Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Trelander

Old April 17th, 2015, 06:40 AM
So I am uploading encounter files to realmworks from Combat Manager, and some other PDF's / Excel files etc. When you download them however it gives them some ridiculous randomized name.

I am sure this is done for a reason but I am curious as to why?
Trelander is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old April 17th, 2015, 11:26 AM
Realm Works writes a temporary version of the file first, then does whatever action you told Realm Works to do. Often this is telling Windows to open the file so that it gets opened in the application you've assigned in Explorer.

To make sure Realm Works can write the new file without stomping on any files that already exist it (likely) asks Windows for a unique file name, and Windows generates randomized file names when you do that.

Last edited by Parody; April 17th, 2015 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Corrected myself, since I don't know for sure how it generates random file names.
Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old April 17th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Good Idea to use orginal file name + <saved date in RW>
if name is too long, cut off at the end and add the saved date in RW.

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
RampagingHoardes

Old April 25th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelander View Post
So I am uploading encounter files to realmworks from Combat Manager, and some other PDF's / Excel files etc. When you download them however it gives them some ridiculous randomized name.

I am sure this is done for a reason but I am curious as to why?

We can upload files into realmworks? Does this mean I don't have to keep manually entering everything? How does this work can it splinter topics? When did this happen (been away from RW for a while) lol
RampagingHoardes is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old April 25th, 2015, 01:03 PM
You can upload files. Whole files. Not paragraphs, not sections, not topics. It's just like an image file, sound file, HL file. Keep in mind though that there is a file size limit so many PDF's won't fit. And it may impact your storage space in the RW cloud. These were not the droids you were seeking.
AEIOU is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
RampagingHoardes

Old April 25th, 2015, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
You can upload files. Whole files. Not paragraphs, not sections, not topics. It's just like an image file, sound file, HL file. Keep in mind though that there is a file size limit so many PDF's won't fit. And it may impact your storage space in the RW cloud. These were not the droids you were seeking.
Bummer Hopefully this is coming

Where are the limitations listed for Files sizes, Realm sizes etc?
RampagingHoardes is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old April 25th, 2015, 01:58 PM
Files are 30 megs. Realm limits haven't been announced.

Parody is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
RampagingHoardes

Old April 25th, 2015, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Files are 30 megs. Realm limits haven't been announced.
I am figuring you must be able to have multiple files per realm. My databases is over 90 megs already and I am just getting started. I sure hope there will be huge realm limits if any.

Hopefully LWD can answer on the realm & database limits I don't want to build this up and hit a wall where I can't add to my realm. Assuming there will eventually be a limit how will things be handled when it is hit? Hopefully there will be some solutions to mitigate this problem assuming it becomes one.
RampagingHoardes is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old April 25th, 2015, 04:59 PM
I think your wallet will be the limit rather than some quasi-technical limit. The database will undoubtedly hold whatever we put into it but tiers of access will likely be based on database sizes and/or data transmission needs. I'm top tier for life so I'm not concerned but it may be an issue for others which is why I mentioned it.
AEIOU is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old April 25th, 2015, 05:04 PM
I tried to attach some large PDF's and went past the limit -- 30 megs is actually pretty generous but I was past that. Slumbering Tsar from Frog God Games is almost 1000 pages which is a module that is 2 inches thick.... Much of their stuff requires reinforced shelving.... And I was also looking into a huge Wilderlands supplement that didn't fit. I'm saving the PDF's to directories rather than stuffing them into RW.
AEIOU is offline   #10 Reply With Quote