit happens to hit at a bad place for at least one of those races.

By taking the file you sent me, and deleting all the description text for each race past the History section, I got it to load properly.
got it, then I know which race does have the problem, I will have to shorten the description, thank you Mathias
FaeruN is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 7th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Could you tell me which race(s) you have to edit to get it working, and how much to delete from their text? That way, I can send your file to Colen and tell him exactly where the problems are, and hopefully in the 3.9c or 3.9d update of HL itself, we can make it safe to add that much text, even if it won't all be displayed.
Mathias is online now   #10 Reply With Quote