Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

ErinRigh

Old March 23rd, 2017, 09:51 AM
i, on the other hand, prefer Word, but html is a nice option
ErinRigh is offline   #141 Reply With Quote
manchuwook

Old March 23rd, 2017, 10:20 AM
Word

Word would probably allow for smoother integration into PowerPoint presentations, Excel spreadsheets, and other office apps - I'd think. At the point, you can use the base functionality for dropbox/google drive/box.com/owncloud/etc.

Also, for the folks that want to use spell check and all of that - you can get Grammarly for free and it comes with its own standalone editor. I usually type my stuff into that before pasting it into RW.

I am Jacks Matrix Action Custom Output - Grammarly Invite Code
manchuwook is offline   #142 Reply With Quote
Grey Mage

Old March 23rd, 2017, 10:21 AM
I can see situations where both would be of value, so put me down for option C.
Grey Mage is offline   #143 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old March 23rd, 2017, 10:25 AM
I'd use both at times, though I'd be more likely to convert to text tagged properly for further processing and/or import into my desktop publishing system.

Parody is offline   #144 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old March 24th, 2017, 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMjoe87 View Post
i know the orriginal was to convert obsidian portal stuff to realmworks but it seems you have done a lot more work to the program.
Actually that was a different program, EightBitz was primarily dealing with export not import.

The OB import was my work, see http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=57474
Farling is online now   #145 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old March 24th, 2017, 05:40 PM
Hello EightBlitz!

I have tried out finally the HTML export. Though the help commands did not work for some reason, the GUI was quite easy to use. Thanks for the great work.

I tried to export my realm for testing purposes. I was interested in the mechanics section and did a full "export" (Compact output) and chose a mechanics source file. Changed the policy settings correctly.

I encountered some issues:
1. Script did not finish the convension, due to an unexpected NULL value with a smart image:

Checked the topic in question. It has a smart image tag added which is unedfined, but has a Annotation text. This seems to be the issue. Removing the smart image snippet fixed it.

[ERROR]
Command Line: &(".\RWExport-To-HTML.ps1") -Source 'H:\RWExport\Shadowrun 1.rwoutput' -Destination '.\MyRealm.html' -Sort 2 -SimpleImageScale 0 -SmartImageScale 0 -CSSFileName 'RWExport_091b_1.5.css' -Format 'HTML' -Prefix -Suffix -Details -Indent -SeparateSnippets -Force
Reason: InvalidOperation - Es ist nicht möglich, eine Methode für einen Ausdruck aufzurufen, der den NULL hat.

Script Line: $SplitFileName = $FileName.split(".")

Topic: Bruderschafts Sektion
Section: Description
Snippet Type: Smart_Image
[/ERROR]

The same issue appeared in a second attempt with a picture snippet. No picture but annotation text. Removed the snippet to fix the issue.

2. The resulting HTML could be reviewed anyways: German umlaute and special characters don't appear correctly in the browser (äöüß), maybe there should be an option to choose a codepage (or use utf-8) also just a guess atm?

3. I also make extensive use of tables in my realm. The text from tables seems often to be garbled (overwrites itself, however the documentation states that tables are untested / not supported) Example image: http://i.imgur.com/mr4qIlD.png

I suppose that here the line breaks need to be triggered somehow, when an end of a cell has been reached.

4. Exporting to word did not work. Following error message was reported:

H:\RWExport\RWExport-To-HTML.ps1 : Das angeforderte Element ist nicht in der Sammlung vorhanden.
In Zeile:1 Zeichen:1
+ &(".\RWExport-To-HTML.ps1") -Source 'H:\RWExport\Shadowrun1.rwoutput' ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : OperationStopped: ( [RWExport-To-HTML.ps1], COMException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException,RWExpo rt-To-HTML.ps1

It seems to claim that the input file is not present? However it starts when going for a html file:

----

That was all for the first export attempt. Thanks again for the effort and great documentation.

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net

Last edited by Acenoid; March 24th, 2017 at 06:08 PM.
Acenoid is offline   #146 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old March 24th, 2017, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acenoid View Post
Hello EightBlitz!

I have tried out finally the HTML export. Though the help commands did not work for some reason, the GUI was quite easy to use. Thanks for the great work.

I tried to export my realm for testing purposes. I was interested in the mechanics section and did a full "export" (Compact output) and chose a mechanics source file. Changed the policy settings correctly.

I encountered some issues:
1. Script did not finish the convension, due to an unexpected NULL value with a smart image:

Checked the topic in question. It has a smart image tag added which is unedfined, but has a Annotation text. This seems to be the issue. Removing the smart image snippet fixed it.

[ERROR]
Command Line: &(".\RWExport-To-HTML.ps1") -Source 'H:\RWExport\Shadowrun 1.rwoutput' -Destination '.\MyRealm.html' -Sort 2 -SimpleImageScale 0 -SmartImageScale 0 -CSSFileName 'RWExport_091b_1.5.css' -Format 'HTML' -Prefix -Suffix -Details -Indent -SeparateSnippets -Force
Reason: InvalidOperation - Es ist nicht möglich, eine Methode für einen Ausdruck aufzurufen, der den NULL hat.

Script Line: $SplitFileName = $FileName.split(".")

Topic: Bruderschafts Sektion
Section: Description
Snippet Type: Smart_Image
[/ERROR]

The same issue appeared in a second attempt with a picture snippet. No picture but annotation text. Removed the snippet to fix the issue.

2. The resulting HTML could be reviewed anyways: German umlaute and special characters don't appear correctly in the browser (äöüß), maybe there should be an option to choose a codepage (or use utf-8) also just a guess atm?

3. I also make extensive use of tables in my realm. The text from tables seems often to be garbled (overwrites itself, however the documentation states that tables are untested / not supported) Example image: http://i.imgur.com/mr4qIlD.png

I suppose that here the line breaks need to be triggered somehow, when an end of a cell has been reached.

4. Exporting to word did not work. Following error message was reported:

H:\RWExport\RWExport-To-HTML.ps1 : Das angeforderte Element ist nicht in der Sammlung vorhanden.
In Zeile:1 Zeichen:1
+ &(".\RWExport-To-HTML.ps1") -Source 'H:\RWExport\Shadowrun1.rwoutput' ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : OperationStopped: ( [RWExport-To-HTML.ps1], COMException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException,RWExpo rt-To-HTML.ps1

It seems to claim that the input file is not present? However it starts when going for a html file:

----

That was all for the first export attempt. Thanks again for the effort and great documentation.
Oof. That's, ummm ... a lot to take in.

1. The issue with the smart images and pictures is a known issue, and thank you for reminding me. That should be easy to fix.

2. I must admit, I wasn't considering other languages when I wrote this script, nor am I well versed in them. This is something I will have to look into.

3. I have not seen that kind of output with tables, so I'm at a loss. In a simple sense, I have tested tables rather extensively. What I have not tested is all the different types of formatting people can and do apply to tables. Font colors, background colors, italics, things like that.

4. Whuh? I don't even ... I mean, I know what you're saying about not being able to find the input file, but as you say, if it can find it for html, it should be able to find it for Word.

At the very minimum here, I have to ask if you would be willing to share your export via dropbox, GoogleDrive, OneDrive, or some other similar service.

In a situation like this, I would also normally ask if you would be willing to share a remote session via skype or join.me or something, but you obviously have your language settings set for German, and I'm not sure how well I would be able to follow along or even navigate myself (under your watchful eye, of course).

But if we could at least start with you sharing your export, I'll see what I can do with that.

Just to tell you the same thing I'm telling others, my free time isn't what it used to be. I'm having to be more aggressive on job hunting, and I do actually have a phone interview on Monday (wish me luck), which if that goes well, they'll invite me for an on-site interview, and if that goes well, I will again be gainfully employed. (Here's hoping).

If that falls through, I have a couple of other possibilities in play. But nothing is guaranteed with any of these, so I have to keep hunting.

EDIT: I'm searching for systems admin role in the Chicago/NWI area. If anyone is willing to help me network, please send me a private message.

Last edited by EightBitz; March 24th, 2017 at 10:26 PM.
EightBitz is offline   #147 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old March 28th, 2017, 11:13 AM
Oh didn't know that you are seeking a position Don't forget to check with LWD maybe they need some dedicated persons Nowadays many of us need always to be watchful regarding jobs... things are certainly not getting better. Anyways all the best with your interview.

If you have time, we can share a remote session or I can upload an export, no problem. I can also check if I can make a recording of how to reproduce the error. I will set something up and write you a PM.

Tables:
I did not really make anything special with it. At first I used the LWD tables, later on I copied tables from word. Most of them are "simple" no shared cells ecetera. My wild guess is some kind of formatting option that (should) trigger "line breaks"

Word Export:
Well, maybe its not the input file missing no idea honestly. It says that that the requested element is not existing in the the collection. Maybe also an issue just with a "german" office? Does the version matter?

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #148 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old April 15th, 2017, 12:10 AM
Hey, guys. I haven't dropped off the face of the earth. I've just been busy. I know I promised some updates for some reported bugs. I haven't forgotten. I started getting an unusually (but very welcomed) high number of phone calls from recruiters and potential employers, and even had a face to face interview. (yay!)

The interview was mixed. They liked the experience I had, but had concerns about certain gaps that were very relevant to their business.

I was supposed to have heard back by now, one way or the other, but I haven't, which means I have to follow up with them on Monday. They stated very firmly that they always follow up, whatever the decision, so maybe it's a good thing I haven't heard back yet. That might mean I'm still in the running. Right? Right?!?!? (Just nod your heads and agree with me.)

I've had a couple of other people who have taken a more-than-trivial interest in my resume. So here's hoping.

In addition to all of that, it's tax season, and my taxes were ... complicated, and I had to go through several thousand emails for some missing documents. (Yeesh!) The good news is that I'm getting a nice refund.

I've also been taking care of my dear, old, elderly mum, and that's kept me busy, too.

So, anyway, yeah. Those updates are still coming.
EightBitz is offline   #149 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old April 15th, 2017, 04:53 AM
Good luck on job search, Eight!
Bidmaron is offline   #150 Reply With Quote