Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread

Winterfyre

Old August 29th, 2017, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by karpomatic View Post
I don't think anything has changed. They said Starfinder would drop at the end of the month but neglected to say how it would drop. We now know it's HLO that is dropping. Personally, I think it sucks that it won't be for the desktop version anytime soon (if ever) but I understand. Why make so many different versions of the same system when all these systems access the same internet. As much as I don't like subscription services, I don't mind paying $2 a month for access. Maybe there will be discounts if you pay more up front.
I believe they said it would drop at the end of this month, but are now stating a beta starts end of next month for a select few with most people not having access until later, and with HLO being entirely new, much much later is a possibility.

They've also refused to clarify any of the pertinent details requested except that it will be a HLO only release.

You will still need to buy data packs.

You will also need to pay a subscription.

Rumors abound though.

It may be an online internet connection required all the time release.

You may not be able to use the data packs you paid for if your subscription runs out.

Subscription could increase (will increase. Subscriptions ALWAYS increase in price)

Online product could cease to work at all if server / company goes down (unlike current product)

It may be web browser based, which could be heavily affected by bandwidth.

All of that's bad.

The only upsides I've seen rumored are

They can do spaceships (apparently impossible in current version)

Using a web browser based system may mean we can use android tablets.

ALL of which I would have liked to have had at least some hint at before gencon and sinking $200+ into starfinder.
Winterfyre is offline   #31
talsharien

Old August 29th, 2017, 04:21 PM
I seriously doubt that LW are going to alienate their entire customer base and it seems that a lot of negative points are being covered here. Going online makes a lot of sense in some respects if not all.

My original and still unanswered gripe is that a post was made on the 3rd of August stating that Starfinder support would be brought to us by the end of the month (August therefore based on the language and grammar of the statement). It is highly unlikely that a HLO release schedule was contrived in 3 weeks (such a thing will have been in the planning before August 3rd), so why promise something that won't happen.

It is pretty frustrating and makes me feel a little let down to be honest.
talsharien is offline   #32
Aaron

Old August 29th, 2017, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by talsharien View Post
I seriously doubt that LW are going to alienate their entire customer base and it seems that a lot of negative points are being covered here. Going online makes a lot of sense in some respects if not all.

My original and still unanswered gripe is that a post was made on the 3rd of August stating that Starfinder support would be brought to us by the end of the month (August therefore based on the language and grammar of the statement). It is highly unlikely that a HLO release schedule was contrived in 3 weeks (such a thing will have been in the planning before August 3rd), so why promise something that won't happen.

It is pretty frustrating and makes me feel a little let down to be honest.
Development timelines slip sometimes, especially with big projects, sorry about that.
Aaron is offline   #33
talsharien

Old August 29th, 2017, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Development timelines slip sometimes, especially with big projects, sorry about that.
Okay, thanks Aaron
talsharien is offline   #34
Alewis

Old August 30th, 2017, 10:21 AM
From the FAQ:

"Starfinder is a unique system with various aspects that are much better suited to Hero Lab Online"

What aspects are better suited for online?
Alewis is offline   #35
jphealy

Old August 30th, 2017, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alewis View Post
From the FAQ:

"Starfinder is a unique system with various aspects that are much better suited to Hero Lab Online"

What aspects are better suited for online?
This is the answer in waiting for as well and the only real reason I've seen is starships which doesn't really seem to make sense
jphealy is offline   #36
Tumorseal

Old August 30th, 2017, 04:51 PM
This honestly just comes across as a ploy to force people that want to make characters in the hot new game to migrate over to your new system.

It is seriously leaving a bad taste in my mouth.
Tumorseal is offline   #37
daplunk

Old August 30th, 2017, 05:13 PM
People cried foul about the upgrade of Windows XP but ultimately software gets dated and needs to be refreshed in order to utilize new technology that consumers expect in this era we live in.

A hell of alot has changed in regards to technology and how people use it since HL launched. The consumer base have been screaming for Hero Lab to support more devices and we are getting what we asked for, just in a way that is technically and financially viable for a small company like LWD to provide.

I think LWD are doing a clever thing here that will ultimately make their product a viable and popular option for many more years to come.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #38
jonbens

Old August 30th, 2017, 06:18 PM
OK, so we're thinking several months then. right?

Last edited by jonbens; August 30th, 2017 at 06:21 PM.
jonbens is offline   #39
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 30th, 2017, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by karpomatic View Post
I don't think anything has changed. They said Starfinder would drop at the end of the month but neglected to say how it would drop. We now know it's HLO that is dropping. Personally, I think it sucks that it won't be for the desktop version anytime soon (if ever) but I understand. Why make so many different versions of the same system when all these systems access the same internet. As much as I don't like subscription services, I don't mind paying $2 a month for access. Maybe there will be discounts if you pay more up front.
Nothing has changed, we are still planning on having Starfinder out very soon, it will still be the launch system for Hero Lab Online.

We would love to accommodate every single customer we have, but we simply are not a big enough team to build a new program for every device/need, this is the best answer we have and we truly believe it will be amazing once you get to know it!

Yes, we will absolutely be giving a discount! If you purchase a year subscription it's all of $24.99. We want to keep the rates as low as possible, our goal is NOT to charge a lot, we aren't doing content prices differently, it will still cost the same as Hero Lab Classic and you will have access to the Classic version as well if you want to use the files in both when possible! You buy the system once, you buy the content once. This isn't a "cash grab". We are charging a very small fee for using our service so that we can continue to provide you with character creation and campaign management services far into the future.

Last edited by BJ; August 30th, 2017 at 06:52 PM.
BJ is offline   #40
Closed Thread