Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

salcor

Old November 18th, 2013, 09:05 PM
One of the powerful tools that I was looking forward to using in Realm Works was importing characters and npcs from herolabs. However, I am playing SW Edge of the Empire and there is currently no datafiles for EOTE in herolab. I have a pretty go creation program that can export characters in xml format. Can I import these types of files into Realm Works?

Salcor
salcor is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 18th, 2013, 11:57 PM
You can store the XML files as "external objects". When you want to see the data, it will launch an external application to allow you to view the data.
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 19th, 2013, 04:34 PM
For situations like this you'll want to use the "Foreign Object" snippet type, which you'll find under the "Advanced" sub-menu when adding snippets. This allows you to add files for which Realm Works knows nothing about their contents. Once a file is added, you can trigger it to be viewed in an external program that knows how to use that file. Realm Works will simply tell the operating system to launch the appropriately configured program to view the file.

This technique will work for characters created with other tools. It will also work for things like original map files created with other mapping programs (e.g. Campaign Cartographer, Dundjinni, Hexographer, etc.).
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old November 20th, 2013, 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
For situations like this you'll want to use the "Foreign Object" snippet type, which you'll find under the "Advanced" sub-menu when adding snippets. This allows you to add files for which Realm Works knows nothing about their contents. Once a file is added, you can trigger it to be viewed in an external program that knows how to use that file. Realm Works will simply tell the operating system to launch the appropriately configured program to view the file.

This technique will work for characters created with other tools. It will also work for things like original map files created with other mapping programs (e.g. Campaign Cartographer, Dundjinni, Hexographer, etc.).
Oh sweet. Definitely should be in the manual/best practices doc if it's not already.
weogarth is offline   #4 Reply With Quote