Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Merion

Old January 13th, 2019, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Also when ever one of these changes to the look of RW is made the default should be the way RW has always looked/worked.
That is a question of philosohy. I personally think it should be the other way around. The default look and feel after install should always be the newest iteration, but there should be the option to revert to the old style for those who don't like it.

If you have to turn on the new version manually, few people will do that and try it and the devs usually have good reasons for changing things, so it suggests itself that this should be default.
Merion is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 14th, 2019, 10:27 AM
Our philosophy is this...

If something is purely additive and something that may benefit a subset of users, the old behavior is left as the default and the new behavior is opt-in.

However, if it's something we deem as "best practice" or that we feel the vast majority of users will want to adopt, the new behavior becomes the default and the old behavior is kept available so that anyone who dislikes it can go back to the old way.

As @Merion pointed out, if we don't make something the default, few users - now and into the future - will explore and discover it. And that greatly diminishes the value of adding it in the first place. So we have to weigh each change on its own merits in this regard.

Thanks!
rob is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
BlMage

Old January 14th, 2019, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion View Post
Go to Preferences -> Content Display and you can check the box that says "Display Links in Blue" if you prefer the old style.
Thank you good sir!
BlMage is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 14th, 2019, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Our philosophy is this...

If something is purely additive and something that may benefit a subset of users, the old behavior is left as the default and the new behavior is opt-in.

However, if it's something we deem as "best practice" or that we feel the vast majority of users will want to adopt, the new behavior becomes the default and the old behavior is kept available so that anyone who dislikes it can go back to the old way.

As @Merion pointed out, if we don't make something the default, few users - now and into the future - will explore and discover it. And that greatly diminishes the value of adding it in the first place. So we have to weigh each change on its own merits in this regard.

Thanks!
In this case though the old behavior was the universal standard for links. Changing them to now be black is non standard and should not be the default.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old January 14th, 2019, 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
In this case though the old behavior was the universal standard for links. Changing them to now be black is non standard and should not be the default.
But, but ... it looks smoother in black! Also while still the most often used option, many websites nowadays don't colour links blue anymore but rather use a colour from their corporate identity.

TBH, I think we can keep argumenting in circles forever on this, as different people just have different preferences.
Merion is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old January 15th, 2019, 03:33 AM
I am using hyperlinks in blue to get visual cues while GM-ing so I don't have to read paragraphs. Black or any other links that merge with the background or the other text is not readable.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 16th, 2019, 12:13 PM
The goal was to have hyperlinks be more subdued and less of a distracting eyesore as the default behavior.

There should be configuration options to have the hyperlinks in the text color OR to have the hyperlinks be shown in the traditional blue (both text and underline). So you have CHOICES that allow all these differing user preferences to be accommodated.

If you want the old, traditional behavior, you CAN have it. Just toggle the setting.

There is also another choice available, for those who dislike visual noise, which is to have hyperlinks only shown when the mouse moves over one.

This combination of options gives users - who have a wide range of preferences - the ability to tailor the UI more closely to what they like.
rob is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
ibecker

Old January 16th, 2019, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
If you want the old, traditional behavior, you CAN have it. Just toggle the setting.
I agree that more choices are better. However, I *always* want the links to be blue (the old behavior), and now I have to change it every time I create a realm. (A minor annoyance, of course, but an annoyance nonetheless...)
Could you add a way to set these things globally, to take effect whenever a new realm is created?

-Ian
ibecker is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old January 17th, 2019, 04:21 PM
Now if we could just catch up with the 1980s and have the links Change color after visiting....
Bidmaron is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 17th, 2019, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
Now if we could just catch up with the 1980s and have the links Change color after visiting....
No please, I don't want multiple colored links/words in my realms.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #20 Reply With Quote