Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Randall Jhen

Old February 28th, 2017, 05:35 AM
There are a few things you can try.

1. Create a link to the dud article. Click the link to get to the article.

2. Press Ctrl+Shift+A to pull up the Names dialogue. Add an alternate name that is unique to your realm--"SHVQUALQ" or something.

3. Enter Edit mode. Add a prefix to the dud article. Doing this will move it (and its new alias) to the top of the grouping it's in. And, just for kicks, mouse over the symbol to the right of the article name. It will say: Category "X". Knowing what category it belongs to can help you identify where to look, in case it was created in the wrong category on accident (although, based on your screenshot, that seems unlikely).

4. Do a quick scan of the article list. If your new, unique alias shows up somewhere, you know that's the family with the article. If you're still not seeing it, try searching for the new, unique alias. This will filter down the results to only that topic.

5. If you've done all that and still can't see the article, I'd say you've definitely encountered a bug. Exit Edit mode in the dud article. Click the Tools menu. At the bottom, there is a "Delete Topic" option.
Randall Jhen is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old February 28th, 2017, 07:23 AM
Don't delete the Topic/Article until you hear back from LWD. If it's a bug they may want to look at your local database so they can try to figure out what went wrong and prevent it from happening to others.

(Alternatively, keep a copy of your master.realm file that you know has the problem.)

Last edited by Parody; February 28th, 2017 at 07:26 AM.
Parody is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
ErinRigh

Old February 28th, 2017, 07:52 AM
Can you rename the article? At least that way it would stop trying to link to it.
ErinRigh is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Mystic Lemur

Old March 3rd, 2017, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
RW is supposed to handle all text in Unicode and in my testing, which admittedly hasn't been more than cursory it does. It certainly has no problem with any of the symbols in a couple of my Unicode fonts that I've tried.

You should keep in mind that this is based on the HTML standard and on the installed fonts on the machine rendering the text so when exporting a realm do not expect things like nonstandard scripts like Elvish or Klingon which have unofficial Unicode pages to appear correctly.
Although, if a certain font is needed to make the most of your content, you could include it as a foreign object in the realm with a snippet explaining how to install it.
Mystic Lemur is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old March 3rd, 2017, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Lemur View Post
Although, if a certain font is needed to make the most of your content, you could include it as a foreign object in the realm with a snippet explaining how to install it.
Careful... many fonts are owned intellectual property, and giving them away would be illegal.
Silveras is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old March 3rd, 2017, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Lemur View Post
With the caveat that you should make sure you have permission to distribute the font. Most fonts are copyrighted. The terms of use usually allow you free use for a normal document, but they do not usually allow redistribution of the font itself, neither by digital means nor by a document whose purpose is to showcase and distribute the font.

I would recommend against redistribution of a font unless it is explicitly public domain or its terms of use explicitly allow redistribution or you have express written permission from the font's copyright holder.
EightBitz is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Ckorik

Old March 4th, 2017, 03:24 AM
Wow...

There are hundreds of fonts you can use for free.

https://fontlibrary.org/

In the context of our wonderful hobby - my guess would be a specific font that is fan created to represent (for example) dwarven runes or giant language. While I won't say it's impossible so far every one of those I've come across are free.

I appreciate the caution guys but if we are going to jump on the bandwagon I remind everyone here that any copy/paste from a PDF is unauthorized by every single license I've seen (even very permissive ones) - so that'd be illegal along with displaying that content via say a web viewer or other medium. Ditto for art taken from almost any web source...

*cough*

Just saying...
Ckorik is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old March 4th, 2017, 06:55 AM
Excess fonts can lead to crashing due to lack of memory in RW if you have too many. So be careful on how many free fonts you decide to install.
AEIOU is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old March 4th, 2017, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckorik View Post
Wow...

There are hundreds of fonts you can use for free.

https://fontlibrary.org/

In the context of our wonderful hobby - my guess would be a specific font that is fan created to represent (for example) dwarven runes or giant language. While I won't say it's impossible so far every one of those I've come across are free.

I appreciate the caution guys but if we are going to jump on the bandwagon I remind everyone here that any copy/paste from a PDF is unauthorized by every single license I've seen (even very permissive ones) - so that'd be illegal along with displaying that content via say a web viewer or other medium. Ditto for art taken from almost any web source...

*cough*

Just saying...
There are certain contexts in which sharing information from PDFs could fall under fair use.

I am not a lawyer, so don't take this as gospel, but it is my understanding that most RPG publishers expect you and allow you to share content with your players. If I copy and paste small bits from a PDF into a realm for a game I'm running, and reveal those pasted bits to my players as the game unfolds, that's not really a big deal (again, IANAL).

However, if I attach the entire PDF document to a snippet, I'm pretty sure a fair use argument won't stand up to scrutiny. Mind you, this example comes down to the likelihood of being caught, but were that to happen, I'm pretty sure I would have no valid legal defense.

Pasting small bits of text from a PDF into realm you intend to widely distribute would probably be OK if you cited the source to give credit to the publishers and were very careful about how much you copied and pasted. There's not hard and fast rule about crossing the line of fair use, but a bit of common sense could go a long way.

Pasting art work, I think, puts you on less solid ground, but if you pasted one or two objects, and again made sure to cite the source, I think you could make an argument for fair use.

The underlying point is that yes, copying and pasting from PDFs could have legal consequences, and you do have to be careful.

Attaching a font to a realm that you share or distribute falls well outside of fair use.

It's not about whether or not you share. It's about proportion, context, proper citation, and making a good-faith effort.
EightBitz is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 4th, 2017, 10:44 AM
Fair use has very specific limitations.

Fair use allows reproduction of copyrighted material for the purposes of criticism, commentary, news reporting, teaching scholarship or research.

Therefore using any portion of a copyrighted PDF, text or art, in a RW realm and claiming fair use as the justification for the taking is exceptionally unlikely to succeed.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #20 Reply With Quote