Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ri_gamer

Old October 13th, 2016, 12:35 PM
I've been entering spells and weapons into the mechanics reference. To do this I created tags for weapon properties, magic schools, etc. Is there a way to have these tags link to a topic describing the property, school, etc?
ri_gamer is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 13th, 2016, 05:30 PM
You need to turn on automatic tag detection for the tag domains in question. You then need to employ automatic tag detection on the topics/articles that contain those tag names. This will cause the tags to be associated with the snippets in which those tags appear.

You'll find more details about how this process works within the release notes. It was outlined for the release where this was introduced, but I don't exactly remember which release that was (although it was within the past year).

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ri_gamer

Old October 14th, 2016, 03:48 AM
Great! Thanks for the quick response
ri_gamer is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ri_gamer

Old October 14th, 2016, 04:13 AM
Replied too quick. I created a 5EWeapon category for 5th edition weapons. In this category I have a tag snippit called Properties (Two-Handed, Heavy, etc). I also have Articles for each of the properties with the same name. When creating a weapon, I select one or more Properties, I was hoping that the tag would link to the article. It looks like automatic tag detection only detects a tag within text, not within a tag snippit (unless I'm doing somethig wrong)
ri_gamer is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 14th, 2016, 04:59 AM
It seems I read your post too quickly and didn't realize you're trying to associate the tags with separate topics/articles. We don't currently have that capability, although it's something that's definitely on the long todo list.

You're correct that the way automatic tag detection works is to recognize the tags within the text and then assign them to the snippet. Sorry for giving you wrong information and getting your hopes up. I was trying to take a few minutes out from coding to be helpful, but I was going too fast, so I didn't read your post accurately.
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Kathorus

Old October 14th, 2016, 04:59 AM
My understanding is that tags in Realm Works are primarily for filtering searches. So, for instance you could have two tag groups, one being a generic helper with one of the items being "Weapon" and a weapon properties groups with one of the items being "Heavy", then you could make a search for "Heavy, Weapons" and everything you tagged with those would show up.

Topics have a primary name, there is also a name management feature that allows the input of additional names (Ctrl+Shift+A) for the topic. This allows the linking to topics.
Kathorus is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ri_gamer

Old October 14th, 2016, 05:58 AM
Many thanks Rob, please get back to coding
ri_gamer is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Billy277

Old January 16th, 2017, 01:31 PM
I wanted to revive this thread rather than a create one, as I had a related question.

What, for most people, is the exact purpose of tags? I understand wanting to categorize a character or event, but is there any sorting or filter capabilities associated with them?
Billy277 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old January 16th, 2017, 02:46 PM
Tags can be used to sort and filter in the sort and filter dialog. That's their main point of usefulness. In the "Custom Search Filter" dialog, after the field for text is a button to select one or more tags to include in your filter.

Personally. I dislike tags. I use them sparingly, and find text more useful. Many of the things that are tags (Race, Class, etc.) in Pathfinder are things I would prefer to have linked to the appropriate Mechanics content.. so I prefer to use text search.

With export and import, I imagine I will find tags more useful.

In a mystery game, tags for character descriptions and traits could be a useful tool for finding suspects based on witness descriptions and other clues.

EDIT: To expand a little, I think what people would like (I know I would) is something that presented Topics or Articles in a list to allow selection ... and avoid typos that prevent linking to them. Tags present the list, but they aren't a list of Topics or Articles (even though it is almost certain that some of them {Races, Classes, for example} would be based on the game system -- IF the mechanics were also loaded).

When working with software development, time and again we asked our users not to tell us what they thought the best solution was (such as "Tags as links") but to tell us what they wanted to accomplish (which, in the case I suggested, would be "avoid typos that prevent auto-linking") and let us suggest what we thought were workable ways to achieve that goal.

Sometimes, when I point out potential problems with suggestions, that's what I am getting at .. focus more on explaining what you're trying to accomplish and less on telling LWD how to go about it.

Last edited by Silveras; January 16th, 2017 at 03:05 PM.
Silveras is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 16th, 2017, 03:51 PM
I use tags a lot.

First I tag content to make it easily searchable and filterable. In my main realm I have several dozen deities and I don't always remember which one is which but if I remember some details like elf god with air as a domain I can filter them down to a handful and speed up the search.

Second the utility tags (empty, incomplete and some others) are invaluable as a to do list. When You use the quick create (Ctrl-Q) feature it tags the new topic with empty by default and I frequently tag a topic with incomplete if I start working on it but don't get it finished and know I won't be getting back to it immediately. Being able to find those unfinished pieces in a big realm would otherwise be very tedious.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote