Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

evildmguy

Old September 10th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Greetings!

Okay, I'm finding the example for the authoring kit tough to follow. It seems as if there are steps that are missed. I have figured out some of them but several have still eluded me.

For example, right now, I'm trying to do the revise "Basics" tab of the hl_kit.pdf (pg 454) where it tries to prune the traits and move them over. I get what's it's trying to do but I can't follow where or which files it adds the Hide trait to so as not to show certain ones.

So, the code: <tag group="Hide" tag="Trait"/>

Where does that go and where does the <list> tag after it go?

Is there anyplace where this code is available to look at? I have tried to look at the Savage Worlds code but it seems to have been updated or changed from the examples as I can't find these lines in there.

I'm sure I will have more questions later!

Thanks!

edg
evildmguy is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 11th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Develop Menu...Create New Game System will give you a copy of the Skeleton files - the same starting place the Savage Worlds files used.

(here's the page in the "Savage Worlds Walkthrough" portion of the wiki that's drawn from: http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....hanges_(Savage)
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old September 11th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Here's the steps I've written out.

I'm in the process of editing the video, and hope to have it out early next week.

Steps in creating a new Game System in Hero Lab.

1. Open Hero Lab, choose any game system.
2. Click 'OK' at the Configure Your Hero screen.
3. Click 'Enable Data File Debugging' in the top Develop menu item if not already enabled.
4. Click 'Create New Game System...' from the top Develop menu.
5. Enter a directory name in the dialog box that pops up.
6. Enter a name for the game system (will probably add dialog on what are good directory naming schemes)
7. Go to Tools -> Explore Folders -> Program Data Folder
8. Double-click on the data folder, and then the folder that you created.
9. Go to File -> Switch Game System... and click on the game system you created.
10. Click Ok to close information screen.
11. Click View Manual on the Configure Your Character dialog, and browser should appear with generic XYZ User Manual displayed.
12. View files in folder that was opened, as we will be coming back to them to edit in a text editor.

BoomerET
BoomerET is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
evildmguy

Old September 11th, 2012, 07:02 PM
I apologize that I was not more clear.

While I think a tutorial video is a great idea, I'm talking about the pdf that seems to contain the wiki, of which part of it is the Savage Worlds example. I have worked through about thirty pages of the PDF example.

So, on this page: http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....b_%28Savage%29

I don't know where to put that second, or third, code set. The tag and list examples.

That's what I'm looking to figure out.

In general, it seems as if the example throughout the wiki, starts assuming more and more that the person doing the example knows exactly where to go and where to insert the code. That's why I was wondering if a version of the code made by following the example was out there so I could compare it to mine? I tried comparing it to the Savage Worlds code I have but that hasn't worked.

Thanks!

edg
evildmguy is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 12th, 2012, 07:52 AM
New tags are defined in tags.1st - add "Trait" to the existing "Hide" group there.

Then, add the <tag> element to the relevant component in traits.str

Here's the wiki page that discusses dynamic tables - this is where you can go to figure out the order of things - does <list> come before or after <headertitle>:

http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index...._Element_(Data)
Mathias is online now   #5 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old September 13th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Note:
The wiki link above will only work if you add a right parenthesis on the end.

For some reason that got cut off from the href.

BoomerET
BoomerET is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
evildmguy

Old October 5th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Okay new question. I'm trying to set up ability points and skill points. Skill points are based on INT score. I'm trying to do this in thing_miscellaneous:

Quote:
<thing id="resAtt"
name="Attribute Points"
compset="Resource">
<fieldval field="resObject" value="Attribute"/>
<fieldval field="resMax" value="60"/>
<tag group="Helper" tag="Bootstrap"/>
</thing>

<thing id="resSkill"
name="Skill Points"
compset="Resource">
<fieldval field="resObject" value="Skill"/>
<tag group="Helper" tag="Bootstrap"/>
<eval index="1" phase="Initialize" priority="1000"><![CDATA[
field[resMax].value = herofield[acSklPnts].value
]]></eval>
</thing>
The first one works and tracks it just fine. But when I try and set it via an eval, it doesn't work. I think the acSklPnts isn't set, as I have seen in the debug window, but when I check the values in the pick fields, acSklPnts is set fine. How do I do this at this point? Is it a timing issue? Or do I need to run the eval in a different file?

Or am I really wrong in how I'm trying to set it up? Should I not set these against the actor? Because, again, the top one in the quote above seems to work. Should I just set the skill points resmax later?

Thanks!

edg
evildmguy is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 5th, 2012, 05:52 PM
What's the script that's setting herofield[acSklPnts].value? What phase & priority is it running at? Is that phase & priority before the Initialize/1000 you're using here?

Are skill points in your game always a fixed number? Or are they based on an attribute (or two)? Or are there multiple power levels, each offering a different number of skill points? Are there races/feats/qualities/merits/etc. that can change the number of skill points?

(You'll also want to answer those questions for attributes, in order to figure out if a fixed number is the correct solution in that case, too).
Mathias is online now   #8 Reply With Quote
evildmguy

Old October 5th, 2012, 06:46 PM
I knew I hadn't given enough information and probably hadn't set it up right.

And thanks for the quick answers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
What's the script that's setting herofield[acSklPnts].value? What phase & priority is it running at? Is that phase & priority before the Initialize/1000 you're using here?
Code:
<field
      id="acSklPnts"
      name="Skill Points"
      type="derived">
	  <calculate phase="Render" priority="1000"><![CDATA[
        ~make sure this value consists of the elements that could cause the summary to change
        @value = hero.child[attrInt].field[trtFinal].value * 5 - 5
        ]]></calculate>
      </field>
I'm not sure if that's correct. Still fumbling along. But this is where I set it. Hmm. As I type that, I assume that because I'm setting that in Render, that it is a timing problem? Okay then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Are skill points in your game always a fixed number? Or are they based on an attribute (or two)? Or are there multiple power levels, each offering a different number of skill points? Are there races/feats/qualities/merits/etc. that can change the number of skill points?

(You'll also want to answer those questions for attributes, in order to figure out if a fixed number is the correct solution in that case, too).
I'm working on the Alternity system. Skill points in the RAW are a chart that ends up being (INT-1) *5. So, they are based on a single stat. Yes, there are races and qualities that could affect INT as well as skill points.

I have the equation working but I'm wondering if it was timing.

LOVE Hero Lab! Really enjoying myself trying to figure this out but decided that I don't need to figure out everything on my own.

Thanks!

edg
evildmguy is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
evildmguy

Old October 6th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Arg. Sorry to bother.

I really miss my Intellisense! This working in notepad++ is frustrating!

Anyway, I have skills and I tag the skills with a Profession.

Now what I want to do is compare the profession tag on the hero to the profession tag on the skill if they match, I want to give them a discount on the cost of that skill.

So, under my skill component, I have an eval. It seems with no other qualifiers, doing tagis[Profession.CombatSpec] seems to give me the tag on the skill. How do I then get the tag on the hero? hero.tagis[]? Not sure if that's working exactly as I need it to work.

Of course, the second part of this is how do I make it even more generic, so that I don't have to check each profession type but can generically compare profession.? on the skill and hero and if they match, give them the discount?

Thanks and again sorry to bother.

edg
evildmguy is offline   #10 Reply With Quote