Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

JackOfAllGames

Old January 30th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Hello! I'm a newbie to D&D and recently heard about your Hero Labs software. I've heard great things about it from multiple sources.

Today, I decided to try downloading hero labs to try out the D&D 4E character builder. To my surprise, Google Chrome stopped the download, informing me that it's malicious. Now, I told Chrome to keep the file anyway and scanned it with my normal AV. Nothing appears wrong. This smells like a false positive from Google. I don't know how one deals with a false positive from Google, but I thought I'd at least hop over here and mention it in case you guys aren't aware.
JackOfAllGames is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 30th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Unfortunately, this happens every time we release a new update. Google assumes all downloads are bad until proven otherwise. Since we just released a new update earlier today, Chrome assumes it's bad. As soon as enough users download it and nobody reports a problem to Google, they mark it as valid and the warnings stop.

As far as we can determine, Google is not doing any actual tests of the file to determine whether it's bad. They just assume it is, even though it passes every anti-virus test you can throw at it. Only after enough users ignore the warning and download it anyway do they declare it "safe". It's incredibly lame, but there's not much us little guys can go about it.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
JackOfAllGames

Old January 30th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Ahh, gotcha. Sorry to hear that this is an ongoing issue with Chrome. Until today, I wasn't even aware that Chrome checked downloaded files. Anyway, sorry to be a bother.

I'm in the midst of linking Hero Lab with DDI to try it out. I look forward to testing it out once it finishes!
JackOfAllGames is offline   #3 Reply With Quote