Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

solscar

Old August 13th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Hi,
I would appreciate any assistance with setting up the following variants within HL d20

Decisive Strike from players handbook 2
Sleeping Tiger Fighting Style from Unearthed Arcana

I am a new user to HL, and have been racking my brain trying to implement the changes, however failing badly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Solscar
solscar is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 13th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Would you mind giving me the details of those variants, please? My copies of those books are buried right now, so I don't know what changes you want to make.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
solscar

Old August 14th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Mathias,

Decisive Strike
Level: 1st
Replaces: Flurry of Blows
Benifit: As a full round action, make one attack with an unarmed strike or special monk weapon, using your highest base attack bonus but taking a -2 penalty on this attack roll. If the attack hits, it deals double damage (as does any other attack you make before the start of your next turn). If you use this strike to deliver a stunning attack, increase the save DC to resist the stun by 2. This is an extraordinary ability
At 5th level, the penalty on the attack roll lessens to -1, and at 9th level it disappears.
At 11th level, you can make two attacks when using this class feature, though no more than one attack can target a single creature. Both attacks use your highest base attack bonus.

Monke Variant: Fighting styles - dictates which bonus feats a monke gets at 1st, 2nd and 6th.

Sleeping Tiger
1st-Level Skill Bonus: Hide
1st-Level Feat: Weapon Finesse
2nd-Level Feat: Improved Initiative
6th-Level Feat: Improved Sunder
6th-Level Bonus ability: Once per round when an opponent would be denied his Dexterity bonus to Armour Class, the monk deals an extra 1d6 points of damage with a melee attack made with a light weapon, Any creature immune to sneak attack is immune to this ability. prerequisites: Hide 9 ranks, Power Attack.

Also was wondering if you know how to change the base monk's starting feats/abilities, I wish to replace the ability to use monk weapons with monastic training.

Anyway thanks for looking into this appreciate it.

Solscar
solscar is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 19th, 2010, 11:21 AM
For Sleeping Tiger, have you taken a look at how the existing monk variant class, Cobra Strike School, is implemented? That one's also a fighting school that specifies which feats are chosen at which levels and has a bonus ability at 6th level.

For the Decisive Strike, study how some of the variant classes for other classes are imeplemented. The Druidic Avenger, perhaps - that's an example of how to remove an existing class special and add new class specials.

If you haven't found it yet, in the editor you can use the "New (Copy)" button on the bottom left to make a copy of something that already exists, in order to study how it works. The things you're looking for are on the "Class Variant" tab.

Once you've figured out the overall process of adding those, I'll be happy to help you with any specific problems you run into.
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
solscar

Old August 20th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks Mathias,

I have managed to workout the Style, but cant find anything that i can use to copy for Decisive Strike feat

Im guessing i just create an new feat?

Solscar
solscar is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 20th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Create a new class special, rather than a feat, for the new ability, and then you can add it to the variant class.
Mathias is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
solscar

Old August 20th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Mathias,

Any ideas for what i could use as a base, something that doubles damage with a negative to attack, requiring a full round action?

Solscar
solscar is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 21st, 2010, 12:02 AM
Damage multipliers can't be handled in HL, so I think all you need to do is generate the appropriate text for the ability. Try the Arcane Archer's Enhance Arrow ability for an example of an ability whose script modifies its name as it increases in levels.
Mathias is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
solscar

Old August 21st, 2010, 09:02 PM
Mathias,

Thanks for the assistance.

Ive worked out most of my issues, I am going to look into a way of adding the damage from a different direction.

Ill let you know how i go.

Solscar
solscar is offline   #9 Reply With Quote