Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

TheIronGolem

Old March 14th, 2016, 06:42 PM
Hi everyone,

The Spheres of Power data package for Hero Lab will soon be available for purchase. This thread will serve as both an announcement channel and a support resource. I am TheIronGolem, the code monkey responsible for the package.

I do not work for Lone Wolf Development, and they are in no way involved with or responsible for this package (though they were kind enough to permit me to have my support thread here on their forums - thanks, guys!). In other words, don't yell at them when SoP doesn't work, yell at me.

Please do not post any replies yet. I will be reserving the next few posts. Update: Okay, you can post now

Last edited by TheIronGolem; March 14th, 2016 at 06:48 PM.
TheIronGolem is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
TheIronGolem

Old March 14th, 2016, 06:43 PM
FAQ - General

What is Spheres of Power?
It's a very cool, 3rd-party magic system for Pathfinder, published by Drop Dead Studios. It includes 11 magic-using classes who can use any of twenty "spheres" of magic. A "sphere" is somewhat like a school of magic in PF or D&D. You spend "talents" to gain access to a sphere, which grants you one or two magical powers. You can then spend further talents to enhance those abilities, gain new abilities within that sphere, or gain access to a whole new sphere.

Where can I buy the Spheres of Power package?
From DrivethruRPG:

Spheres of Power (core):
Hero Lab files only
Hero Lab files plus Spheres of Power PDF (with a bundle discount)

Expanded Options (requires core):
Hero Lab files only
Hero Lab files plus Expanded Options PDF (with a bundle discount)

Battlemage's Handbook (War Sphere, requires core):
Hero Lab files only
Hero Lab files plus Battlemage's Handbook PDF (coming soon)

Destroyer's Handbook (Destruction Sphere, requires core):
Hero Lab files only
Hero Lab files plus Destroyer's Handbook PDF (with a bundle discount)

Diviner's Handbook (Divination Sphere, requires core):
Hero Lab files only
Hero Lab files plus Diviner's Handbook PDF (with a bundle discount)

Enhancer's Handbook (Enhancement Sphere, requires core):
Hero Lab files only
Hero Lab files plus Enhancer's Handbook PDF (with a bundle discount)

Geomancer's Handbook (Nature Sphere, requires core):
Hero Lab files only
Hero Lab files plus Geomancer's Handbook PDF (with a bundle discount)

Illuminator's Handbook (Light Sphere, requires core):
Hero Lab files only
Hero Lab files plus Illuminator's Handbook PDF (with a bundle discount)

Nyctomancer's Handbook (Dark Sphere, requires core):
Hero Lab files only
Hero Lab files plus Nyctomancer's Handbook PDF

Shapeshifter's Handbook (Alteration Sphere, requires core AND Pathfinder Pack):
Hero Lab files only
Hero Lab files plus Shapeshifer's Handbook PDF (with a bundle discount)

Telekinetic's Handbook (Telekinesis Sphere, requires core):
Hero Lab files only
Hero Lab files plus Destroyer's Handbook PDF (with a bundle discount)

Does Spheres of Power require any other data packages to be installed?
Yes, you need Ultimate Magic and the Advanced Player's Guide. This is because Spheres of Power refers to resources from those packages, such as the Versatile Channeler feat, Alchemist and Magus class abilities, etc.

Also, if you have a Shifter with the Impaling Charge trait then it is recommended that you have Classic Monsters Revisited, because without it you will be given a "placeholder" version of the Impaling Charge feat instead of the real version that contains the actual feat description.

Additionally, some of the sphere-specific splatbooks (most notably the Shapeshifter's Handbook) require the Pathfinder Pack to be installed, because they make use of material from Dreamscarred Press.

I installed the package, but I don't see any SoP content like classes or feats.
Make sure your portfolio has Spheres of Power activated as a source. Press CTL-K to bring up the Configure Hero menu, look for "Spheres of Power" under Drop Dead Studios, and make sure it's checked.

Will there be future updates to this package?
Yes, I will be doing periodic updates to fix bugs, introduce previously-missing elements of the SoP book where possible, and just generally improve the experience. I aim to have an update out on a roughly monthly basis, other projects and real life permitting.

How do I specify my character's Casting Ability?
On the Sphere Abilities tab, look for the Casting Ability selector near the upper right corner of the panel.

My CAM isn't getting added to duration/damage/save DC on this sphere/class ability!
You probably haven't chosen your casting ability yet (see above). Even if you're playing a class like Armorist that normally has no choice of casting ability, we ask you to choose anyway, because you might have your GM's permission to use a non-standard ability.

But my DM follows the rules as written in their game and doesn't want us to have free choice of casting ability.
No problem. Although the package makes you pick your casting ability, it also enforces the "correct" choice through warning messages. For example, if you're a single-classed Armorist then you'll have a warning message on your character telling you that you are only allowed to select Wisdom.

Well, my DM lets us pick any casting ability, so I don't want to see that warning.
We've got you covered, too. Enable the "Free choice of casting ability" houserule, and that warning message will be suppressed

I want to give my character a Sphere Wand or Sphere Staff, but I don't see those in the list of magic items.
Sphere Wands and Staves were added in version 1.8, so make sure you have updated to the latest version. Once you have version 1.8 or higher, you can create a Sphere Wand or Staff from the Magic tab by adding "Sphere Wand" or "Sphere Staff" and customizing it with Spheres and Talents.

Are there Adjustments for sphere effects cast on my character by another caster?
Yes. I've added many Adjustments to the package to represent such effects. There are also Adjustments that let you apply bonuses or penalties to your caster level (either with a particular talent, a particular sphere, or overall), as well as the number of spell points and magic talents your character has. You can also add "temporary spell pools", which give you an additional reserve of spell points (like those provided by a wand).

What about Rituals? Or the spellcrafting system?
Unfortunately, Rituals and Spellcrafting are not supported at this time.

Can I create my own SoP content in the editor?
You sure can! The package adds a "Spheres of Power" tab to the editor, where you'll find subtabs for creating SoP-specific elements such as Talents.

What's this "Fractional Caster Level" houserule?
Fractional CL means that when you take levels in more than one Low-caster or Mid-caster class, you will end up with a slightly higher CL than normal, because each class level is treated as giving you 50% or 75% of a caster level (as opposed to the standard method of either giving you a full CL or nothing), and those fractions are then added up (with any leftover fraction being ignored). It's basically the "Fractional BAB" variant rule from 3.5's Unearthed Arcana, applied to caster level.

I have an Armorist. How do I make Bound or Summoned Equipment?
Any Armorist (well, technically any character that has either Bound Equipment or Summoned Equipment as a class ability) should get a new tab called "Bound/Summoned Equipment". On this tab, you can designate items as Bound or Summoned equipment. Items so designated will receive the following benefits: they'll be marked as masterwork items (if they weren't already), they'll be marked as "free" so that they don't count against your character's total wealth, they'll have their weight set to zero if not equipped (because we assume the item is either being used by someone else or simply not currently manifested), and will be findable by any other special abilities that interact with Bound or Summoned gear (such as the Warden archetype's Deadly Guardian ability).

I picked a Bound/Summoned item from the menu, but the selector doesn't show my weapon/armor/shield/staff.
When you first purchase an item that will be Bound or Summoned gear, make sure to select it as a Custom Item (under the top heading on the tab labeled "Magic, Custom & Masterwork Weapons/Armor". Those items can be customized, and that is what the tab looks for.

I have a character with the Alteration sphere. How do I apply a Shapeshift effect?
When you have the Alteration sphere, the Transformation feat, or the "Alteration: Shapeshift" Adjustment, you'll see an Alteration tab on your character. On this tab is a table labeled "Shapeshifts" where you can create and customize Shapeshift effects. You can specify the form and traits granted by the shapeshift, and can even tell Hero Lab whether the effect is being applied by yourself or another caster (which affects form/trait prerequisites accordingly). You can create as many shapeshift effects as you want and then turn on only the one currently affecting your character (if any). This lets you easily switch between forms on the fly without having to stop during gameplay to rebuild your character.

I have another question or problem with the Spheres of Power package.
Post your issue in this thread, or send an email to dropdeadstudios dot herolab at gmail dot com, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

I have a non-Hero Lab question or problem regarding Spheres of Power.
I can only give you answers regarding the Hero Lab package. Rules questions, customer-service issues, and other issues not related to Hero Lab should be directed to Drop Dead Studios.

Last edited by TheIronGolem; October 30th, 2017 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Battlemage's Handbook
TheIronGolem is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
TheIronGolem

Old March 14th, 2016, 06:43 PM
LATEST PATCH NOTES

Spheres of Power Version 1.29 - Released 10/29/2017
  • Spheres:
    • Alteration: This sphere was getting a bonus talent assigned when you first took the sphere.
  • Data File Authoring:
    • Drawbacks now use tags to denote that they ban certain talents, talent descriptors, and other drawbacks
    • Added the SoPHiCastD tag group, which denotes a class as hi-casting with talents of a particular descriptor
  • UI:
    • War tab now shows Totem radius, auto-calculated from War caster level

Expanded Options Version 1.6 - Released 08/06/2017
  • Half-Orc Armorist FCB was not functioning
  • Elf Fey Adept FCB was appending to Shadowmark description even when bonus was less than +1

Destroyer's Handbook Version 1.5 - Released 10/29/2017
  • Fixed Shape Focus throwing an error for its selected blast shape talent

Diviner's Handbook Version 1.5 - Released 09/10/2017
  • Fixed several talents that were not selectable due to missing talent-class tags

Geomancer's Handbook Version 1.3 - Released 09/10/2017
  • Classes
    • Geosurveyer, Archaic Alchemist, Yamabushi: Fixed these archetypes that were not correctly marking their parent classes as spherecasting classes

Illuminator's Handbook Version 1.1 - Released 10/09/2017
  • Updated some tags for compatibility with core version 1.28

Nyctomancer's Handbook Version 1.1 - Released 10/09/2017
  • Updated some tags for compatibility with core version 1.28

Last edited by TheIronGolem; October 29th, 2017 at 07:47 PM. Reason: v 1.29 notes
TheIronGolem is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
TheIronGolem

Old March 14th, 2016, 06:44 PM
Known Issues as of version 1.27
  • Sphere Cleric: Necromantic Focus sometimes gives the wrong bonus sphere (Life/Death). This appears to be due to the "positive/negative" selector being hidden and stuck on the "wrong" choice for characters whose channeling type is set by their deity or alignment. I can't really fix this as it is a function of how Hero Lab handles channeling selection. As a workaround, you can temporarily remove your deity and set your alignment to Neutral, then set the "positive/negative" selector to the appropriate choice and restore your deity/alignment.
  • Some users with Sphere Clerics or Sphere Oracles are unable to choose bonus talents for their domain or patron. This has been determined to be a bug with the "Extend Thing" mechanism that occurs when Things from LW products not included in the user's license are extended (an example from the Community Pack is the Kalfore archetype, which extends two Witch Hexes from Player's Companion #13). This is a bug acknowledged by Lone Wolf that is scheduled to be fixed in the next release of Hero Lab.
  • Fractional Caster Level houserule - For multiclass characters who have levels in Low-Caster or Mid-Caster classes who are treated as High-Casters with specific spheres, total Caster Level with those sphere(s) may be slightly too high. It is recommended you check the caster levels manually, and if incorrect use the "Spherecasting: Caster Level (Sphere)" adjustment to correct it.
  • Taking the Alteration Sphere appears to grant a bonus Alteration talent

Last edited by TheIronGolem; October 25th, 2017 at 03:08 PM.
TheIronGolem is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
TheIronGolem

Old March 14th, 2016, 06:45 PM
(reserved in case I think of something else to add)
TheIronGolem is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
TheIronGolem

Old March 14th, 2016, 06:45 PM
All done with reserved posts! Fire away!
TheIronGolem is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Aaron
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 14th, 2016, 07:22 PM
Congrats!
Aaron is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 14th, 2016, 08:20 PM
Damn! This sounds awesome! Great job...

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is online now   #8 Reply With Quote
frumple

Old March 15th, 2016, 08:16 AM
Sounds awesome!
frumple is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
EldritchWeaver

Old March 15th, 2016, 11:47 AM
Could you please add a talent and drawback template like "Profession (other)"? That way people not requiring the full works can use new handbook talents more easily.
EldritchWeaver is offline   #10 Reply With Quote