Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

AJC

Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:15 PM
Was wondering if Hero Lab had a "portable" option that would allow it to be installed on a flashdrive? Not too sure what this would mean for the security/license issue, but it would be very convenient for me when trying to balance work/travel/multiple computers.

Thanks in advance,

AJC
AJC is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:48 AM
Pushing AJC idea further, it would be cool to have a I-touch ect app for HL then my toon could always be in my pocket! and updated at the game table with a small device!
SAbel is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 3rd, 2009, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC View Post
Was wondering if Hero Lab had a "portable" option that would allow it to be installed on a flashdrive? Not too sure what this would mean for the security/license issue, but it would be very convenient for me when trying to balance work/travel/multiple computers.
There is no "portable" option for our products. Each license is tied to a specific computer. However, we realize many users have two or more computers on which they want to run our software. So each purchase includes the option for a FREE secondary license that allows you to run a second computer. And up two two additional secondary licenses can be purchased for $10 apiece, bringing the total to four computers.

Since all the licenses are linked, the purchase of additional Hero Lab data sets are all linked together. So if you purchase multiple game systems and/or add-ons for the primary license, all the secondary licenses gain access to those same data sets.

It's not perfect as a portable solution, but we believe it's a pretty reasonable solution that will work well for the vast majority of users. :-)
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 3rd, 2009, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAbel View Post
Pushing AJC idea further, it would be cool to have a I-touch ect app for HL then my toon could always be in my pocket! and updated at the game table with a small device!
We're releasing mobile viewer for the upcoming Army Builder V3.2 release. We're actively looking to do the same for Hero Lab.

Please note that this is a *viewer* and does not allow actual editing. The lack of screen real estate, limited memory, and completely different interface style would require a complete re-think of how to implement a handheld solution. This entails massive development work.

We've been actively discussing a handheld version for awhile now, but we haven't settled on a solution we like yet, so we don't have a handheld product in place yet. The important word here is "yet". :-)
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
AJC

Old July 7th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
There is no "portable" option for our products. Each license is tied to a specific computer. However, we realize many users have two or more computers on which they want to run our software. So each purchase includes the option for a FREE secondary license that allows you to run a second computer. And up two two additional secondary licenses can be purchased for $10 apiece, bringing the total to four computers.

Since all the licenses are linked, the purchase of additional Hero Lab data sets are all linked together. So if you purchase multiple game systems and/or add-ons for the primary license, all the secondary licenses gain access to those same data sets.

It's not perfect as a portable solution, but we believe it's a pretty reasonable solution that will work well for the vast majority of users. :-)
Rob:

Thanks for the response - appreciate it. My primary reason for wanting a portable version is that it frees me from having to load a copy on my work laptop - personal preference more than anything else.

In a "perfect" world, you'd be able to package using the PoratableApps system, but I understand your concerns re copy protection.

Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

Regards,

AJC
AJC is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
munkybut

Old September 30th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Sorry to re-open an old thread, but I figured this would lead to less clutter:

Is there any option for a non-install version of HeroLab? I would like to spend some lunches working on my PC, but would prefer not having IT be notified that I'm installing D&D software
munkybut is offline   #6 Reply With Quote