Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

chaoscowboy

Old March 28th, 2017, 07:39 PM
Sorry for another question so soon. The Mogogol, by Alluria publishing can be medium or small sized, chosen at character creation, and it's land and swim speed change based on the size, though otherwise it's identical between the sizes.

I'm thinking the way to do this is with a dropdown selection but I'm not certain if that's the best way of handling this or how the code would work. I've googled and searched the forums and found snippets of code but none of them really seem to work. I believe I'm misusing RaceSize.
chaoscowboy is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old March 28th, 2017, 07:53 PM
Because size can be a big factor on a lot of things, you may be better off creating the race as Medium, and when done create a Copy to make it Small. So you would have two races to pick when setting the Race on a character's Background tab, but each would probably work a lot better in the long-term than one race that had to be "finagled" (that's a technical term ) into being either or both.
Silveras is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
chaoscowboy

Old March 28th, 2017, 07:57 PM
That's what I was thinking, how best to handle feats with a prerequisite for Mogogol as the race? Make the default one and have the second one 'counts as'? Or use the same subtype (mogogol) and set up the feat prereq that way? I was thinking the subtype on account that the supplemental material I believe may have alternate mogogol races.

Edit: I'm working on my best attempt at a conversion of Cerulean Seas. Not going to touch buoyancy with a ten foot pole but the custom content for now is convertible.
chaoscowboy is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old March 28th, 2017, 09:50 PM
I'd keep them as a single race if possible, and represent any future variations as subraces through either ARTs or racial custom specials.

If you'd like to see an example of a race which changes size, I believe there are several you could look at. The Vanara ART "Change Size" from blood of the beast is one, the Exscinder Archon from Bestiary 5 is another, it has a racial ability called "Change Size" that lets it be anywhere from small to large.
Aaron is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Roadie

Old March 28th, 2017, 10:06 PM
The other option might be to make a racial ability with a chooser on it for size, and have a script set a size and speed adjustment based on that. It would be harder to set up, but it would let you add validation that forces somebody to explicitly pick one or the other rather than defaulting to particular size.
Roadie is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old March 29th, 2017, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
I'd keep them as a single race if possible, and represent any future variations as subraces through either ARTs or racial custom specials.

If you'd like to see an example of a race which changes size, I believe there are several you could look at. The Vanara ART "Change Size" from blood of the beast is one, the Exscinder Archon from Bestiary 5 is another, it has a racial ability called "Change Size" that lets it be anywhere from small to large.
Aaron, it sounds like you're suggesting how to make a race with the ability to change size. That's not the case here.. the race will be fixed at either Small or Medium after the character is created. Does your advice still apply in that case?
Silveras is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
chaoscowboy

Old March 29th, 2017, 05:56 AM
Well it's changing the size based on selection that's difficult for me, that doesn't also apply attribute bonuses or penalties. Also making it so you can only select small or medium. I don't own Bestiary 5, only the first bestiary and a few select content bits, as I'm poor and all that. I have Rbook Entry Path, Advanced Player's Guide, Ultimate Magic, Summoned Creatures, Bestiary 1, Campaign Settings #9 and 12, and Iron Gods encounters.

I think a better way to do this than a selector might be alternate racial traits, like the way the tiefling hertiages work. It will default to small, since most of them are small, but you can select a medium variant which increases your speed but you lose out on a single racial ability (double checked, skilled climber is only for small).

But again, changing the size without messing with the ability scores. How do I script that?

EDIT: Freeport, City of Adventure Saves the Day!

Some island trolls, whatever those are, can be large sized instead of medium. Well, with this code, I can make the alternate racial trait for small to medium!

Code:
doneif (tagis[Helper.SpcDisable] <> 0)

hero.findchild[BaseRace].field[rSTR].value -= 2
perform hero.findchild[BaseRace].tagreplace[RaceSize.Medium0,RaceSize.Large1]

~ hieght/weight adjustments

hero.findchild[BaseRace].field[rHeightMnM].value = 90
hero.findchild[BaseRace].field[rHeightMnF].value = 87
hero.findchild[BaseRace].field[rWeightMnM].value = 375
hero.findchild[BaseRace].field[rWeightMnF].value = 340

Last edited by chaoscowboy; March 29th, 2017 at 06:32 AM.
chaoscowboy is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old March 29th, 2017, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoscowboy View Post
Well it's changing the size based on selection that's difficult for me, that doesn't also apply attribute bonuses or penalties.
It is strange that you don't want the size modifiers for being Small. They are a basic part of the Pathfinder rules.
Farling is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 29th, 2017, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
Aaron, it sounds like you're suggesting how to make a race with the ability to change size. That's not the case here.. the race will be fixed at either Small or Medium after the character is created. Does your advice still apply in that case?
Yes. An ART or Racial Special is setup one time at character creation. Which fits the idea. You select the race as Medium and then you "could" apply the Small ART option to make the race small sized. Or start Small and they select being medium. Which ever way is more common.

Aaron's way is pretty much how I would handle this also.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 29th, 2017, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoscowboy View Post
Some island trolls, whatever those are, can be large sized instead of medium. Well, with this code, I can make the alternate racial trait for small to medium!

Code:
doneif (tagis[Helper.SpcDisable] <> 0)

hero.findchild[BaseRace].field[rSTR].value -= 2
perform hero.findchild[BaseRace].tagreplace[RaceSize.Medium0,RaceSize.Large1]

~ hieght/weight adjustments

hero.findchild[BaseRace].field[rHeightMnM].value = 90
hero.findchild[BaseRace].field[rHeightMnF].value = 87
hero.findchild[BaseRace].field[rWeightMnM].value = 375
hero.findchild[BaseRace].field[rWeightMnF].value = 340
I was going to mention changing the tag size on the Race "very" early timing like First/200 or so would be a good way to go. This way the race is fully treated as the new size going forward. HL will not by default change attributes by doing the above tag replacement.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #10 Reply With Quote