Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Darrin_Kelley

Old February 29th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I'm really looking forward to the Mutants & Masterminds release. I'll buy it as soon as it is ready.
Darrin_Kelley is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Mmurphy

Old March 1st, 2008, 06:42 PM
If anyone is really interested in authoring a RPG, I have one that I have all the rules for as I created the game myself. If no one is interested, I will have to sit down (once the authoring kit is out) and figure out how to create one for myself.
Mmurphy is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
krathen

Old March 7th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Is there anyway to beta test rule sets?
krathen is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 2nd, 2008, 08:06 PM
Man, I've been remiss in getting answers posted to some of these questions. I've been coding round the clock and the time has just flown past. Here how this is expected to work....

At 08:44 PM 2/25/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
Will the Authoring Kit be a free toolset, or will Lone Wolf charge for the full functionality and documentation (or at least as full as can be managed)? It seems like it'll be an awful lot of work on everyone's part, and just giving it away, while a nice gesture, might not make business sense.
You're right about the "business sense" aspect of the Authoring Kit. We've given it a lot of thought and have settled on an approach that we think will work well for everyone. First of all, the Kit will be made available as a free resource for all users. Anyone will be able to create data files for any game system at no charge. However, there is a caveat.

User-created data files will always run in "demo" mode unless a separate package is licensed. This one package will work just like a separate game system, although the one package will support access to ALL user-created data files. Since it will be a separate package, users will be able to choose it as their bundled game system that comes with their product purchase. That means that users who only want to run game system X, for which data files are written by another user, can purchase HL and select the "user-created data files" package when they activate HL. No extra purchase is necessary. If that same user later wants to get access to the d20 files, he can purchase access via the extra package. Similarly, if a d20 user wants to start using game system X, he can purchase the "user-created data files" package as an add-on, just like he would add another game system license today.

I hope that all makes sense. The basic concept is that all user-created data files would be lumped into a single grouping. Access to all of those files would entail a single purchase, which could be bundled with the initial purchase of HL if the user chooses.

There is no need for a user to purchase anything to actually experiment with the Authoring Kit. The full Kit will be accessible to someone who has not yet purchased HL, allowing someone to test drive the Kit and assess whether to make the purchase. The same applies for a user of one of our licensed game systems who wants to dabble with the Kit. Only when someone is convinced that they want to utilize data files created with the Kit (their own or someone else's) will they need to actually purchase access to the separate package.

This approach achieves four goals. First, it works within the framework of our licensing mechanism. Second, it keeps the costs very reasonable to users. Third, it doesn't create conflicts with the data files we're creating under license from various publishers. Lastly, it provides a modicum of revenue to offset the development and maintenance costs of the separate Authoring Kit.

-Rob
rob is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 2nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
At 06:47 AM 3/7/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
Is there anyway to beta test rule sets?
I'm sorry but I don't understand the question. Please clarify, since I can think of a handful of different things you might actually be asking about.
rob is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Scosu

Old September 10th, 2013, 03:15 PM
This would be a dream come true.

How can I help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioscion View Post
Out of curiosity, what game system(s) do you plan on developing data files for?

I'd start with a true oldie but goodie Marvel Super Heroes. Which thinking about it will either be exceptionally easy or be a complete nightmare because it isn't d20 based at all. I'm guessing the latter since I'm still working on learning all the coding. The public wiki sounds like a great idea and the concern over needing to have internet access is a small one with wireless connections and all the current technology.
Scosu is offline   #16 Reply With Quote