Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Farling

Old April 24th, 2015, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meek75 View Post
@Viking2054 I hope you are correct in your assertions. If so, things are looking up. One other important issue will be duplication of realms. Will I need to purchase the cloud service to duplicate my own realms for my own use. If I create a base realm with all the rules and fluff I want, then I need to be able to duplicate that ream to use repeatedly. From what I have read the duplication of realms requires marketplace, but if they don't charge for marketplace then that will not be a problem.
Wait for Liz's post, it might answer.
Farling is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old April 24th, 2015, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampagingHoardes View Post
I have to agree with a good part of this. I love realm works but for me I thought the backup was part of it, even though I was apprehensive at first about doing it.

I don't want to stop using RW though but really hope they reconsider this. I shouldn't have to pay a high fee just too back up my data. To me the price was a bit high for this product but I do love it.

Also what happens to my data if I don't pay the fee right off - or for some time? Do you delete what you have after my 6mos freebee is up? What if I don't pay and crash the next day can I still get restored or am I SOL? (Maybe LWD can chime in here)

Not everyone has the cash for this kind of expense. I have a lot of health issues and my finances are strapped. Now with 2 copies that will be 100 bucks a year that's absurd for me. I loved this product so much that I got a second copy for our household to avoid issues with 2 ppl entering content, but now I am thinking it may have been a mistake.

I thought our free trial time was so we could try out the store and see if it is worth getting (although I think charging to get into a store is a bad idea as well).

Also checking out the new site for RW (wasn't up when I bought that I know of) it says that this pricing is for a "standard tier" so does that mean things will be increased more? It also mentions it can hold enough data for a Pathfinder Adventure Path? Does this mean I am limited on my world size? This could be very problematic depending on how big this cap is.... Hopefully someone (LWD) can answer this?

Again, I really hope LWD reconsiders their strategy on this.
You can still run backups without the cloud. Then you store those backups wherever you want. Dropbox, CD, USB stick, wherever.
EightBitz is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 24th, 2015, 07:40 AM
@meek75, I can address a few of your concerns right now.

Quote:
1. If I don't need to share my realms with others (beyond myself) then why do I need to pay for that service?
Cloud service is not required, as we share on our website. If you want to back up your local Master.realm file via an external hard-drive or your own cloud back-up, you're welcome to do so. However, backing-up via our cloud service, sharing content with players via Player Edition and the web, and using some some (but not all) capabilities of the Content Market will require cloud service (more info on Content Market forthcoming).

Quote:
3. If I don't have cloud storage will I still be able to get RW updates and create new realms?
Yes! All users will receive updates and will be able to create new realms with or without cloud service. The only requirement for these two functions is having an internet connection. The reason for requiring an internet connection when creating realms can be found here.

Your second question will be addressed in my upcoming post.
liz is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old April 24th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Thanks Liz. I'll be patient and wait for further info, but I appreciate the immediate feedback.
meek75 is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old April 25th, 2015, 01:09 AM
Quote:
RPG Now stores all my purchases in their cloud for free!
I believe there is a significant difference here.

As I understand it, RPG Now has a server containing all their products - one of each.

Then they have a small text file in which they somewhere write a simple line:
Customer X has access to product Q2536, L2827, F2426
or something similar. This takes up no place at all.

In comparison LW stores a lot of data from each individual realm, including maps, movie clips, sound bits and loads of texts and database thingies.

My database backup takes up 65 MiB and honestly, my realm is really puny - especially compared to some of the screenshots I have seen on the fora.

I don't know how many customers LW has, but I hope it adds up to quiet a lot.

So, of course the RPG Now service is for free- it takes up one GB or so (pure guess work on my part) whereas LW actually has to set server capacity aside "just for" storing our realms - including the CPU cycles handling the synching.

Whether that makes the price acceptable or not is up to each individual customer.

LATER ADDITION:

Mee - Viking2054 beat me to it - I have to remember to read the whole thread before answering to any posts...

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Last edited by Vargr; April 25th, 2015 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Adding later addition
Vargr is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
RampagingHoardes

Old April 25th, 2015, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
You can still run backups without the cloud. Then you store those backups wherever you want. Dropbox, CD, USB stick, wherever.
Already am doing that now. But I use the sync too to make sure I have another back up in case of a catastrophic event. I trust my data is safe based on what Lonewolf has said in the past my gut tells me I can trust them. I understood the sync to be part of RW from the onset which I may have gotten wrong but hopefully that isn't the case.

At any rate I don't trust these third party cloud services to put my files on. If you look at how some of the bigger companies are behaving with regard to your content it is pretty sad. But hey the stooges in charge are doing it right?

Last edited by RampagingHoardes; April 25th, 2015 at 10:26 AM.
RampagingHoardes is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
Avi

Old April 25th, 2015, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampagingHoardes View Post
At any rate I don't trust these third party cloud services to put my files on. If you look at how some of the bigger companies are behaving with regard to your content it is pretty sad. But hey the stooges in charge are doing it right?
If you don't trust them, zip/encrypt your files before uploading...
No one broke AES256 yet ...
Avi is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
RampagingHoardes

Old April 26th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avi View Post
If you don't trust them, zip/encrypt your files before uploading...
No one broke AES256 yet ...
I'm pretty sure all encryption can be broken with enough time and computing power :P
RampagingHoardes is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 30th, 2015, 07:12 PM
As promised ... news about the cloud service: http://www.wolflair.com/realmworks/2...cloud-service/

This update was also included in the newsletter that went out this evening.
liz is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old April 30th, 2015, 09:02 PM
Nice to see that you'll be extending the six months free cloud service until after the content market is launched.
MNBlockHead is offline   #40 Reply With Quote