Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Lawful_g
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 6th, 2009, 01:53 PM
There is a set of substitution levels I am currently working on that adds levels of armor proficiency, but in a non-standard way. The base class has light armor proficiency, and for each substitution level that is taken (1st, 3rd and 7th) it goes up by 1 level.

The 1st level one is easy, because the player could not have taken any levels prior, so they automatically gain medium armor proficiency. How do I set a condition expression for the bootstrapped feats on 3rd and 7th to check if previous levels have been taken (for example, 3rd needs to check if 1st has been taken and apply the bootstrap for heavy if so, otherwise, only add medium) and bootstrap the armor proficiency as appropriate?

The way I have been trying is on 1st level, I bootstrap Medium Armor, no Condition.

On 3rd level, I bootstrap both Medium with a condition expression of : count:ClassVary.cvArmiger1 + count:ClassVary.cvArmiger3 =1

and heavy with a condition of :
count:ClassVary.cvArmiger1 + count:ClassVary.cvArmiger3 =2

On 7th level I bootstrap both again, Medium:
count:ClassVary.cvArmiger1 + count:ClassVary.cvArmiger3 + count:ClassVary.cvArmiger7 >=1

Heavy:
count:ClassVary.cvArmiger1 + count:ClassVary.cvArmiger3 + count:ClassVary.cvArmiger7 >=2

The bootstrap requirements are never being met and the feats never added, even when the correct substitution levels are being taken.
Lawful_g is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 6th, 2009, 05:30 PM
What's the timing of your bootstrap condition? The ClassVary.? tags are forwarded to the hero at First/10000, so I'd suggest First/11000.

Also, could you explain what your goal is? How is the rule defined? If all each class variant does is to add the next level of proficiency, why not put the requirement for the previous level of proficiency in a prereq, rather than in the bootstrap condition?
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 6th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Your question has confused me a little bit. I don't think I can use a pre-requisite rule while bootstrapping feats. The timing was first 10000, upon changing it to First 11000 with the above script, both medium and heavy are added regardless of how many armiger levels have been taken.

I'll try to explain what the goal is again.

The base class has light armor proficiency. If you take 1 substitution level (which could be at 1st, 3rd or 7th level) then you get medium armor proficiency feat. If you have any combination of 2 of the substitution levels, you get the Heavy Armor Proficiency feat.

Here is the text from the book:

Armor Proficiency: Armigers become more proficient in armor than standard nobles. With one armiger substitution level, the armiger gains proficiency in medium armor. With two armiger substitution levels, the armiger gains proficiency in heavy armor.
Lawful_g is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 7th, 2009, 10:25 AM
In that case, why not write the class substitutions as follows:

Both are level independent.

The medium armor proficiency has no prereq.

The heavy armor one has a prereq of medium armor proficiency without heavy armor proficiency (testing for the normal proficiency tags on the hero), and a prereq that its minimum level is 3. Both grant their proficiency without requiring anything else.

Because of the prereqs, the user won't be able to add those class variants without validation errors until the class is legal to use them (this is, admittedly, somewhat different from the other class variants, which are designed to be something that can be added anytime before you become eligible for them, but it saves a whole lot of time and trouble in the coding).
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote