Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

aroguespirit

Old December 8th, 2012, 05:28 PM
After searching and noticing I was not the only one requesting hero lab for nonwindows devices I wanted to ask some questions and make some suggestions.

I was wondering if there might be a hero lab app available on Google Play anytime soon or a version of hero lab for android is being developed? Perhaps a program that allows you to sync your hero lab files to an online version of hero lab and back might solve the problem?

A lot of the people I game with are using ipads, android phones, or other tablets of some kind and we all agree it would be nice to be able to carry the program away from our computers and to more table convenient devices.

Thank you,

ARS
aroguespirit is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
John
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 9th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Hi!

We are currently working on an iPad version of Hero Lab, the first phase of which will be an in-play character sheet for Pathfinder. Once we have built out the remainder of Hero Lab for the iPad, we'll be looking at an Android version.

You can find some additional information regarding our plans in these editions of our newsletter:

http://www.wolflair.com/index.php?co...ly_2012#tablet

http://www.wolflair.com/index.php?co...mber_2012#ipad

http://www.wolflair.com/index.php?co...mber_2012#ipad
John is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Zerias

Old January 30th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Interesting.

I would have thought given the target market of Lone Wolf (hardcore gamer), that the Android Platform would be given priority over iOS.
Zerias is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 4th, 2013, 01:40 PM
You may well be right that more "hardcore gamers" are on Android than iOS, but those hardcore gamers still make up a minority of our customers. iOS has a number of advantages over android (less fragmentation, harder to pirate software, etc) that make it a better candidate for our initial tablet implementations.

A lot of the code we're writing will be reusable for the android platform as well, so once we're done with the iPad port, there won't be nearly as much work to do to move to a new tablet platform (as long as it supports C++, which I believe Android and windows 8 tablets both do).
Colen is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
JackOfAllGames

Old February 4th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Interesting. If there were an Android version of the software, that would be a big selling point for me as well. (While I have nothing against Apple, I don't like their general philosophy. I like to be able to hack, customize, and do whatever I want with my own property. Android is far friendlier in that area.) I look forward to the day that an Android version is available. I've been looking into D&D Android apps (and getting tablet better than my old Archos 101) and haven't seen anything really good for character management so far. So far, it seems that most of the apps are on iOS. It's a shame. =/

Last edited by JackOfAllGames; February 4th, 2013 at 02:25 PM.
JackOfAllGames is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Krimson

Send a message via MSN to Krimson Send a message via Yahoo to Krimson Send a message via Skype™ to Krimson

Old February 4th, 2013, 04:44 PM
I used to run Hero Lab in Ubuntu and Linux Mint via WINE. Why is this relevant? Apparently there has been some developments in Wine for Android. It's off to a slow start, but it could be something to keep an eye on.
Krimson is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old February 4th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
A lot of the code we're writing will be reusable for the android platform as well, so once we're done with the iPad port, there won't be nearly as much work to do to move to a new tablet platform (as long as it supports C++, which I believe Android and windows 8 tablets both do).
You mean Windows RT, right? I'm running Hero Lab under Windows 8 just fine.

EDIT: My Win8 machine is a touchscreen laptop, so I tried using Hero Lab with just the touchscreen (including the onscreen keyboard). It's a little clumsy, but doable.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds

Last edited by charlieluce; February 4th, 2013 at 05:50 PM.
charlieluce is online now   #7 Reply With Quote