Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

mirtos

Old May 16th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the lack of progress on d20. It's something I've wanted to devote some of our time to for a while, but unfortunately keeping up with Pathfinder and our other game systems has soaked up all of our time over the last couple of years.

While we're unable to provide any non-OGL content for d20 due to licensing restrictions, we do still want to continue development on it and add features like some of the ones you've been mentioning. We'll let everyone know when we have something to announce for that, although I'm not sure of the timescale at this point.

Sorry for the lack of movement on this game system - we're hoping to do better with it in future.
Its understandable that Pathfinder has soaked up your time. Im glad that its still on your radar.
mirtos is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
lifer4700

Old May 16th, 2014, 08:34 PM
Speaking as an Authoring Kit owner, would there ever be any chance that - since it's not high on the priority list, and been somewhat neglected for a while - that Lone Wolf might finally loosen up their grip on the source XML for d20? Or is it still too popular in sales?

I am currently working on a game system that is very similar to d20, but has a few major core differences in mechanics.

The skeleton/SW/4E files are a great set of reference docs, but they're not worth anything for re-use, so I have to re-design the d20 system from scratch. The d20 source, on the other hand, would have plenty I could recycle, and just modify the parts that are different. It would save tons of time.

Last edited by lifer4700; May 16th, 2014 at 08:38 PM.
lifer4700 is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Alistair

Old May 22nd, 2014, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the lack of progress on d20. It's something I've wanted to devote some of our time to for a while, but unfortunately keeping up with Pathfinder and our other game systems has soaked up all of our time over the last couple of years.

While we're unable to provide any non-OGL content for d20 due to licensing restrictions, we do still want to continue development on it and add features like some of the ones you've been mentioning. We'll let everyone know when we have something to announce for that, although I'm not sure of the timescale at this point.

Sorry for the lack of movement on this game system - we're hoping to do better with it in future.
A fresh thread on this coincided nicely with my recent purchase of 3.5. If there ever is an occasion when time is available, I want to make sure it's noted that both the Epic-level play rules, and the "Create-a-Deity" rules (though not any published deities, themselves) are OGL and in the RSRD.

Source: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35
Alistair is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Hubrice

Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:27 PM
I've been meaning to post this for some time. This is not about new content but about the program itself.

My first exposure to LWD was through Hero Lab and I purchased the d20 rules set based on feedback, reviews, and the demo. I was surprised and disappointed in the lack of updates and improvements. Given what I know now, I would have rather have purchased the PF version and modded it as needed for my campaign. I realize that the rules set is old, virtually unsupported via paper, and most of the revenue had moved on to 4E or PF. But it was essentially offered for the same price so with that, I expected the same level of updates and improvements (again, not new content).

I feel that I did not get my money's worth with the d20 license. It just does not feel as polished. The blue interface is difficult to look at, the UI is outdated in many places, and the usefulness of the editor tools is limited to those with substantial programming skills. I tried following many of the tutorials, but just did not have much luck. What I was looking for just was not covered, or the instructions were incomplete, or unclear to me. I admit that that most of the difficulty is probably on my end, but I thought I was purchasing a system that would allow me to control my game.

All that said, I saw Realm Works and fell in love with it and gave LWD another shot (RW is great!). I have accepted the limited usability of Hero Lab on my end. It allows me to manage combat well enough and to track character stats as needed. While I would greatly appreciate some more love towards the d20 version, it's currently "good enough" for me. My group will eventually move to D&D Next and maybe that version will be what I am looking for.

As for the current d20 license, I feel that it is not strong enough to stand on its own. Maybe it should be included free with the base HL license, or system creator kit, in addition to the choice of an actively supported system. Or maybe come with a coupon for a more actively supported system. Regardless, I'm happy with LWD, RW, and have accepted the d20 HL "as is".
Hubrice is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old May 25th, 2014, 06:51 AM
I wouldnt say that its not strong enough to stand on its own, I would say that the weakness of the interface (forget anything about new content) is much weaker than pathfinder.

For example:

in pathfinder, if you go to the customize armor or weapon (not editor, just normal customize), the space for the description, name, and the modifier, and file the 'X' is much bigger. In d20, often the description goes over the 'X' preventing you from even being able to remove things. This is a pretty basic UI bug. Ive discovered that if ive accidently added things (double clicking when i meant to click) sometimes the only way to remove the ability is to remove the item itself, and start from scratch. ok, i can do it, but this is something that i think just isnt up to snuff.

There are a lot of these issues.

I know it sounds like we're complaining. To some degree we are.
mirtos is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 25th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Things are finally in place for me to say something in this thread.

I'm excited to be able help out LW with the d20 system! Not the community stuff but the actual skeletal/package files for the system. So I am starting to fix the issues in the Bug Reports - Version 3.14 thread.

It is going to take some time for me to get up to speed so my plan is start with simpler issues and bug fixes at first. While I would love to jump in and fix the UI issue mentioned above I am going to have to leave that one alone for now. But hopefully as I learn I will get faster and better and can knock out all existing issues including the UI ones.

Once I get the core system bug free and I have more experience in the frame work my "hope" is to move onto adding new functionality. This will be down the road some as I need to gain experience in how the system fits together. It is pointless to add new features if it just breaks things.

Also please keep in mind I am NOT a full time employee of LW but a Volunteer. I still have to work my normal, full-time job to pay the bills. I will be doing my best but please keep in mind that I will be only putting in a few hours of work a week on this stuff. But I hope some movement is better than none.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old May 26th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Things are finally in place for me to say something in this thread.

I'm excited to be able help out LW with the d20 system! Not the community stuff but the actual skeletal/package files for the system. So I am starting to fix the issues in the Bug Reports - Version 3.14 thread.

It is going to take some time for me to get up to speed so my plan is start with simpler issues and bug fixes at first. While I would love to jump in and fix the UI issue mentioned above I am going to have to leave that one alone for now. But hopefully as I learn I will get faster and better and can knock out all existing issues including the UI ones.

Once I get the core system bug free and I have more experience in the frame work my "hope" is to move onto adding new functionality. This will be down the road some as I need to gain experience in how the system fits together. It is pointless to add new features if it just breaks things.

Also please keep in mind I am NOT a full time employee of LW but a Volunteer. I still have to work my normal, full-time job to pay the bills. I will be doing my best but please keep in mind that I will be only putting in a few hours of work a week on this stuff. But I hope some movement is better than none.
That's awesome.
mirtos is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old May 27th, 2014, 08:11 AM
Thanks, Shadow! Even just getting the bugs fixed will be a huge improvement!
Sendric is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Hubrice

Old May 27th, 2014, 09:58 AM
Shadow, that is awesome. Congratulations and thank you. This is really good news and it also speaks highly of LW. I am really impressed that they are willing to open this up to you.
Hubrice is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 29th, 2014, 07:15 PM
No problem at all guys!

Anyways I sent over my first batch of bug fixes over to LW to have it code reviewed. Its been awhile sense anyone has code reviewed my stuff as on my normal job I act as gatekeeper.

So crossing my fingers that I did everything right.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #20 Reply With Quote