Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

timjthomas

Old November 17th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Any chance of allowing an install without requiring Admin Rights?
timjthomas is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 17th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Admin rights are required for any attempt to write into the "Program Files" directory, which is where are programs are installed. Consequently, installing the product requires admin rights. This is standard for all standalone products I'm aware of.

Once the product is installed, admin rights are no longer needed. They are only needed for installation.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
timjthomas

Old November 18th, 2013, 05:33 AM
Thanks Rob. I'd like to be able to install it in any directory - even a USB stick if possible. So if you know of a way to do that, please let me know.

I assume "ziping" the Program Files directory to move it to another computer would not work?
timjthomas is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
JackOfAllGames

Old November 18th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Admin rights are required for any attempt to write into the "Program Files" directory, which is where are programs are installed. Consequently, installing the product requires admin rights. This is standard for all standalone products I'm aware of.
I believe that Google Chrome and some other programs make use of the %userprofile%\AppData\ area of Windows Vista/7, allowing installation without triggering UAC, but then the installation is tied to that single user account. Perhaps the OP was referring to that type of installation? Just a thought.
JackOfAllGames is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old November 18th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOfAllGames View Post
I believe that Google Chrome and some other programs make use of the %userprofile%\AppData\ area of Windows Vista/7, allowing installation without triggering UAC, but then the installation is tied to that single user account. Perhaps the OP was referring to that type of installation? Just a thought.
FYI, RW also uses the %AppData% folder for some things. Also, I may be recalling this incorrectly but I believe that installing to a memory stick was strongly discouraged.

OP: Just curious, what's the driving factor for avoiding admin rights?
weogarth is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old November 18th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weogarth View Post
Also, I may be recalling this incorrectly but I believe that installing to a memory stick was strongly discouraged.
As I understand it, the database file has some machine-specific data that can get messed up if you move the database from machine to machine directly. In future, when the sync mechanism is fully implemented, each client will connect and sync.

At present, the only method I have seen LoneWolf say works and is safe is to backup on one machine and restore the backup on the other.
Silveras is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old November 18th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
As I understand it, the database file has some machine-specific data that can get messed up if you move the database from machine to machine directly. In future, when the sync mechanism is fully implemented, each client will connect and sync.

At present, the only method I have seen LoneWolf say works and is safe is to backup on one machine and restore the backup on the other.
That's the db. He was asking about the actual program installation.
weogarth is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 18th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjthomas View Post
Thanks Rob. I'd like to be able to install it in any directory - even a USB stick if possible. So if you know of a way to do that, please let me know.

I assume "ziping" the Program Files directory to move it to another computer would not work?
As Silveras indicated, you CANNOT just move a database around freely or share it across machines. That will undermine all the logic we've got in place for full server syncing and invalidate (probably corrupt) your data. Think of it as on par with crossing the streams...

For those of you who don't get the old reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyaLZHiJJnE

If you intend to use sneaker net, you'll need to properly backup and restore your database via the Manage ribbon bar within the product. Anything else would be bad...
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
timjthomas

Old November 18th, 2013, 02:19 PM
I am fine with moving the database with the Manage option. What I want to do is install the software without having to use Admin rights -- or to run it from a USB stick so that I can use it at work during lunch. Thus my thought of zipping the program files directory.

If not oh well, I will continue to use other options as RW is not of much use to me at this point.
timjthomas is offline   #9 Reply With Quote