Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

mirtos

Old August 28th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Yep. But for me it was having hardware that went kablooey.
mirtos is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
RampagingHoardes

Old August 30th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
+10 to ups
The first time you have to rework a file you have spent hours, days or weeks working on you will either thank yourself or kick yourself depending on the decision to buy vs not.
:-)
Unfortunately they are pretty expensive and I have limited income.
RampagingHoardes is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 30th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampagingHoardes View Post
Unfortunately they are pretty expensive and I have limited income.
Something to consider for the future, then. You don't have to go all out with these things; there are decent ones in the $50-$100 range that will be enough to get through short power blips safely and still give your computer time to shut down when needed.

Last edited by Parody; August 30th, 2014 at 02:24 PM.
Parody is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 30th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Something to consider for the future, then. You don't have to go all out with these things; there are decent ones in the $50-$100 range that will be enough to get through short power blips safely and still give your computer time to shut down when needed.
The other bonus of a UPS is that it gives constant clean power to your PC. Modern PC's can easily be affected by dirty power which can cause all sorts of strange issues.

UPS's are pretty mandatory on high end gaming rigs as they are often being overclocked.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 30th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
The other bonus of a UPS is that it gives constant clean power to your PC. Modern PC's can easily be affected by dirty power which can cause all sorts of strange issues.
UPSes that give actual clean power (not just a square wave) are very expensive. Still, if your area has bad power any UPS can be a huge improvement.

Quote:
UPS's are pretty mandatory on high end gaming rigs as they are often being overclocked.
I don't understand why people waste their money building "high end gaming rigs"; nowadays you can build a decent game playing computer for what you'd pay for just one of the 2-4 video cards in the expensive machine. But whatever, if they enjoy it then more power to them. (Literally! :)

More importantly, I doubt the majority of users are going to use a high-end overclocked water-cooled gaming rig to type their campaign data into Realm Works. You just don't need that sort of power for RW.

Last edited by Parody; August 30th, 2014 at 03:20 PM.
Parody is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old August 30th, 2014, 06:37 PM
Gaming alone? agree. But a lot of people ave them for other Purposes. My hi end gaming rig is actually used for business purposes - video editing. Water cooling is actually quite cheap these days if you go with self contained units. More importantly though, people spend lts of money to back up their files, I don't get why not spend a little bit of money keeping the computer in good repair. A UPS will often add years of life to even a midrange computer.
mirtos is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old August 30th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
I don't understand why people waste their money building "high end gaming rigs"; nowadays you can build a decent game playing computer for what you'd pay for just one of the 2-4 video cards in the expensive machine. But whatever, if they enjoy it then more power to them. (Literally! :)
Thanks for the good laugh! Your "decent" computer is going to be running on "low" settings for any good games just to be playable. This comment is same as a person telling me that they have a V6 car with 250HP and "how" powerful it is. LOL

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 30th, 2014, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
Gaming alone? agree. But a lot of people ave them for other Purposes. My hi end gaming rig is actually used for business purposes - video editing. Water cooling is actually quite cheap these days if you go with self contained units.
There's a big difference between wanting improved performance for business purposes and wanting higher benchmark numbers solely to brag about having higher benchmark numbers. The latter is what bugs me.

Quote:
Thanks for the good laugh! Your "decent" computer is going to be running on "low" settings for any good games just to be playable. This comment is same as a person telling me that they have a V6 car with 250HP and "how" powerful it is. LOL
I was speaking about bang for your buck, not power. I fully admit they're not as powerful but they handle everything we want to do with them just fine, including playing games on the LAN.

In any case, I'm sorry for complaining about a pet peeve of mine and derailing this thread even further.

Parody is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old August 30th, 2014, 11:50 PM
I was just kidding around with you. Sorry my strange humor does not come across in posts. My bad.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #19 Reply With Quote